Glasgow Pubs for Moldova Match - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Glasgow Pubs for Moldova Match

Rich NATA

Not travelling to Moldova, but will be flying into Glasgow on Friday; in advance of the Denmark match.

I don't think I've ever seen a Scotland match on TV in Glasgow; because I've always been at the match. 

Anyone recommend anywhere in the city centre to watch the Moldova match on TV?

Somewhere with a passionate crowd and some good beers.

1 minute ago, dougiemacfarlanearran said:

Clockwork mount Florida good and church on the hill battlefield Rd good but may need to book the church! Gets full quickly now on match days!

I mean somewhere in the city centre showing the Moldova away match on Friday night.

17 minutes ago, dougiemacfarlanearran said:

Ah fair does, kitty o sheas and rhoderick dhu next to each other on Waterloo st just outside top entrance at central n turn left just off hope st! Lots of tellys n great pint 👍

Everyone to their own tastes and all that, but I would avoid both these places like the plague. Same with Walkabout (if still open) and The Ark which is just a horrendous chain pub. 

After humming and hawing, with all the above discounted quickly, we settled on The Admiral for the Israel game - just a wee bit further up from Rhoderick Dhu. Really good afternoon/evening in there. If want to jump in a taxi and go 5 mins from central then BAaD at the Barras is always great for Scotland games if don't want to be anywhere dark/dingy. If can't get a table/seat then nip across to St Lukes.

4 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

I mean somewhere in the city centre showing the Moldova away match on Friday night.

The Rhoderick Dhu on Waterloo St is a good pub, they'll have it on.  You could also try Hootenanny's on St Enoch Square or the State Bar on Holland St. 

The Admiral, at the other end of Waterloo St, will probably be showing it too but as it's a Friday they'll probably have bouncers on and those bouncers are often cocks, so I'd probably look elsewhere if I were you.

Also, it's not quite in the city centre (it's a couple of stops on the subway or short taxi ride away) but Dram on Woodlands Road will also have the game on.  The food in there is decent too.

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

The Rhoderick Dhu on Waterloo St is a good pub, they'll have it on.  You could also try Hootenanny's on St Enoch Square or the State Bar on Holland St. 

The Admiral, at the other end of Waterloo St, will probably be showing it too but as it's a Friday they'll probably have bouncers on and those bouncers are often cocks, so I'd probably look elsewhere if I were you.

Also, it's not quite in the city centre (it's a couple of stops on the subway or short taxi ride away) but Dram on Woodlands Road will also have the game on.  The food in there is decent too.

Admiral will be fine. Never had any issues with the bouncers there. 

11 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

My local. 

Tremendous. 

Used to be my weekend local when i'd go up to Glasgow to visit the future missus who lived on Bath Street.

Is The Griffin still going? That was a crackin pub too

8 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Used to be my weekend local when i'd go up to Glasgow to visit the future missus who lived on Bath Street.

Griffin was shut for about a year but open now the kings has opened 

I prefer the State though. More of a "pub" with regulars etc.

Thanks all.

I know of most of these places and in some cases have stuck my head in the door on past nights out and decided against them (simply because they were too quiet on those particular nights).

This is different; it's all about watching the Moldova match and that's all that matters.

Strange to think in the gazillion times I've been in Glasgow for Scotland matches, I've never once gone looking to watch any other football on TV in a sports bar. 

The State getting a mention surprised me. She's a beautiful pub, but I would never have thought, 'Football on TV? The State'.

Anyway, thanks all.

On 11/9/2021 at 9:46 PM, csinclair said:

Have only been after a match not during, but The State is a cracking pub

It is - a lovely wee boozer.  Great selection of beers.  

On 11/9/2021 at 10:38 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

Admiral will be fine. Never had any issues with the bouncers there. 

Neither have I personally but I have seen them in operation and they have a well-deserved reputation for being difficult, particularly when the pub is expected to be busy.

There may be no issue on Friday - it is an early-ish KO, after all - but I couldn't honestly recommend the Admiral to a visitor to Glasgow.

On 11/9/2021 at 10:50 PM, Dave78 said:

Happy to report that it has recently re-opened (unlike Blackfriars in the Merchant City unfortunately - I loved that pub).

5 hours ago, dj mick said:

My Mate, Dave Ross, Owns the Admiral, I'll pass on the feedback.

👍

If he's read his pub's reviews on Google or TripAdvisor it won't be news to him though!

2 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Ah b*ll*cks...

After all that, I've just learned the match kicks off early (at 5pm).

I'll be in mid-descent to GLA at that time.

Anywhere landside at GLA airport to watch it?

🤣 Sorry mate, cannae help you there!