Hickey - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hickey

Squirrelhumper

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that we have a couple of mint left backs just now but Tierney isn't the most robust and Robertson has played a lot of football.  It's pretty obvious he doesn't view the u21's as good use of his time and can't really blame him if he's playing week in week out in Serie A. 

For the rights and wrongs of that attitude it's bloody stupid not to have a look at him in the main squad purely on the sole basis to put a cap on him anyway so he's locked in to us.     

22 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I get that we have a couple of mint left backs just now but Tierney isn't the most robust and Robertson has played a lot of football.  It's pretty obvious he doesn't view the u21's as good use of his time and can't really blame him if he's playing week in week out in Serie A. 

For the rights and wrongs of that attitude it's bloody stupid not to have a look at him in the main squad purely on the sole basis to put a cap on him anyway so he's locked in to us.     

Is he eligible for any other countries? 

Not sure about eligibility, don't think he is but that's not the reason for his withdrawal. Maybe his club are pressuring him or he just thinks he is above playing for the under 21's, either way he deserved to be in the full squad especially as Tierney's match fitness is questionable. 

Clarke likes to have 3 left back options apparently for training purposes when Greg Taylor is fit, when he isn't it's not necessary it seems. 

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Is he eligible for any other countries? 

Absolutely no idea but why take the risk? 

If the SFA knew Souttar could play for Australia it would seem even more absurd not to have kept him in at least the u21's on the chance he might turn out to be decent.    

2 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Absolutely no idea but why take the risk? 

If the SFA knew Souttar could play for Australia it would seem even more absurd not to have kept him in at least the u21's on the chance he might turn out to be decent.    

Exactly, never seen the lad play but I'm still fuming. John is a technically gifted player with a big of pace so surely there was a chance his younger brother who is considerably taller would also  have had some attributes to go with his height. Pretty good combination in a centre half but the sfa snoozing again, useless c___s 😠

38 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Exactly, never seen the lad play but I'm still fuming. John is a technically gifted player with a big of pace so surely there was a chance his younger brother who is considerably taller would also  have had some attributes to go with his height. Pretty good combination in a centre half but the sfa snoozing again, useless c___s 😠

Fleetwood couldn't believe their luck when we loaned him out a second season but to give the SFA some slack he looked a bit ropey in a back four and I was convinced Collins (ROI; year younger; went Burnley for £15m) was the much better prospect.  Moving to a back 3 though he's been an absolute monster and Everton have rumoured to make a £20m bid in January. 

22 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Close to zero, let's be honest who cares about u21 football. 

True. Being good at that level means fuck all. 

His manager will be pressuring him not to play and it’ll be more worth it when a full Call up comes so hopefully one will soon, it should have for this squad in reality.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

His manager will be pressuring him not to play and it’ll be more worth it when a full Call up comes so hopefully one will soon, it should have for this squad in reality.

Chuck Covid in and it's completely understandable really.  If we'd offered a full call up and it was pussy footing about it would be more concerning.  

40 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I am not overly fussed in this particular case, maybe because hes playing abroad but if this helps him develope into a top player then i am all for it,, the commitment bit is worry however,, he may well be getting pressure from the manager to stay in Italy 

I think this is probably it. He'll be getting pressure from somewhere. I don't know about you lot, but I was not as self-assured when I was 19 as I am now. If someone I respected gave me advice, I'd be more likely to take it back then.

And, as others have said, playing in Serie A is far better for his development than the u21s. I seem to recall Maloney had a near-career ending injury because he played for both Scotland and then the U21s straight after.

Edited by Tartan blood

1 hour ago, jailender said:

He is still representing Scotland at U21, so does that mean zero too?

Exactly.Representing Scotland at any level should be an honour,not a f..king chore.If he is starting that shit at his age,makes you wonder how willing he will be further down the line.It shouldn't be a case of picking and choosing when it suits him.

3 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Lets pause for a moment, anyone have a quote from the guy saying he was tired?  I haven't seen anything yet, maybe it exists but people are awfully riled up over this, it would be terrible if there wasn't any truth in it. 

Not as terrible as it would be if it was true.

15 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Lets pause for a moment, anyone have a quote from the guy saying he was tired?  I haven't seen anything yet, maybe it exists but people are awfully riled up over this, it would be terrible if there wasn't any truth in it. 

Been confirmed by Scot Gemmill.

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

You don't know whether his manager is pressuring him. 

What we do know is he is too tired and wants to prepare for his next serie A match instead of playing for Scotland U21s