Squad announced - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad announced

wee-toon-red

7 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

The boy Jacob doesn’t scream top level 

He plays at the same level as others in our squad. I'll give him a chance before calling him a diddie

Who are the others? You said more English diddies?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Soutter needs a move to bigger club… top half premiership ideally.  The spl is no indication of talent.

I've read through a few of the threads today. As always, you agree with some, others not so much. 

This one really stood out for me though. 

What a cockwomble! 🙈

Who needs anyone else to put our game down when we've got plenty of our own to do it for them. 

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Soutter needs a move to bigger club… top half premiership ideally.  The spl is no indication of talent.

The fact that you don’t even know what the Scottish Premiership is called pretty much destroys any value your opinion should hold on how challenging the level is.

The real reason Souttar isn’t in the squad will be because Clarke is incredibly loyal and won’t want to drop any of the CB’s he has in his squad.

Apart from jacob brown pretty much the squad I expected which is a good thing. Surprised hickeys not in, playing serie a every week at 19 but can't get in our squad is strange. 

Not sure about this jacob brown guy though, surely Tony watt or Ross Stewart might have been a better option. Jacob brown has never scored much goals going by his statistics. I am guessing karlan grant doesn't want to be picked or surely clarke would of chosen him before this guy. 

Either way we have most of our top players available so it's all good. 

14 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

More sub standard English diddies then .

Better get used to it as that seems to be the way things are going. Brown had been on the radar for a couple of years, which no-one had picked up on and favoured over quite a number of other players others have mentioned

18 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Fletcher doesn't want to play for us. Asked not to be picked when Clarke was first boss. Although you can bet your bottom.dollar he was kicking himself in the summer.

Seem to remember Fletcher getting a bad injury in a Scotland match that kept him out for much of that season 2017-18?? Since then he has been a bit injury prone and only had a handful of games prior to Clarke appointment which maybe influenced his decision. He obviously took this period to get a hair-weave and maybe overdid it resulting in his manbun and Taliban beard🥴

15 hours ago, slasher said:

I've read through a few of the threads today. As always, you agree with some, others not so much. 

This one really stood out for me though. 

What a cockwomble! 🙈

Who needs anyone else to put our game down when we've got plenty of our own to do it for them. 

try and keep your language civil, or are you intellectually limited to insults?  You have your view, and I have mine, which is that our game in Scotland is very poor quality.  Our top club sides struggle in European competition and below that our teams are championship at best.  It’s no surprise our best players are in the EPL. Our league is a minnows league.

21 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

try and keep your language civil, or are you intellectually limited to insults?  You have your view, and I have mine, which is that our game in Scotland is very poor quality.  Our top club sides struggle in European competition and below that our teams are championship at best.  It’s no surprise our best players are in the EPL. Our league is a minnows league.

It’s hardly a minnows league. Go and have a look at the leagues in Gibraltar and the Faroes if you want to see a minnows league. 

Plenty of our players play in the Scottish Premiership and the standard is not any worse than any other league in Europe in countries of a similar population. In fact it’s a lot better than some. Have you seen the standard of football in Ireland for example? 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

It’s hardly a minnows league. Go and have a look at the leagues in Gibraltar and the Faroes if you want to see a minnows league. 

Plenty of our players play in the Scottish Premiership and the standard is not any worse than any other league in Europe in countries of a similar population. In fact it’s a lot better than some. Have you seen the standard of football in Ireland for example? 

Plus you could argue that the UEFA Co-efficiencies which correlates all country's clubs results in Europe. Last month Scotland stood in the top ten so far from the weakest league in Europe.

20 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

yes, but historically we have always done better than our population would indicate. When I were a lad our top teams would go toe to to toe with the best sides in England and even Europe.  Totally different now.  When will see an Aberdeen winning a European trophy again?

43 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

yes, but historically we have always done better than our population would indicate. When I were a lad our top teams would go toe to to toe with the best sides in England and even Europe.  Totally different now.  When will see an Aberdeen winning a European trophy again?

Aberdeen winning the championship trophy is more likely 

On 11/2/2021 at 3:23 PM, KirkieRobRoy said:

If he's good enough and wants to play for Scotland then fair enough, teach him the Flower of Scotland lyrics and let him loose. I'm not sure a must-win away game in Moldova is the ideal place to blood a striker, especially given what Whistle says above.

I also hope this isn't the start of the senior squad going the same way as the current U21 squad and digging out all sorts of dubious connections (in the U21s' case, ignoring some good young Scottish Championship first-team players).

He's better not get Kieron  Tierney to do it!

15 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

you won't see any scottish team win a european trophy in out life times

I wouldn’t be surprised if Rangers or Celtic won the Europa Johnstones Paint trophy in the next few years but yeah Europa league is very unlikely and there’s more chance of me winning the Euromillions three weeks in a row than either of them winning the Champions League. 

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Pipe doon Malcolm. 

When you learn to spell the name of the player you are pontificating about and learn the actual name of our top league we'll maybe chat about intellect 🙄

Those days are long gone. Why? Money, cash, spondoolies, wonga, readies.

The Strongest leagues in Europe mop up European trophies now due to the massive explosion in money being a factor in football. Unlike in Scotland the leagues in England, Germany, Italy, Spain, France and one or two others like Portugal have vast TV deals that bank rolls those league clubs with the ability to buy the best players out there and the formation of the Champions League enhanced it for the big countries with them getting vast sums of money from that tournament. Scotland's clubs are just not in the running. I liken it to expecting somebody to win the Isle of Man TT race on a bicycle - it is just not happening. It is a non-contest.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

insert:

- we played in the street till midnight. ruined now by all the gameboys

- laughing stock 

- Mickey Mouse

and you will win cliche bingo. 

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Plus you could argue that the UEFA Co-efficiencies which correlates all country's clubs results in Europe. Last month Scotland stood in the top ten so far from the weakest league in Europe.

Celtic and Rangers are the only reason we are ranked that high, just check how our other teams did in European competition this year or the last 10 years for that matter.

18 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Celtic and Rangers are the only reason we are ranked that high, just check how our other teams did in European competition this year or the last 10 years for that matter.

You could say something very similar about the Portuguese, Dutch or Turkish leagues and probably a few more.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Again that comes down to money like anything in football today. Celtic and Rangers take the lion:'s share of TV deal money, plus higher attendances and can get the best players available to them. Expecting the rest to compete is foolhardy.

On 11/2/2021 at 12:45 PM, Malcolm said:

That would be great, but is he good enough to get a game there?  Come to think of it, is he good enough to get a game for a bottom half Premiership team?  Because if he is, it begs the question why two centre-halves from bottom half Premiership teams (Cooper and Hanley) and a Championship centre-half (McKenna) have been picked ahead of him.

On 11/2/2021 at 3:33 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

He won't be blooded against Moldova. Even if Watt, Shankland, Russell, Gauld, Griffiths, Brophy or Stewart had been called up they wouldn't have played V Moldova. Set in stone to be Adams with Fraser or Nisbet.

You're possibly right and hopefully they'll do the business.  If we're in a Faroes-style situation, needing a goal with 10-15 minutes left to play, who comes on though?  I think he might have missed a trick not including someone like Stewart or Watt.

21 minutes ago, scotlad said:

That would be great, but is he good enough to get a game there?  Come to think of it, is he good enough to get a game for a bottom half Premiership team?  Because if he is, it begs the question why two centre-halves from bottom half Premiership teams (Cooper and Hanley) and a Championship centre-half (McKenna) have been picked ahead of him.

You're possibly right and hopefully they'll do the business.  If we're in a Faroes-style situation, needing a goal with 10-15 minutes left to play, who comes on though?  I think he might have missed a trick not including someone like Stewart or Watt.

That’s the level we need our players playing at if we want to be qualifying for championships on a regular basis.