COP26 - Page 11 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is that the exact quote from somewhere cause i listened to it there and that's not what he said, he said:

"It is only the hard right who continue to deny the reality that, not only environment groups, but the International Energy Agency, are very clearly saying, that new oil and gas extraction is simply not compatible with preserving our life support system.”

So he's saying that only the hard right continue to deny that enviromental groups and international energy agencies are clearly saying new oil and gas extractions are not compatible with preserving our life support.

as opposed to only the hard right support north sea drilling.

They may have said the quoted thing as well though. Papers sell outrage though so might have tweaked it to get clicks.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

hard right in Norway would be like labour here, having worked there for three years i understand the politics very well, you know as well as i do that they are not "hard right" haha. I do believe we will as a species need to move away from fossil fuels however importing from other countries at the expense of home jobs and revenue is insanity 

You previously said that there was no need to divest from fossil fuels for thirty years.

This is the second party in the Norwegian coalition, sounds pretty right wing to me but then I guess it depends where you place the centre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progress_Party_(Norway)

20 minutes ago, phart said:

Is that the exact quote from somewhere cause i listened to it there and that's not what he said, he said:

"It is only the hard right who continue to deny the reality that, not only environment groups, but the International Energy Agency, are very clearly saying, that new oil and gas extraction is simply not compatible with preserving our life support system.”

So he's saying that only the hard right continue to deny that enviromental groups and international energy agencies are clearly saying new oil and gas extractions are not compatible with preserving our life support.

as opposed to only the hard right support north sea drilling.

They may have said the quoted thing as well though. Papers sell outrage though so might have tweaked it to get clicks.

“Labour and Lib Dems have changed their position, and the Tories are now isolated.

“It is only the hard right who continue to deny the reality that, not only environment groups, but the International Energy Agency, are very clearly saying, that new oil and gas extraction is simply not compatible with preserving our life support system.”

Mr Harvie added that it was “absurd” to suggest that the transition to renewable technologies would depend on more drilling.         

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/politics/scottish-politics/3721677/cambo-patrick-harvie-says-only-the-hard-right-now-support-new-north-sea-drilling/?utm_source=twitter

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

You previously said that there was no need to divest from fossil fuels for thirty years.

This is the second party in the Norwegian coalition, sounds pretty right wing to me but then I guess it depends where you place the centre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progress_Party_(Norway)

you are speaking rubbish again, i have never said such like,, i have said we will be producing oil from the northsea for many many more years, i have said as long as we import more than we produce there is no need to divest from fossil fuels,, its common sense

2 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

you are speaking rubbish again, i have never said such like,, i have said we will be producing oil from the northsea for many many more years, i have said as long as we import more than we produce there is no need to divest from fossil fuels,, its common sense

1 hour ago, aaid said:

To quote you, you said

““You previously said that there was no need to divest from fossil fuels for thirty year””

correct me if i am wrong but where do i say there is “no need to divest” i say the future lies away from fossil fuels 30 years down the road, never once have i said there is no need to.. wrongfully quoting me,,, tut tut 

I was just checking as had only seen the other quote which seems to be the same one in both our posts.

I'm no expert but it seems using what we have to transition to where we need to be is not a bad idea.

Just assuming we can turn off the tap doesn't seem feasible at all.

It's actually what China is doing and they ostensibly seem to have the best coherent transition plan out there that i've seen, Mind not only am I an idiot i'm also not even educated on this subject.

6 minutes ago, phart said:

I was just checking as had only seen the other quote which seems to be the same one in both our posts.

I'm no expert but it seems using what we have to transition to where we need to be is not a bad idea.

Just assuming we can turn off the tap doesn't seem feasible at all.

It's actually what China is doing and they ostensibly seem to have the best coherent transition plan out there that i've seen, Mind not only am I an idiot i'm also not even educated on this subject.

I don’t think anyone is seriously suggesting that the tap is turned off tomorrow, some people are spreading disinformation suggesting that is what’s happening, that 100000 jobs will disappear over night.

What does need to happen *now* and tbf has been happening for a while is that demand needs to be reined in and needs to start to fall.  Earlier in the thread I posted a report from Oil and Gas UK which showed production (and demand) for oil predicted to peak - this is pre COP26 - in the next year or two and then to fall sharply over the next couple of next decades to virtually nothing.  The pace of that probably needs to accelerate.

The question therefore is whether, with that predicted decline in demand, that the existing developed fields can meet that without need for new fields to be opened up.  

31 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

To quote you, you said

““You previously said that there was no need to divest from fossil fuels for thirty year””

correct me if i am wrong but where do i say there is “no need to divest” i say the future lies away from fossil fuels 30 years down the road, never once have i said there is no need to.. wrongfully quoting me,,, tut tut 

At which point then do you think we need to start to divest, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, when you retire, never?

Clearly, you don’t think it’s now.

The fossil fuel industry was determined after the WW1 as The means to hinder a people’s economy.

it’s never been a conspiracy as the story has been written in books for centuries. 
according to the scientific time line from the report that led to the creation of Extinction Rebellion in 2018 , we are into year 4 of 12 of the Anthropocene extinction. 

10 hours ago, aaid said:

At which point then do you think we need to start to divest, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, when you retire, never?

Clearly, you don’t think it’s now.

can you not see that we are already "divesting" away from fossil fuels, however to come out against the industry full stop is foolish, verging on stupidity. if the cambo field gets developed, the countries oil production will still be lower then than it is at the moment, old fields reserves are depleting, the cormorants will be gone within 5 years along with the thistle and heather ect. i will just remind you again that we can hit net zero and still have an oild and gas industry, carbon capture is the key to all of this and whether Westminster supports it at boddam, the SG should be actively pushing for this.

regarding retirement, i have 35 years left to work (health permitting), i am in a lucky position where i can transition into the renewables tomorrow if i wanted, however i enjoy my work and it has been good by me and gave me a great education and i have seen the world on the back of it, so i will stick where i am for the time being

If you are thinking of getting an old school car before they get banned now is the time to do it.

I have never owned a new car in my life but have a brand spanking new xxxxx on order. Don’t need it and would never have bought it otherwise. Thanks you green twats. 

So what would you buy before the final curtain comes down on old school cars? You better get in now as they really are going to kill all your fun. 

Professor Ferguson said the new variant, which is believed to more transmissible than Delta, has been detected in almost every region in the UK.

He added that it’s prevalence in Scotland could be down to COP26, the UN climate conference held in October and November.

“It’s speculation, but it’s coincidental with when we think it may have been seeded in that area,” Mr Ferguson said.

In Scotland, 99 cases of the variant, first confirmed by South Africa, have been identified as of Tuesday.

The UK as a whole has confirmed 437 cases of the Omicron variant.

https://inews.co.uk/news/omicron-covid-cases-overtake-delta-variant-infections-uk-before-christmas-1340762

On 12/8/2021 at 7:42 PM, thplinth said:

If you are thinking of getting an old school car before they get banned now is the time to do it.

I have never owned a new car in my life but have a brand spanking new xxxxx on order. Don’t need it and would never have bought it otherwise. Thanks you green twats. 

So what would you buy before the final curtain comes down on old school cars? You better get in now as they really are going to kill all your fun. 

Is that an Australian car?  😉

I think I might go for a Toyota GR Yaris - 250bhp, all-wheel drive, probably the last hot-hatch of its type to go on the market.  They brought it out as a limited edition run but it proved so popular that apparently they are building more. 

I saw a nearly new one for sale earlier this year but it was too dear; I reckon in a year or two though they'll be a few on the used market that will be more affordable.

7 hours ago, scotlad said:

Is that an Australian car?  😉

I think I might go for a Toyota GR Yaris - 250bhp, all-wheel drive, probably the last hot-hatch of its type to go on the market.  They brought it out as a limited edition run but it proved so popular that apparently they are building more. 

I saw a nearly new one for sale earlier this year but it was too dear; I reckon in a year or two though they'll be a few on the used market that will be more affordable.

😃 I was trying to be non specific but that is the exact car I have on order. Last homologation special of its kind, probably. 

It is six months late due to the chip shortage and I have been killing myself thinking I should just cancel as I totally don’t need it. I just can’t seem to send the email canceling it. 

it is only a 3 cylinder 1.6 engine. So it is practically electric FFS. Full Toyota 5 year guarantee and they reckon they must be losing 10 grand a car to get it out. 

I just thought if I am ever going to buy a car for fun I d better do it now and along came the GR Yaris. Wish I had the money to lay down a stock of classics before they ban them all.

On 12/10/2021 at 8:57 AM, thplinth said:

Professor Ferguson said the new variant, which is believed to more transmissible than Delta, has been detected in almost every region in the UK.

He added that it’s prevalence in Scotland could be down to COP26, the UN climate conference held in October and November.

“It’s speculation, but it’s coincidental with when we think it may have been seeded in that area,” Mr Ferguson said.

In Scotland, 99 cases of the variant, first confirmed by South Africa, have been identified as of Tuesday.

The UK as a whole has confirmed 437 cases of the Omicron variant.

https://inews.co.uk/news/omicron-covid-cases-overtake-delta-variant-infections-uk-before-christmas-1340762

Thy keep trying to tell us COP had nothing to do with it and I quite simply don't believe them.

1 hour ago, Lamia said:

Thy keep trying to tell us COP had nothing to do with it and I quite simply don't believe them.

Remember when the whole thing initially broke and the media kept going on about the Nike conference saying it had been covered up and was responsible for the spread around Scotland.  Then when they were able to do the genomic sequencing and it turned out it was nothing of the case?

The subtext here of course is people with an agenda trying to pin this some how on the Scottish Government despite the UK government being the host and the COP26 site being UN territory for the duration.  

10 hours ago, aaid said:

Remember when the whole thing initially broke and the media kept going on about the Nike conference saying it had been covered up and was responsible for the spread around Scotland.  Then when they were able to do the genomic sequencing and it turned out it was nothing of the case?

The subtext here of course is people with an agenda trying to pin this some how on the Scottish Government despite the UK government being the host and the COP26 site being UN territory for the duration.  

I know but this is significantly more likely!

21 minutes ago, Lamia said:

I know but this is significantly more likely!

Why?

Two things we know already about Omicrom.  One it is more than transmissible than previous variants, two, it has a shorter incubation period.  

COP26 started six weeks ago and finished a month ago.  Had COP been responsible for importing the variant into Scotland then you would have expected to see this show up in data some time ago and not just in the last week or so.  In fact, until recently case numbers in Scotland had been falling.

I’m not saying that it definitively *not* related to COP but it seems to me that you and others are looking at one aspect - it appears to have originated in Southern Africa - and when we’re a lot of people from there in Scotland, COP, but ignoring the other, probably more significant, factor of the timeline in play.  

I'm not sure that speculation does any good here.  The likelihood is it’s been imported somehow, unless you permanently close all borders and don’t allow *any* travel to and from anywhere in the world you won’t stop new variants being imported.  

14 hours ago, thplinth said:

😃 I was trying to be non specific but that is the exact car I have on order. Last homologation special of its kind, probably. 

It is six months late due to the chip shortage and I have been killing myself thinking I should just cancel as I totally don’t need it. I just can’t seem to send the email canceling it. 

it is only a 3 cylinder 1.6 engine. So it is practically electric FFS. Full Toyota 5 year guarantee and they reckon they must be losing 10 grand a car to get it out. 

I just thought if I am ever going to buy a car for fun I d better do it now and along came the GR Yaris. Wish I had the money to lay down a stock of classics before they ban them all.

😄  Good on you!  No, I don't really need one either - and if I actually needed a car it'd probably be something more practical - but driving is one of life's wee pleasures so you might as well go for something fun (before we're all trundling around in Nissan Leafs and Renault Zoes, or worse).

Aye, with the use of turbos modern engines are a lot more fuel efficient than older models.  I've a Fiesta ST at the moment, which is a 1.5 3cyl, and when I was using it for commuting it needed filling up about once a month if that.

7 hours ago, aaid said:

Why?

Two things we know already about Omicrom.  One it is more than transmissible than previous variants, two, it has a shorter incubation period.  

COP26 started six weeks ago and finished a month ago.  Had COP been responsible for importing the variant into Scotland then you would have expected to see this show up in data some time ago and not just in the last week or so.  In fact, until recently case numbers in Scotland had been falling.

I’m not saying that it definitively *not* related to COP but it seems to me that you and others are looking at one aspect - it appears to have originated in Southern Africa - and when we’re a lot of people from there in Scotland, COP, but ignoring the other, probably more significant, factor of the timeline in play.  

I'm not sure that speculation does any good here.  The likelihood is it’s been imported somehow, unless you permanently close all borders and don’t allow *any* travel to and from anywhere in the world you won’t stop new variants being imported.  

And do you really think they would tell us if it was in the data....

14 minutes ago, Lamia said:

And do you really think they would tell us if it was in the data....

Why wouldn’t they, do you think that nearly two years into this the figures are being fiddled to downplay things, to what effect?

If Omicron was in the Scotland six weeks ago, cases would’ve been going up, not down, even if they hadn’t identified them as Omicron.