Harvey Barnes - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Harvey Barnes

Third Lanark

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/20/2021 at 4:53 PM, thesaint said:

Horrible.Exactly what is the point of having your national team filled with players who have no connection with your country.The outcome of doing that makes international and club football identical.It's totally ridiculous.

This is not filling our team with so called 'non-Scottish' players. It is looking at 1 or 2 options under current FIFA/SFA/FA guidelines that enables us to strengthen our squad where there is a weakness i.e. forwards/attackers that score regularly. Clarke is obviously willing to use this option.

Under these guidelines, the players mentioned at present do have a connection with Scotland - maybe not as ginger haired freckled players called Hamish McGlumpher from Auchertarder that came through the youth ranks at Cowdenbeath, but connections through parentage/grandparents as a reflection of the greater mobility in movement of people over the last 20-30 years. That's not ridiculous, it is a fact.

51 minutes ago, slasher said:

It's dead simple, if he's eligible and feels connected batter in. If we need to coax or woo him, away and gies peace. International football is becoming enough of a joke as it is.Ā 

We're 4 competitive games away from a potential world cup. It would be good to be as strong as possible for these games up front. Hopefully with existing forwards maintaining form or improving form but an extra in-form striker could certainly help our cause.

3 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

We're 4 competitive games away from a potential world cup. It would be good to be as strong as possible for these games up front. Hopefully with existing forwards maintaining form or improving form but an extra in-form striker could certainly help our cause.

Aye, I agree with that. But if he's not into it, fuck it!

I draw the line at feeding him a few malt whiskies and our finest seafood whilst telling him how proud his great granny from wherever would be to see him pulling on the famous dark blue.Ā 

Scotland in the world cup would inspire a generation, a generation that would end up dreaming of playing for Scotland in a world cup. If it means having a few English born players in the squad to do it so be it.Ā 

I just want Scotland to succeed and if an eligible player decides he's Scottish and pulls on the dark blue shirt, and gives 100%, I'll give them my backing! šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æ

13 minutes ago, thelonehutch said:

Scotland in the world cup would inspire a generation, a generation that would end up dreaming of playing for Scotland in a world cup. If it means having a few English born players in the squad to do it so be it.Ā 

I just want Scotland to succeed and if an eligible player decides he's Scottish and pulls on the dark blue shirt, and gives 100%, I'll give them my backing! šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æ

The issue is Harvey Barnes and Karlan Grant have been asked,and said no,that they considered themselves english.That should be enough to end any interest in them pulling on the dark blue jersey.They consider themselves english,until they can't make the breakthrough with them,and as if by magic they are suddenly Scottish.No thanks.

7 minutes ago, thesaint said:

The issue is Harvey Barnes and Karlan Grant have been asked,and said no,that they considered themselves english.That should be enough to end any interest in them pulling on the dark blue jersey.They consider themselves english,until they can't make the breakthrough with them,and as if by magic they are suddenly Scottish.No thanks.

I was unaware they had been asked..

Adams had been asked and said not just now, the first timeĀ 

Ā 

What have the others actually said?Ā 

And when were they asked?Ā 

I'm sure Clarke hasn't asked. .

1 hour ago, Archiesdad said:

Ā 

He's just made that shit upĀ 

2 hours ago, thelonehutch said:

Great point, my sentiments exactly šŸ‘

1 hour ago, Archiesdad said:

Ā 

Grant has been asked and declined. Harvey Barnes is 'English through and through' says his dad talking of his son's call-up to the England senior squad:-

"Harvey Barnes: The England star who turned down Scotland and loved watching Cristiano Ronaldo dominate at Manchester United" https://talksport-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/talksport.com/football/770909/harvey-barnes-dad-england-scotland-cristiano-ronaldo-stats/amp/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16349226502076&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Ftalksport.com%2Ffootball%2F770909%2Fharvey-barnes-dad-england-scotland-cristiano-ronaldo-stats%2F

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Grant has been asked and declined. Harvey Barnes is 'English through and through' says his dad talking of his son's call-up to the England senior squad:-

"Harvey Barnes: The England star who turned down Scotland and loved watching Cristiano Ronaldo dominate at Manchester United" https://talksport-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/talksport.com/football/770909/harvey-barnes-dad-england-scotland-cristiano-ronaldo-stats/amp/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16349226502076&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Ftalksport.com%2Ffootball%2F770909%2Fharvey-barnes-dad-england-scotland-cristiano-ronaldo-stats%2F

Aye, I thought Barnes was a no hoper.

ut was unaware that grant had been asked.Ā 

was this under Clarke oti earlier, do you know.

He has a Scottish mammy ...

Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Thanks mate.Being accused of making THAT SHIT UP by some character on the site.

7 hours ago, Archiesdad said:

Aye, I thought Barnes was a no hoper.

ut was unaware that grant had been asked.Ā 

was this under Clarke oti earlier, do you know.

He has a Scottish mammy ...

Ā 

Ā 

Grant was asked by Malky Mackay in 2017 IIRC and refused. That would be around 2 years after his last England U-19 appearances so not even being out in the cold with England could persuade him to backtrack on his commitment to England.Ā 

As for having a Scottish mother to far counter-balance that he was born in England, lived his whole life in England, has grown up as English, has played his whole football careeer in England and represented England and rejected Scotland.Ā 

As someone once said on TV: 'The clues are there.'

9 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Grant was asked by Malky Mackay in 2017 IIRC and refused. That would be around 2 years after his last England U-19 appearances so not even being out in the cold with England could persuade him to backtrack on his commitment to England.Ā 

As for having a Scottish mother to far counter-balance that he was born in England, lived his whole life in England, has grown up as English, has played his whole football careeer in England and represented England and rejected Scotland.Ā 

Yep.He is english.End of story.

13 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

SubstituteĀ  Scotland and Scottish for England and English, and you could be talking about Aidan McGeady. Wonder if RoI fans cared?

20 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

SubstituteĀ  Scotland and Scottish for England and English, and you could be talking about Aidan McGeady. Wonder if RoI fans cared?

So?

Scots were mostly all of the opinion that he was disloyal to the core. Seem to recall him being booed when he played for the Republic against us. He stirred up much angst but lest we forget he never once Scottish Schools rulings saw him stopped from being picked for Scotland Schools. Ireland stepped in and he chose Ireland representing them at U-17, U-19, U-21 and full level which is fair enough as he did not switch.

Grant chose his place of birth and where he has lived all of his life - England. He represented them at U-17, U-18 and U-19 level. He last represented England in 2015 and two years later Scotland came calling. And he rejected us in 2017 when he surely would have been most susceptible to a switch and the fact he still turned us down indicates there is no flame burning within him for Scotland.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

41 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

A potential World Cup or a euros looks good on a CV.Ā 

Wouldnā€™t be surprised if either play for us eventually, especially Grant.

Didnā€™t Dykes at one stage say he felt Australian and wanted to play for them?

This is my problem with all this crap.

I have no issue if we get hold of someone with extremely tenuous links to Scotland as long as their heart is genuinely in it and are not taking the piss of the system. Barnes is 'English through and through' according to his dad. A player such as that representing us is taking the piss. And Grant similarily has shown no inclination whatsoever of wanting to play for us. He has already been asked once and turned us down. Once is enough. He'd be another taking the piss out of the system and fans.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

This is my problem with all this crap.

I have no issue if we get hold of someone with extremely tenuous links to Scotland as long as their heart is genuinely in it and are not taking the piss of the system. Barnes is 'English through and through' according to his dad. A player such as that representing us is taking the piss. And Grant similarily has shown no inclination whatsoever of wanting to play for us. He has already been asked once and turned us down. Once is enough. He'd be another taking the piss out of the system and fans.

It is what it is unfortunately. If either are open to a call up then Clarke will almost definitely cap them.Ā