Squad announced - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad announced

wee-toon-red

25 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Again that comes down to money like anything in football today. Celtic and Rangers take the lion:'s share of TV deal money, plus higher attendances and can get the best players available to them. Expecting the rest to compete is foolhardy.

Tbf the only reason anyone watches Scottish football on the tv is to watch those teams.

I doubt many people anywhere tune in for Motherwell vs St Johnstone. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, slasher said:

Pipe doon Malcolm. 

When you learn to spell the name of the player you are pontificating about and learn the actual name of our top league we'll maybe chat about intellect 🙄

“Pipe doon”…….   😂.   I will “pontificate” as you put it…  as I see fit, and ignore the discourteous replies such as yours.

2 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Tbf the only reason anyone watches Scottish football on the tv is to watch those teams.

And that will never change because Scottish football and sky won't promote the other games in the same way they promote the OF.

12 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

That’s the level we need our players playing at if we want to be qualifying for championships on a regular basis.

I'm with you 100% there mate, but is John Souttar good enough to play at that level?  He has improved since the last time he played for Scotland but I still don't see what all the fuss is about.  🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I'm with you 100% there mate, but is John Souttar good enough to play at that level?  He has improved since the last time he played for Scotland but I still don't see what all the fuss is about.  🤷‍♂️

He is a decent ball playing centre back, but I’m not sure he is good enough either.  Levein highly rates him.  I’d like to see him play at a higher level to see if he is good enough.  He has a mistake or two in him.

Just now, Malcolm said:

He is a decent ball playing centre back, but I’m not sure he is good enough either.  Levein highly rates him.  I’d like to see him play at a higher level to see if he is good enough.  He has a mistake or two in him.

That's the issue I have with him.  

I sometimes wonder if he'd be better off as a defensive midfielder rather than a centre-half.

We've had SPFL defenders playing with us who helped us qualify for the euros.

We all want our players playing at a higher level but we shouldn't be dismissive of players in our own league.

Edited by vanderark14

49 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Chicken and egg. The reason why isbecause they have a monopoly on the best players due to the biggest bank balances in Scotland by a very large margin.

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Chicken and egg. The reason why isbecause they have a monopoly on the best players due to the biggest bank balances in Scotland by a very large margin.

Even if the TV money was split evenly it wouldn't make much difference. You're talk about clubs outside the top 4 making 1-600k extra a season. It would help the bottom 4 improve a bit but wouldn't make a difference to the top 6.

Rangers and Celtic's fanbase, kit maker deals, sponsorships and European GS football make the much bigger difference. Especially the European football and the bonuses that brings. Rangers made about £17 million (gate receipts included) in the pre COVID run to the last 16 in the Europa League.

I know people will argue about sky, etc not promoting any other club but even pre TV deals Rangers and Celtic's fanbase was far larger than the rest. There's a reason there has only been 18 winners outside the OF since the league began.

The only way the SPL can be properly competitive is for the OF to leave it or a billionaire buys someone and invests millions a season.

9 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Same as all leagues isn’t it 

Yes and those leagues are much the same. The EPL is largely competed for by same clubs every season such as Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd. In Serie A you do not get clubs such as Empoli, Atalanta, Bologna or Sampdoria in the title mix. Same with Spain itsyour usual culprits in the title race mix there.

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes and those leagues are much the same. The EPL is largely competed for by same clubs every season such as Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd. In Serie A you do not get clubs such as Empoli, Atalanta, Bologna or Sampdoria in the title mix. Same with Spain itsyour usual culprits in the title race mix there.

My point was that our other European entrants couldn't even qualify for the the group stages of the third tier of competitions. 

10 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Even if the TV money was split evenly it wouldn't make much difference. You're talk about clubs outside the top 4 making 1-600k extra a season. It would help the bottom 4 improve a bit but wouldn't make a difference to the top 6.

Rangers and Celtic's fanbase, kit maker deals, sponsorships and European GS football make the much bigger difference. Especially the European football and the bonuses that brings. Rangers made about £17 million (gate receipts included) in the pre COVID run to the last 16 in the Europa League.

I know people will argue about sky, etc not promoting any other club but even pre TV deals Rangers and Celtic's fanbase was far larger than the rest. There's a reason there has only been 18 winners outside the OF since the league began.

The only way the SPL can be properly competitive is for the OF to leave it or a billionaire buys someone and invests millions a season.

Or if all money generated was shared equally including gate money.

It's too late to build a competitive Scottish league just like it's too late to build a more competitive CL. The biggest clubs are simply too powerful now.

12 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Grant Hanley has pulled out with a groin strain, Souttar called up as his replacement. Ryan Fraser pulled out, no reason mentioned in the press - so far no replacement called up yet. 

It's a big blow that Grant Hanley and Ryan Fraser are out. (I just wonder if the manager turmoil at Newcastle is somehow behind Ryan Fraser's absence? E.g. pressure to impress the new manager?)

On 11/2/2021 at 1:00 PM, borojock said:

Callum is that you posting ????

No, it’s just good to have a plan ‘B’. I’ve not seen Brown play before but from what I can gather he plays up front with Steven Fletcher. I’d imagine that Fletcher plays a similar role to Che Adams, drops deep to link up play etc, whilst Brown would be the further forward of the pair. Similar to how I’d see an Adams/ Brown or an Adams/ Nisbet partnership working. 
What happens (and fingers crossed it doesn’t) it’s still 0-0 against Moldova with 25-30 minutes to go? You’ve got two strikers of a similar style. I’d imagine we will have lots of possession, probably lots of opportunities to put crosses into the box, I’d have liked a taller, more physical striker as an option to bring off the bench. I’d have personally picked Ross Stewart, but Patterson has experience at international level and has been in Clarke’s squads before, that’s the only reason I mentioned him. 
Anyway, hopefully we can score a few in Moldova and get the result we need. 
Also good to see Souttar back in the squad, he’s had some hard times with injuries so it’s good to see him back in the squad.