COP26 - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, phart said:

Seen that, and the fall out afterwards. The guy did the right thing and just stay silent after that comment, which might have been the stupidest comment i've heard for w hile. Although to be fair it was all designed to get the guy raging and said as a rhetorical trick as opposed to trying to be factually accurate.

It's great as the interviewer just looks like a fuckin moron.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/19/2021 at 10:36 AM, Orraloon said:

For £800 you could probably drive to Moscow and back. 😂

And yet these folk think they need a multi million pound conference with 25,000 attendees to work out what the problem is. 😉

There was a great voxpop on Reporting Scotland - the woman said it was ridiculous and it could be done by email 😂👍

18 hours ago, Lamia said:

There was a great voxpop on Reporting Scotland - the woman said it was ridiculous and it could be done by email 😂👍

That might be a bit much, but I think it's fair to ask why there was a G20 summit in Rome yesterday and then they're all flying to Glasgow today.  

2 hours ago, chaff said:

what are we all realistically expecting to come out of this?

Will anything change? 

I don't think anything will change till it gets dramatically out of hand. We'll get an increase in eco-terrorism Unilateral actions by affected countries, mass migration the like we've never seen etc.

Virologists had been warning for years about a pandemic and nothing was done till the pandemic kicked off. Hell then even wrote a popular book about it happening a decade ago(published in 2012, but author spent 5 years researching it):https://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/nov/11/spillover-animal-infections-pandemic-quammen-review

There's a great book called "Merchants of doubt" which shows how with the net etc now it's easy to get a minority view and then pretend that's an equal weight on the scales of credulity(see tobacco). So folk don't even think climate change is really a problem and just another scam by big weather or whatever the catch all term is for it. Except in the last 10 years all the bets made by climate skeptics have been lost. The models have shown their predictive powers. In fact they won the nobel prize in physics this year.

It'll obviously take a while for us to get there it's a large system that's slowly changing so the time scales are more in decades.

While politicians work on a 5 year re-election cycle there's almost no long-term planning.

9 hours ago, phart said:

I don't think anything will change till it gets dramatically out of hand. We'll get an increase in eco-terrorism Unilateral actions by affected countries, mass migration the like we've never seen etc.

Virologists had been warning for years about a pandemic and nothing was done till the pandemic kicked off. Hell then even wrote a popular book about it happening a decade ago(published in 2012, but author spent 5 years researching it):https://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/nov/11/spillover-animal-infections-pandemic-quammen-review

There's a great book called "Merchants of doubt" which shows how with the net etc now it's easy to get a minority view and then pretend that's an equal weight on the scales of credulity(see tobacco). So folk don't even think climate change is really a problem and just another scam by big weather or whatever the catch all term is for it. Except in the last 10 years all the bets made by climate skeptics have been lost. The models have shown their predictive powers. In fact they won the nobel prize in physics this year.

It'll obviously take a while for us to get there it's a large system that's slowly changing so the time scales are more in decades.

While politicians work on a 5 year re-election cycle there's almost no long-term planning.

Completely agree with you.

All I've heard so far, (I know its the first day) is "we need to do something."

No shit, I thought that's why you were there.

At least Greta is having fun.

https://twitter.com/petercassidy20/status/1455201968432029710?t=K5NtW-DkrbSlJeYGZKk_LQ&s=08

On 10/30/2021 at 4:08 PM, exile said:

Extinction Rebellion people in Buchanan St this afternoon

Some of them were outside my window this afternoon, practising.  Distracted me from me from my skiving, so they did.

11 hours ago, chaff said:

what are we all realistically expecting to come out of this?

Will anything change? 

I hope so, but the cynic in me says no.  Climate change something we all need to get on board with but vested interests will ensure that doesn't happen.

Individual governments might enact legislation and the likes of us will get rid of our gas boilers, trot out and buy electric cars, take public transport that we've been "encouraged" to use and recycle like the good wee citizens that we are.  Meanwhile China - whose head of government couldn't even be arsed attending the conference in person - and India - who have kicked the net zero emissions can down the road to 2070, two decades after the agreed target - will continue to belch out emissions and we in the west will continue to buy the cheap shiny shit they produce, believing it to be progress

Sadly, as is often the case with our species, I suspect the penny will only really drop once it's too late to do anything about it.  :(

Edited by scotlad

23 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

I think you'll find all the answers in this little video from The Black Country...😏

Funnily enough the two scientists who said solar activity was responsible (one of the many wrong claims in that interminable video) for climate change lost their bet and then refused to pay out.

Galina Mashnich and Vladimir Bashkirtsev made the bet , lost and then didn't pay out.

I hate these political games. Everyone does it as well.

Fucking hate political parties as a concept as well.

Why would any competent person even get into politics these days with the dregs entrenched in it. Can make a better less stressful life for yourself out with politics if you have even an ounce of intelligence/competence.

I

56 minutes ago, exile said:

Looks like the Lib Dems are so angry about the SNP prioritising independence, they're publicising it 😅

image.thumb.png.26b4be9f7c45c69ded9688725f04979f.png

Incompetent pricks can't even spell "Outset".

I wish she would prioritise indy a bit more actually.  If we did decide to do anything radical about climate change, it would be far easier to do it as an indy nation, without being constrained by the UK government who frankly will just try to monetise it for their own ends.  We'll probably be generating megawatts of renewable energy and Scotland will be charged to transmit it down south.

Edited by Alibi

22 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Incompetent pricks can't even spell "Outset".

I wish she would prioritise indy a bit more actually.  If we did decide to do anything radical about climate change, it would be far easier to do it as an indy nation, without being constrained by the UK government who frankly will just try to monetise it for their own ends.  We'll probably be generating megawatts of renewable energy and Scotland will be charged to transmit it down south.

Absolutely. Use this to our full advantage now.

1 hour ago, Och Aye said:

Absolutely. Use this to our full advantage now.

I think this is a mistake Nicola has made on a number of occasions. She doesn't take full advantage of the opportunities given to her. It looks like the brexit opportunity has come and gone. She deliberately decided not to use the COVID crises to push the case for independence. She should have been saying over, and over again, that this is what I would have liked to have done if only the Scottish government had the power to do it. 

Ordinary folk are generally not very interested in politics, but these are two issues where a huge proportion of the population have taken an interest. IMO, she should have used those two topics of great interest to the general public, as a platform to show the people of Scotland how an Independent Scotland could do things differently. 

From what I see and hear, ordinary voters are just starting to take an interest in the climate crisis. She should be using this to show what Scotland could do differently if only we were independent. I'm fairly sure that threatening to close down Cambo before it even gets started is not the right way to go, though.

8 hours ago, phart said:

I hate these political games. Everyone does it as well.

Fucking hate political parties as a concept as well.

Why would any competent person even get into politics these days with the dregs entrenched in it. Can make a better less stressful life for yourself out with politics if you have even an ounce of intelligence/competence.

I

In our office of 70 folk I'd estimate nearly 10 would get paid £60k in line with MSP salary and probably 4 would be MP level.  There's probably 2-3 of them I'd say capable of running a backwater constituency including at a push Minister of State for Universities whilst the remaining seven would barely trust to run a bath but like you say why would they even want it in the first place?