Walter Smith - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Walter Smith

aaid

Very sad news, 73 is no age at all.

I seem to remember he'd been ill but I got the impression he was on the mend.  It sounds silly but he seemed like one of those people who would go on forever.

An excellent manager for Rangers and he turned Scotland around at a time we looked in the doldrums.  Thank you, and RIP Walter Smith.

RIP, a great boss for Scotland too.

My local in Glasgow is the State Bar which he used to own. Didnt matter if the regulars supported Rangers, Celtic, Thistle, Killie or whoever, they loved him to a man.

Always loved the fact him and TB were such good friends. It's what football is all about. 

Him being appointed Scotland boss was seemed to galvanise the support. The support in Milan shortly after was phenomenal. 

The trip to Oslo later that year and the win is stlll one of my fave away trips ever.  Hard to believe it was 16 years ago.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

9 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

My local in Glasgow is the State Bar which he used to own. Didnt matter if the regulars supported Rangers, Celtic, Thistle, Killie or whoever, they loved him to a man.

Always loved the fact him and TB were such good friends. It's what football is all about. 

Him being appointed Scotland boss was seemed to galvanise the support. The support in Milan shortly after was phenomenal. 

The trip to Oslo later that year and the win is stlll one of my fave away trips ever.  Hard to believe it was 16 years ago.

Very well said. It’s very sad news & it says a lot how respected he was by the fiercest rivals of his own club. Legend and a huge miss. 

6 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Oft, what a trip. Flew in the day of the game. Bus from Torp took about 4 hrs due to the ad hoc toilet stops. Had enough time to drop bags off at hotel before a kind local drove us to the stadium in order to make the game. Took our seats just before Miller scores opening goal, rest of the trip was a blur due to alcohol consumption! Great days.