Walter Smith - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Very sad indeed, 73 is no age at all these days. 

Very few manage to transcend the Celtic /Rangers divide but Walter managed it with a degree of humility that few others could match. I always found, in particular, his post match assessments to be balanced and fair. 

It was a shame his tenure at Scotland was cut short when Rangers came calling as I remember it being a period of great hope for the national team. 

R. I. P 😔

36 minutes ago, slasher said:

Very few manage to transcend the Celtic /Rangers divide but Walter managed it with a degree of humility that few others could match. I always found, in particular, his post match assessments to be balanced and fair. 

It was a shame his tenure at Scotland was cut short when Rangers came calling as I remember it being a period of great hope for the national team. 

R. I. P 😔

Can’t add to that. RIP Walter. 

Just speaking for myself here, but I cant believe the number of views to this post, and the very few replies. This man was a great manager, a great ambassador for Scottish football, and above all, a simple man who did his job, and did it well..  I support Celtic, but this is a huge loss for all of us.. God Bless you Walter...

45 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Just speaking for myself here, but I cant believe the number of views to this post, and the very few replies. This man was a great manager, a great ambassador for Scottish football, and above all, a simple man who did his job, and did it well..  I support Celtic, but this is a huge loss for all of us.. God Bless you Walter...

There’s another post in TA specific with a few replies etc. 

I was truly shocked when I heard this on the radio this morning. He really revived the national team after Berti and I would have loved to have seen him stay in charge Scotland for a few more years. 

RIP Wattie.

6 hours ago, slasher said:

R. I. P 😔

Says it all mate.

The euphoria I had of him returning after PLG but the upset due to the Scotland situation. Mcleish most likely did what was going to happen in that group anyway and Paris was a Smith result for the years to come. 

A true figure to the Scottish game and one we'll unlikely see for a long while.