Harvey Barnes - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Harvey Barnes

Third Lanark

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, thesaint said:

If he decides to play for us.F..k me,i've heard it all now.

Well thats what happens, it's happened dozens of times in the past, guys like quashie, Ritchie, Adams made a decision they wanted to play for us. It's within the rules of international football. Take your anger up with fifa. 

27 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well thats what happens, it's happened dozens of times in the past, guys like quashie, Ritchie, Adams made a decision they wanted to play for us. It's within the rules of international football. Take your anger up with fifa. 

Quashie.Ritchie   and Adams.Thank God those three chose us.It may well be within the rules,but it doesn't mean we have to go searching out these f..king english rejects.Have some self respect.

48 minutes ago, csinclair said:

'Paul reveals that SFA performance director Malky Mackay has asked ‘repeatedly’ if he would be ready to play for Scotland, but Barnes is England from start to finish.'

That's Paul Barnes talking about his son last year

Good.hope he stays english from start to finish.Let that be the end of it.

11 hours ago, thesaint said:

Quashie.Ritchie   and Adams.Thank God those three chose us.It may well be within the rules,but it doesn't mean we have to go searching out these f..king english rejects.Have some self respect.

Spot on.

With a growing number of posts on here it is akin to watching a Martin Bell advert pleading for help for African children. 

Whats more it is downright disrespectful to presume or assume a player would turn his back on a country he himself has already chosen to represent. That in itself does NOT speak volumes for what you think of that player's moral scruples and loyalty. And to think you'd want such a player to then represent us? No thanks.

Yes I realise it is up to FIFA rules. So? There are many wrong and detestable FIFA rules out there that I do not agree with and this is one of them. Like someone mentioned on here (and does frequently and is spot on) players should sign forms when they sign their first football contract stating the nation they perceive themselves and wish to represent should they reach that level. Thereafter no going back or changing minds.

16 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The OP should know better than to listen to desperate speculation from SportSound pundits. FFS they were shooting in the dark asking for far left of field strikers Clarke will call up for the Moldova game but for what reason? Dykes is missing one game and Adams more than likely will start. No way does Clarke dip in and pull an untried, untested and uncapped striker out of thin air and whats more play him in such a massive game for Scotland. If he adds a striker to the squad (which I doubt he will) it will be Shankland or the likes of McBurnie and neither would play against Moldova.

You're right - I should know better but I also erroneously assume that they are more in the know than us.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Spot on.

With a growing number of posts on here it is akin to watching a Martin Bell advert pleading for help for African children. 

Whats more it is downright disrespectful to presume or assume a player would turn his back on a country he himself has already chosen to represent. That in itself does NOT speak volumes for what you think of that player's moral scruples and loyalty. And to think you'd want such a player to then represent us? No thanks.

Yes I realise it is up to FIFA rules. So? There are many wrong and detestable FIFA rules out there that I do not agree with and this is one of them. Like someone mentioned on here (and does frequently and is spot on) players should sign forms when they sign their first football contract stating the nation they perceive themselves and wish to represent should they reach that level. Thereafter no going back or changing minds.

Agree  totally that decision should be binding at 18 but just out of interest, what sort of a team would we have if we had limited ourselves to players born in Scotland of Scottish parents only? Tierney would be out for a start.

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Agree  totally that decision should be binding at 18 but just out of interest, what sort of a team would we have if we had limited ourselves to players born in Scotland of Scottish parents only? Tierney would be out for a start.

Well not if he had put Scotland as his choice and evidently feels Scottish enough to give that commitment. Big difference that to trying to scavenge players from other countries who have committed themselves to them. People here seem to forget the outrage caused when Aiden McGeady chose Ireland over Scotland yet here we are encouraging the same.

25 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well not if he had put Scotland as his choice and evidently feels Scottish enough to give that commitment. Big difference that to trying to scavenge players from other countries who have committed themselves to them. People here seem to forget the outrage caused when Aiden McGeady chose Ireland over Scotland yet here we are encouraging the same.

100% correct.It's all about the commitment.Not chasing after characters who have spent their careers trying to play for england.You can criticise McBurnie for his performances if you want,but never his commitment to play for Scotland.From school right through all the age levels he showed real commitment to the cause.Not some chancer who realises he isn't going to make it with england,and then grudgingly turns to us.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Sorry to upset the sign a form brigade but It’s probably not legal forcing someone to choose their nationality when they are dual nationality 

Amen to that. As a Scotsman with kids born and living in England, I find it a bit unsavoury the idea that they would be thrusted a pen with a form and a gun to the head on their 18th birthday! My kids are proud of both their Scottish and English roots. I try my best to persuade them to lean towards Scotland of course.

I like Steve Clarke’s more measured approach where if a player has turned us down, they have to approach us to be in contention for a call up.

Edited by breeks_mctavish

4 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Amen to that. As a Scotsman with kids born and living in England, I find it a bit unsavoury the idea that they would be thrusted a pen with a form and a gun to the head on their 18th birthday! My kids are proud of both their Scottish and English roots. I try my best to persuade them to err towards Scotland of course.

I like Steve Clarke’s more measured approach where if a player has turned us down, they have to approach us to be in contention for a call up.

Who on Earth is putting a gun to their head exactly?

All there needs on the form is a simple question of who your preferred option to represent is? If dual nationality they could write England/Scotland or Scotland/England. I am adamant that from a young age (even those with dual nationality) ,and I know as I have nephews that are such, they will know their preferences. They will know deep inside who they root for in sport unless, when Scotland played England at the Euros they were cheering on the draw?

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Who on Earth is putting a gun to their head exactly?

All there needs on the form is a simple question of who your preferred option to represent is? If dual nationality they could write England/Scotland or Scotland/England. I am adamant that from a young age (even those with dual nationality) ,and I know as I have nephews that are such, they will know their preferences. They will know deep inside who they root for in sport unless, when Scotland played England at the Euros they were cheering on the draw?

I was being facetious on that point Craig. But you do sound a bit like you might be holding a gun. You’re not, are you?

20 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Cant be arsed looking back that far, end of the day if karlan grant decides to play for us he will get picked because we have such poor options upfront.

Its not ideal but its reality. 

Spot on. 

If the fact Lawrence Shankland and a couple of lads who play in the English third division are being talked about as potential call-ups doesn't highlight how short of numbers we are in that position, I don't know what will.

5 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I was being facetious on that point Craig. But you do sound a bit like you might be holding a gun. You’re not, are you?

No. I am just a passionate Scot wanting only players dedicated 100% to playing for Scotland as their first or only country of choice. Is there anything wrong in that?

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

People were furious with McGeady because it looked like Scotland were missing out on a top player at a time when we were struggling bad to produce genuinely top players (as it turned out he was good, but no that good). 

The Republic of Ireland, who have used and benefited from FIFA's eligibility rules for years, had no qualms about calling him up and playing him though.  As we're competing with the likes of Ireland for qualification - and they have qualified for more tournaments than we have so far this century - it is stupid to impose restrictions on ourselves just on a point of principle.  I know it isn't perfect, but neither's the world.

26 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Amen to that. As a Scotsman with kids born and living in England, I find it a bit unsavoury the idea that they would be thrusted a pen with a form and a gun to the head on their 18th birthday! My kids are proud of both their Scottish and English roots. I try my best to persuade them to lean towards Scotland of course.

This "signing a form" idea is absurd.  😄 

People are still basically kids at 18; why should a player be bound for the entirety of his career by a decision he made when he was little more than a child? 

Like you say, it's perfectly possible for someone to feel an attachment to more than one country, so why shouldn't a player have the option to switch if he has a change of heart?

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No. I am just a passionate Scot wanting only players dedicated 100% to playing for Scotland as their first or only country of choice. Is there anything wrong in that?

Fair enough Craig, you make your point clearly. Personally, I do think it’s more nuanced than you think. My son’s only 10 and he’s flipped back and forth. He used to call himself Scottish, then English, then half Scottish. Quite possibly I’m a terrible parent and have confused the life out of him! If you’ve got dual nationality you can feel proud of coming from more than one country. You would absolutely represent either nation with total pride. I’m also sure you as a fan would cheer on all players in the Scotland team equally passionately whoever was selected. Now we can change the rules to make them less inclusive, sure. In reality, I don’t think that’s the way the wind is blowing in football or society.

Let’s say the rules did change. You could just imagine the respective FAs whispering in the ears of all the top dual nationality players as it approaches the deadline to sign the forms. It could be quite ugly.

Each to their own, but sorry not for me.

41 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Fair enough Craig, you make your point clearly. Personally, I do think it’s more nuanced than you think. My son’s only 10 and he’s flipped back and forth. He used to call himself Scottish, then English, then half Scottish. Quite possibly I’m a terrible parent and have confused the life out of him! If you’ve got dual nationality you can feel proud of coming from more than one country. You would absolutely represent either nation with total pride. I’m also sure you as a fan would cheer on all players in the Scotland team equally passionately whoever was selected. Now we can change the rules to make them less inclusive, sure. In reality, I don’t think that’s the way the wind is blowing in football or society.

Let’s say the rules did change. You could just imagine the respective FAs whispering in the ears of all the top dual nationality players as it approaches the deadline to sign the forms. It could be quite ugly.

Each to their own, but sorry not for me.

I agree with this. Well put. 

1 hour ago, thelonehutch said:

He's a good player and would add to the squad. Any player who decides his future lies with Scotland will have my support 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍

It's came to this has it?Truly truly awful.Do you really not want our players to be commited to playing for Scotland,and not just us being a conveinance for guys who can't get a cap for england.Absolutely no self respect.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Nothing wrong with that.In fact,it's the way every SCOTLAND supporter should feel.Can't even believe we are having a discussion like this.

If I was a footballer, I'd actually qualify for England (country of birth), Scotland (Father and his family), Wales (maternal grandfather) & Ireland (maternal grandmother) funnily enough.

I've always supported Scotland because of my Dad and I've always felt a closer tie to that part of my heritage.

In a very hypothetical world where I was actually good enough to be a professional, I'd want to be playing for Scotland, but if that was never to be, then I'd at least like a chance to play for Ireland who I also feel some connection to.
Having dual (or more) nationalities is a hard thing to gauge and measure.

On 10/17/2021 at 6:30 PM, todd said:

You surely will receive the inevitable volley of abuse 😄 Bizarrely, probably from people whom are quite happy to support a club side containing, at most, 2 players even from the actual country the club plays in!

Why would you compare club to country? totally different kettle of haddock. 

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

If I was a footballer, I'd actually qualify for England (country of birth), Scotland (Father and his family), Wales (maternal grandfather) & Ireland (maternal grandmother) funnily enough.

I've always supported Scotland because of my Dad and I've always felt a closer tie to that part of my heritage.

In a very hypothetical world where I was actually good enough to be a professional, I'd want to be playing for Scotland, but if that was never to be, then I'd at least like a chance to play for Ireland who I also feel some connection to.
Having dual (or more) nationalities is a hard thing to gauge and measure.

Just because you're eligible doesn't mean you should. You play for YOUR country, end of. If you're not good enough to play for YOUR country don't insult people by stealing a jersey from someone elses.