Squad announced - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad announced

wee-toon-red

3 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

His mum was born in Scotland according to Wiki.   

Someone has only updated that this morning as it didn’t say that an hour ago. No source either.  I notice someone has removed English from his bio as well but hasn’t added Scottish. 😂

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Someone has only updated that this morning as it didn’t say that an hour ago. No source either.  I notice someone has removed English from his bio as well but hasn’t added Scottish. 😂

It mentions it in the BBC article but not sure if Wiki are quoting them or the other way about 🤣

31 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I've watched him for a couple of seasons for Stoke and never had the foggiest he could play for us 🤣

He'll run all day like a dog chasing a laser pen but he isn't really a striker - we've 'converted' him from a winger.

He is fast but gets caught offside a lot - on the odd occasion he does break through he typically has all the lethal threat of a Nerf gun.  He's been more clinical this season but has tailed off recently with the rest of the team but last season scored 5 in 40 games.  His hold up play isn't great, limited technically and his link up is patchy.

On the other side of the coin I think Stoke look better when he does play and looks best when played up top with Fletcher so possibly down the road could be a back-up option for partnering Dykes.  He's also handy in a front three as never stops running.  

Doubt it would play to his strengths though Moldova away with them sitting deep and him having his back to goal.

Pity Souttar picked Australia because up until Everton allegedly had put a bid in for him he'd been an absolute monster in our back three.   

Sounds like we’d have been better picking Fletcher who scored 2 at the weekend 

Edited by GHfaeGTA

1 minute ago, ThistleWhistle said:

It mentions it in the BBC article but not sure if Wiki are quoting them or the other way about 🤣

It does say he qualifies through his mother which is a bit vague. I’m sure we’ll find out exactly how he qualifies in due course but it really doesn’t matter as long as he’s in it for the right reasons and gives his all if he plays. 

13 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It does say he qualifies through his mother which is a bit vague. I’m sure we’ll find out exactly how he qualifies in due course but it really doesn’t matter as long as he’s in it for the right reasons and gives his all if he plays. 

Don't even know if it was true but  remember reading yonks ago about Phil Bardsley and was defo my favourite - pretty sure his entire family are english but he qualified because his dad was born in Glasgow whilst his granny was up on her holidays. 

Can't find any reference though so might have been bollocks that just got passed about.   

2 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Don't even know if it was true but  remember reading yonks ago about Phil Bardsley and was defo my favourite - pretty sure his entire family are english but he qualified because his dad was born in Glasgow whilst his granny was up on her holidays. 

Can't find any reference though so might have been bollocks that just got passed about.   

Nah that was true.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

23 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Sounds like we’d have been better picking Fletcher who scored 2 at the weekend 

I feel a bit sorry for Fletcher in a way because he's far better suited to playing up top with a partner - when he played up top for us he always seemed isolated and to be having to link up miles away from goal.  

Technically, hold up play and game awareness is still miles ahead of Brown but wouldn't go cap in hand now for the sake of a couple of games.   

The highlights give a good snap shot of what Brown brings with his touch for the second fairly normal and the third worried he'll sort his feet out in time.  

Don't bother with the second minute of footage - nothing to see there! 

8 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I feel a bit sorry for Fletcher in a way because he's far better suited to playing up top with a partner - when he played up top for us he always seemed isolated and to be having to link up miles away from goal.  

Technically, hold up play and game awareness is still miles ahead of Brown but wouldn't go cap in hand now for the sake of a couple of games.   

The highlights give a good snap shot of what Brown brings with his touch for the second fairly normal and the third worried he'll sort his feet out in time.  

Don't bother with the second minute of footage - nothing to see there! 

That was an absolute beauty of a finish from Fletcher for his second, but what is with the man bun at 34.

Just now, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

That was an absolute beauty of a finish from Fletcher for his second, but what is with the man bun at 34.

He's going bald and all 🤣

Honestly mate he had a goal chalked off vs Sheff United for being offside where he wanded it into the top corner from about 30 yards first time chipping the keeper with barely any back lift.  Made a dick of myself celebrating around the living room before realising.  

If he's good enough and wants to play for Scotland then fair enough, teach him the Flower of Scotland lyrics and let him loose. I'm not sure a must-win away game in Moldova is the ideal place to blood a striker, especially given what Whistle says above.

I also hope this isn't the start of the senior squad going the same way as the current U21 squad and digging out all sorts of dubious connections (in the U21s' case, ignoring some good young Scottish Championship first-team players).

8 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

If he's good enough and wants to play for Scotland then fair enough, teach him the Flower of Scotland lyrics and let him loose. I'm not sure a must-win away game in Moldova is the ideal place to blood a striker, especially given what Whistle says above.

I also hope this isn't the start of the senior squad going the same way as the current U21 squad and digging out all sorts of dubious connections (in the U21s' case, ignoring some good young Scottish Championship first-team players).

He won't be blooded against Moldova. Even if Watt, Shankland, Russell, Gauld, Griffiths, Brophy or Stewart had been called up they wouldn't have played V Moldova. Set in stone to be Adams with Fraser or Nisbet.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

The Fletcher that doesn’t want to play for us anymore?

yeah strange one that is, hasn't publicly come out i don't think but if you ever saw the open goal interview with him on YT was obvious didn't fancy it going forward which is a shame would have been decent in the squad 

We lost a few in a really short time McGregor, McArthur, Brown, Ritchie, Fletch etc some of them served us well and with age and perhaps injuries and personal life i get it 

Edited by borojock
grammer

1 hour ago, borojock said:

yeah strange one that is, hasn't publicly come out i don't think but if you ever saw the open goal interview with him on YT was obvious didn't fancy it going forward which is a shame would have been decent in the squad 

We lost a few in a really short time McGregor, McArthur, Brown, Ritchie, Fletch etc some of them served us well and with age and perhaps injuries and personal life i get it 

I think he told Clarke he no longer wanted to be considered. He must have or Clarke would likely have picked him at some point over the last couple of years, especially before Dykes established himself as first choice striker.

He’s 34 now anyway so his time with Scotland is done now regardless of what has been said in the past. 

2 hours ago, borojock said:

McArthur, Fletcher and Ritchie didn't make much sense based on their ages. Same goes for Bardsley. 

Both McGregor and Brown were servants of the national team for a long period of time. Brown especially, who, I think, is in the top 20 caps of all time for us.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

McArthur, Fletcher and Ritchie didn't make much sense based on their ages. Same goes for Bardsley. 

Both McGregor and Brown were servants of the national team for a long period of time. Brown especially, who, I think, is in the top 20 caps of all time for us.

Tbf to McArthur he was in squads for a very long time aswell, he was just pretty poor for us despite his longevity in a top league and didn't play as much for us. He was mostly a bench warmer for us but turned up for squads.

I'm sure McArthur had quite a few injuries over the years and had a recurring injury issue when he retired from international football at around 31. Basically retired to prolong his club career which is his livelihood. I'm sure Brown was only around a year older when he retired for the second time to prolong his club career.