Hickey - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hickey

Squirrelhumper

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Waste of time? Tell that to the players who get called up for the youth squads. 

Should we only have a full international side?

You've written some  utter shite on here over the years but that's right up there.

ProudScot my arse.

Calm down precious 😂

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

I gather he's pulled out before and hasn't yet played for the U21s. Just a quickie - he doesn't have any other countries he might be able to represent? An Italian granny or something? If he played in an U21 qualifier he'd be tied to Scotland.

If he's stuck with Scotland, as you were.

Unless something has changed recently this is not correct. 

Scott Arfield, for example, played in U21 qualifiers for Scotland but now represents Canada. 

Hickey seems as if he’s got his head screwed on in terms of his own personal development. That’s maybe translated into a bit of selfishness/self-protection, combined with club pressure given additional travel & Covid, etc. 

I’m not quite sure that equates to Billy big baws attitude but I guess we’ll see how it develops over time. 

Given his level u21 football for Scotland is a bit of a waste of time. It brings nothing in terms of development for him.

He just turned 19 at the start of the season and came off a very long term injury and surgery. I'm inclined to give a 19 year old a break. A 2 week break is probably better for him long term than meaningless games under a horrific manager. You don't want to burn him out and his body starting to bring about recurring injuries like Tierney.

6 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Given his level u21 football for Scotland is a bit of a waste of time. It brings nothing in terms of development for him.

He just turned 19 at the start of the season and came off a very long term injury and surgery. I'm inclined to give a 19 year old a break. A 2 week break is probably better for him long term than meaningless games under a horrific manager. You don't want to burn him out and his body starting to bring about recurring injuries like Tierney.

Bang on. What does under 21 football do for someone starting every week in one of the worlds best leagues. 

Add in his injury problems & it’s quite obvious why he’s asked to be left out. I’m sure it’s been communicated to Gemmill and the SFA from his camp in the correct manner and there’s zero issue. 

4 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Hickey seems as if he’s got his head screwed on in terms of his own personal development. That’s maybe translated into a bit of selfishness/self-protection, combined with club pressure given additional travel & Covid, etc. 

I’m not quite sure that equates to Billy big baws attitude but I guess we’ll see how it develops over time. 

Not the exact same but Andy Murray got dogs abuse for his attitude in his early years. Yet turned out it was what he needed to reach the very top.

Most fans have no idea what it takes to succeed at the highest level in sport. God, most of our players dont. 

Its his career, its his body. He knows it wont go down well but has made the call. It will either work out for him or not. If he goes on to progress in Italy and becomes a regular for our 1st team then I doubt many of us will care that he pulled out of a few U21 squads managed by Gemmill years earlier.

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

Not the exact same but Andy Murray got dogs abuse for his attitude in his early years. Yet turned out it was what he needed to reach the very top.

Most fans have no idea what it takes to succeed at the highest level in sport. God, most of our players dont. 

Its his career, its his body. He knows it wont go down well but has made the call. It will either work out for him or not. If he goes on to progress in Italy and becomes a regular for our 1st team then I doubt many of us will care that he pulled out of a few U21 squads managed by Gemmill years earlier.

Wasn't Tierney getting similar dogs abuse at a young age for stuff like this. Now it all goes by the wayside due to his ability. 

I am somewhere in the middle on this.

Obviously, he's immensely talented to get where he is and being looked at by AC Milan but his career is just starting and he's not proven himself enough at international level whereas Robertson and Tierney have. He'd probably be far close to the full squad if he'd turned up for the last few U-21 squads and impressed.

His time will come no doubt though but the position he plays in we have an abundance of riches already in the squad who have done the hard miles and proven themselves at international level.

11 hours ago, csinclair said:

I agree with this. It feels incredibly similar to the Tierney situation. 

Tierney was starting in the europa league but not playing for Scotland. This was apparently to help him with injuries, it's turns out he's still made from balsa wood

On 11/12/2021 at 12:31 PM, dandydunn said:

Not sure what all the hype about being linked with AC Milan is all about, they’re fucking crap. 

Lol ac Milan are 2nd in serie a, equal on points with first. Thats seven places above his current team. They might not be the great team they once were but they are far from crap. 

On 11/10/2021 at 6:46 PM, AlfieMoon said:

Well the COVID bit doesn't wash. Patterson had it whilst o international duty but it has not stopped him bettering himself. The same can be said for Gilmour who missed the final match at the Euros due to COVID but has gone from strength to strength since then for us.

31 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

If he wasnt "tired" he might well have found himself called up this week given call offs.

That's exactly what I was thinking - i dont know the accurate situation only what is reported and the offshoots of peoples emotional responses 

However does feel quite short sited from Hickey from the outside but having said that may be something tangiable behind it  

Can understand it to an extent given the level he's playing at plus added Covid exposures to consider.

Thought it was interesting though that one of the reasons Conor Gallagher got a full call up was because he bothered his arse to play for England u21's last week.  With their depth though probably have to grab any chance that comes along.  

11 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Can understand it to an extent given the level he's playing at plus added Covid exposures to consider.

Thought it was interesting though that one of the reasons Conor Gallagher got a full call up was because he bothered his arse to play for England u21's last week.  With their depth though probably have to grab any chance that comes along.  

Both Patterson and Gilmour have tested positive for us whilst on duty for Scotland. It has not harmed their career in any way and they have gone from strength to strength since their positive tests.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Both Patterson and Gilmour have tested positive for us whilst on duty for Scotland. It has not harmed their career in any way and they have gone from strength to strength since their positive tests.

I get that mate from a Scotland perspective - He's playing for his club though and if he had to quarantine on catching it/ close contact he'd be quarantining here rather than over in Italy so that's probably weighing on his decision as he'd have to fight to get back in his club side. 

Personally nowt would keep me out of playing anything at any level for Scotland but can appreciate he has quite a big decision to make. 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It could be argued that neither Patterson or Gilmours careers have gone from strength to strength. 

Both have cemented their place in the Scotland team but cant get a sniff at club level.

Hickey on the other hand has cemented his place at club level to the extent that its reported that the top sides in the league are looking at him.

None of this is to do with Covid though.

Just an observation that Hickeys choices to date have served him well.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Yeah, let's maybe wait and see if he gets a senior call up before we grab the pitchforks. Patterson and Gilmour weren't picked for the u21s either. 😋

I joked in another thread about Roberto Mancini watching Hickey (okay, the tv cameras showed him at a Bologna game 😉 ). But joking aside, could he be eligible for the Italian team in 3 or 4 years time? (I remember Deco played for Portugal after being a Porto player for a number of years. But I forget how long it was).  There is a precedent 😮

I apologise now, should that joke come back to haunt me 😄