Hickey - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hickey

Squirrelhumper

When did the tiredness thing begin with players . I am sure it was around when European football moved to a Thursday in early to mid 90s

in the 1980s clubs played strong sides at all times , players wanted to play all games .

it became an English problem when the premier league started to get big and I am sure Rudd guilt was one of the early ones that played the tiredness card on behalf of his Chelsea team 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I doubt he would be too tired for the senior squad which is fair enough. He really should be in that squad. 

It's not fair enough, you don't choose when you represent Scotland. You give your all everyone, you do your time in the lower levels if called upon

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Hickey is a left-back so where exactly would he fit into the current squad? We have Robertson as No 1 in that position in the squad and Kieran Tierney would no doubt step into that slot if Robertson were injured or suspended.

Tierney can count as a centre back, that leaves two spots for left back in the squad. 

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tierney can count as a centre back, that leaves two spots for left back in the squad. 

It is a given if, say Robertson was booked against Moldova and suspended for the Denmark game then Tierney would be the very capable replacement. Those are our premium left-sided option at the moment hence why there is no other left-sided option in the squad now.

He's a 20-year-old professional athlete, is he fuck tired 😄 

Most probably it's his club putting pressure on him to withdraw, which I can understand up to a point - if I was a club chairman paying someone a small fortune  I wouldn't exactly be happy about him heading off to plague island for a week to play in a kids game.

On the other hand, if I was the Scotland senior team manager I wouldn't be impressed either - it doesn't exactly indicate that he's willing to run through brick walls to play for Scotland.

Hickey plays in the position where we're arguably strongest but an injury here or a suspension there and there's an opening for another left-back.  He's also capable on the other side too, which brings valuable versatility.  Tempting as it might be to tell him where to go if we did we'd be looking at SPFL standard pish to plug the gaps if Robertson or Tierney were unavailable.

16 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is a given if, say Robertson was booked against Moldova and suspended for the Denmark game then Tierney would be the very capable replacement. Those are our premium left-sided option at the moment hence why there is no other left-sided option in the squad now.

Well if that situation arouse then I would be happy to keep tierney at centre back and put hickey at lwb. 

Tierney can be counted as a centre back in the squad because thats mostly the position he plays for us. Therefore hickey could easily be brought in as cover for Robertson. 

It's handy having tierney being able to play both positions. 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well if that situation arouse then I would be happy to keep tierney at centre back and put hickey at lwb. 

Tierney can be counted as a centre back in the squad because thats mostly the position he plays for us. Therefore hickey could easily be brought in as cover for Robertson. 

It's handy having tierney being able to play both positions. 

Tierney plays as an interchanging left wing-back even with Robbo in the side. I take your point but who misses out with Hickey's inclusion then? Cooper or McKenna I'd say. 

Why isn't he already in the squad? Well the dubious call-offs for international duty are definitely harming his case.

34 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Tierney plays as an interchanging left wing-back even with Robbo in the side. I take your point but who misses out with Hickey's inclusion then? Cooper or McKenna I'd say. 

Why isn't he already in the squad? Well the dubious call-offs for international duty are definitely harming his case.

Just name a larger squad or either mclean or ferguson can make way if really necessary, how often do we have 19 year olds playing serie a every week and being linked with ac Milan. 

Edited by mccaughey85

Don't want to be too critical of a 19 year old lad, but I don't like this Billy big bollox attitude. If anyone had a hissy fit that they were 'only' in the u21 squad, we'd have no players! 

Don't know if anyone seen this interview the other day, but some of his quotes sound quite strange to me, especially the one about going to Scotland games and owning a shirt. It almost sounds like the time when David Cameron was pretending to like football

Aaron Hickey would love Scotland call-up with Celtic star Greg Taylor crocked and Kieran Tierney struggling with injury https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7936455/hickey-scotland-celtic-taylor-tierney?utm_source=native_share&utm_medium=sharebar_native&utm_campaign=sharebaramp

8 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Just name a larger squad or either mclean or ferguson can make way if really necessary, how often do we have 19 year olds playing serie a every week and being linked with ac Milan. 

If he’s too tired for the U21s then he’s too tired for the senior squad. 

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh tbh it's not a great attitude but if I was him I would be pissed off at not being in the main squad. 

You need to earn your place in the senior squad. Playing in Serie A doesn’t mean he should automatically be selected. Especially when we have at least 2 LBs who are currently better than him. 

He’d likely spit the dummy anyway if he sat on the bench and didn’t get on against Moldova or Denmark (which would probably happen). 

11 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh tbh it's not a great attitude but if I was him I would be pissed off at not being in the main squad. 

There's probably quite a few players throughout the years who were called up to the u21's, were disappointed in not being in the senior squad, but still turned up because it's an honour

18 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You need to earn your place in the senior squad. Playing in Serie A doesn’t mean he should automatically be selected. Especially when we have at least 2 LBs who are currently better than him. 

He’d likely spit the dummy anyway if he sat on the bench and didn’t get on against Moldova or Denmark (which would probably happen). 

I don't know who is advising him,but he needs a hefty kick in the baws.Play for us when selected or just get to F..k.Simple.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

If he’s too tired for the U21s then he’s too tired for the senior squad. 

Ones a bit of a waste of time and ones a career highlight though. 

The knickerwetting should subside let’s hope he kicks on in Serie A & if he does he will be knocking on the door for a senior start come March, let alone a call up. 

I can understand the anger from fans when we see somebody turn down something that we would all give an arm and a leg for however as a professional player he needs to look at the bigger picture.

He is a very young player playing week in week out in one of the top 4 leagues in the world. Just by looking at him he is still very undeveloped (looks like a older boy rather than a young man). Its not like he has the physique of a Wayne Rooney so it must take its toll on him physically competiting at that level. Also, id imagine he has been doing alot of strength and conditioning work thats the norm in the big leagues but largely ignored in Scotland. 

All of this will factor into his thinking.

As much as it doesnt sit nicely with me id much rather he missed the U21 squad and kept his place for Bologna rather than play and potentially get rested in a few weeks which could result in losing his place.

The most important thing is that he progresses and reaches his potential for the full squad. Some players do that via the U21s, others dont.

18 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I can understand the anger from fans when we see somebody turn down something that we would all give an arm and a leg for however as a professional player he needs to look at the bigger picture.

He is a very young player playing week in week out in one of the top 4 leagues in the world. Just by looking at him he is still very undeveloped (looks like a older boy rather than a young man). Its not like he has the physique of a Wayne Rooney so it must take its toll on him physically competiting at that level. Also, id imagine he has been doing alot of strength and conditioning work thats the norm in the big leagues but largely ignored in Scotland. 

As much as it doesnt sit nicely with me id much rather he missed the U21 squad and kept his place for Bologna rather than play and potentially get rested in a few weeks which could result in losing his place.

The most important thing is that he progresses and reaches his potential for the full squad. Some players do that via the U21s, others dont.

All of this plus the fact he missed a good chunk of last season (and this pre season) with injury and recovering from surgery so that'll be on his mind

30 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Agree with this.

He seems committed to us from what he says in the interviews, so i don't think we need to worry about losing him to another country (if he's even eligible).

And IMO it's more important that he consolidates his position in the Bologna 1st team. And can we blame him when scouts are looking at him for a big transfer to AC Milan or Aston Villa?

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

The knickerwetting should subside let’s hope he kicks on in Serie A & if he does he will be knocking on the door for a senior start come March, let alone a call up. 

There’s no knickerwetting (whatever that means anyway) going on. Not from me anyway. If he is genuinely too tired to play for the U21s then he shouldn’t be in the senior squad either. The boy should also work on his fitness and stamina. 

If the U21s is such a waste of time why does it exist? And why do lots of other players turn up regularly?

I agree with the last part of your post but I’m afraid Hickey will likely be a Ryan Fraser type and will drop out of many squads in the future at the drop of a hat. 

10 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Waste of time? Tell that to the players who get called up for the youth squads. 

Should we only have a full international side?

You've written some  utter shite on here over the years but that's right up there.

ProudScot my arse.