Squad announced - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad announced

wee-toon-red

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would have really liked to have seen Hickey in the squad buth other than that very happy with that dont think you could have done much more 

John Souter back up for Hendry would have been nice - however was looking a bit chunky for me at the weekend 

Other than that Ralston, Kelly could have argued but dont think would have been much difference between them and Clarke and O'Donnell 

Cant wait for the Moldovan game excited already  

4 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Sometimes I think Clarke just picks whoever he thinks will wind folk up.

Gauld, Hickey, Souttar, Gauld nowhere to be seen. You could argue Watt, Ralston could be in there too.

And the inclusion of a Barnsley/Stoke player who no one has heard of!

Soutter needs a move to bigger club… top half premiership ideally.  The spl is no indication of talent.

Would liked to have seen the inclusion of either Ross Stewart or Callum Paterson, just to offer us something different, a physical presence up front, if needed, in the Moldova game. 

Edited by Scot1

24 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Sometimes I think Clarke just picks whoever he thinks will wind folk up.

Gauld, Hickey, Souttar, Gauld nowhere to be seen. You could argue Watt, Ralston could be in there too.

And the inclusion of a Barnsley/Stoke player who no one has heard of!

Clarke and his team are probably better qualified than anyone on here when it comes to selecting players. We can all have our opinions on who we want in but that doesn’t mean Clarke is wrong.

I would imagine Clarke is currently avoiding picking overseas players at the moment to try and minimise Covid disruption unless it’s a position where we are particularly short, such as centre half.

I think Clarke is also trying to be as consistent as possible in his squad selections so it’s hardly a surprise that there are very few changes from last month. 

32 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

How can Tierney be called up? Hus club manager said only two days ago they did not know when he would be back. Sure, maybe there were development yesterday. Jacob,Ill need to go look him up.

Happy for Zander

I would guess it’s a case of naming him in case he makes it. He can easily withdraw if he doesn’t. Clarke would look pretty daft if he didn’t name him and he played for Arsenal at the weekend. In fact there would probably be a meltdown on here. 

Going on what Arteta has said I would imagine he’ll pull out after the weekend but it was a similar situation last month (or might have been September) and Tierney played the weekend before the international break and joined up with the squad. 

34 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Soutter needs a move to bigger club… top half premiership ideally.  The spl is no indication of talent.

I’m not sure he’s that good. If the Scottish Premiership is no indication of talent why would a top half EPL club take a punt on him? 

If he does move to England I would suspect he’ll end up in the championship. 

I've watched him for a couple of seasons for Stoke and never had the foggiest he could play for us 🤣

He'll run all day like a dog chasing a laser pen but he isn't really a striker - we've 'converted' him from a winger.

He is fast but gets caught offside a lot - on the odd occasion he does break through he typically has all the lethal threat of a Nerf gun.  He's been more clinical this season but has tailed off recently with the rest of the team but last season scored 5 in 40 games.  His hold up play isn't great, limited technically and his link up is patchy.

On the other side of the coin I think Stoke look better when he does play and looks best when played up top with Fletcher so possibly down the road could be a back-up option for partnering Dykes.  He's also handy in a front three as never stops running.  

Doubt it would play to his strengths though Moldova away with them sitting deep and him having his back to goal.

Pity Souttar picked Australia because up until Everton allegedly had put a bid in for him he'd been an absolute monster in our back three.