COP26 - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I think this is a mistake Nicola has made on a number of occasions. She doesn't take full advantage of the opportunities given to her. It looks like the brexit opportunity has come and gone. She deliberately decided not to use the COVID crises to push the case for independence. She should have been saying over, and over again, that this is what I would have liked to have done if only the Scottish government had the power to do it. 

Ordinary folk are generally not very interested in politics, but these are two issues where a huge proportion of the population have taken an interest. IMO, she should have used those two topics of great interest to the general public, as a platform to show the people of Scotland how an Independent Scotland could do things differently. 

From what I see and hear, ordinary voters are just starting to take an interest in the climate crisis. She should be using this to show what Scotland could do differently if only we were independent. I'm fairly sure that threatening to close down Cambo before it even gets started is not the right way to go, though.

I was thinking about this the other day, their approach sometimes seems too low key. I imagined, if Alec Salmond was FM, wouldn't he be more vocal and even if not invited, getting up to some mischief and making more of it?

But then, it seems that NS has managed to get probably a higher than expected amount of airtime, including meeting lots of international politicians and exposure to international media, reaffirming indyref2 comitment, then the 'nation in waiting' thing, and even attending the Kelvingrove banquet with Joe Biden and also interacting with Greta Thunberg. Even if it's not formally giving a keynote speech, she has done a lot more than I was expecting already, and it's only day two.

So I'm assuming her tack, as an actual leader of Government representing the people of Scotland of all stripes, is to take a subtle approach (like the Nation in Waiting thing - it gives the signal, without being seen to hijack the conference overtly). Which is maybe what the invitation is tacitly based on.

But that shouldn't stop others being more in your face and partisan if that's their game. It would be a perfet opportunity for someone like Salmond to stir things up with some speeches of his own. But I haven't seen or heard of any?

38 minutes ago, exile said:

I was thinking about this the other day, their approach sometimes seems too low key. I imagined, if Alec Salmond was FM, wouldn't he be more vocal and even if not invited, getting up to some mischief and making more of it?

One of the key, probably the key, steps to becoming independent is to get international recognition.

What’s more likely to be get that, or at least to allow you to put your point across, being “in the room” and able to lobby other leaders or being on the outside causing mischief?

The latter is only for domestic consumption anywa6, you can do that anytime if you’re so minded,  what other opportunity would the FM of Scotland have to get close to world leaders and global influencers?

12 hours ago, aaid said:

One of the key, probably the key, steps to becoming independent is to get international recognition.

What’s more likely to be get that, or at least to allow you to put your point across, being “in the room” and able to lobby other leaders or being on the outside causing mischief?

The latter is only for domestic consumption anywa6, you can do that anytime if you’re so minded,  what other opportunity would the FM of Scotland have to get close to world leaders and global influencers?

Yes, international recognition trumps domestic politicking. The fact NS is, after all, involved in the event, including rubbing shoulders with world leaders, fits with the 'governmental statesman' rather than 'insurgent' approach.

It still allows someone like Salmond to play a more vocal 'insurgent' card, though I haven't heard it. I would have said the same of the Greens before they went into government. 

47 minutes ago, aaid said:

The picture the UKG were determined wasn’t going to happen.

Indeed, and it doesn't matter if it's Sturgeon & Biden or Salmond & Trump.*

I see he gave her a gift too. The usual suspects will be raging! 😅

* Having said that, I suspect Biden's distaste for the UK is a factor though. As a supporter of Ireland he's likely to be much more naturally relaxed about the disintegration of the UK, or tacitly supportive of Scottish independence, than Trump.

Edited by exile

12 minutes ago, exile said:

Indeed, and it doesn't matter if it's Sturgeon & Biden or Salmond & Trump.*

I see he gave her a gift too. The usual suspects will be raging! 😅

* Having said that, I suspect Biden's distaste for the UK is a factor though. As a supporter of Ireland he's likely to be much more naturally inclined to Scottish Independence than Trump.

Trump wasn’t even a candidate then and it’s a connection that Salmond came to regret.

Regardless of what your view is of the incumbent the reality is that POTUS is a hugely significant office and one you’d want onside.

I’m not sure which photo will have the usual suspects seeking more, this one or the one with Greta Thunberg  

I was reading a couple of weeks ago there were two things that the UKG were desperate to come of out COP26. One was to get a deal on Net Zero, the other was to ensure that there was no photo of Biden with Sturgeon. 

Edited by aaid

I think the point is that it was a quip about Tory ministers in the Daily Mail.

" ‘There are three objectives at COP: Save the planet. Save the country. And stop Sturgeon from getting a photo with Biden.’"

Ok I am all ears... explain it to me.

Why would anyone actually give a fuck about this useless arsehole shaking hands with this other useless arsehole?! (Seriously though who!!) 

One is the worst 'leader' the world has ever seen and the other is Joe Biden. 😀

1 hour ago, chaff said:

Is anyone going to the All under one banner thing on saturday at COP26?

Is that still going ahead? 

I can understand them trying to seize the opportunity but I suspect it will be overshadowed (and easily ignored by the press) by the climate change protests.

16 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I expect the 'yoons' could not care less. A pair of clinton loving wankers shaking hands... oooOOOooo terrifying. 

Oh, they will, you can count on that.  

Anything - absolutely anything - that has even hints at Scotland being elevated above the status of a region of "Britain" infuriates them!

I don't think America is pro independence, much more 'anti-limey'.

And 'Deep state' America definitely sees 'our independence' as 'not in their interests'. 

We are 'strategic' to them... same as we are a 'minor subset' of the UK. The US strategically 'bought' us when they bought the UK.

Who do you think is running Nicola, who fucked Alex.  😉

There is a really interesting sub-theory behind this and it involves Trump! Thankfully none of you are interested in it.

Hard to believe this was nearly 15 years ago now. I can recall talking about it on here I think.

Even more relevant to what we are seeing today 

Watch it again and then think about them closing down the oil & gas industry and banning the internal combustion engine etc etc... killing off the coal industry. There is a lot more to this than meets the eye. This was before the IPCC scandal as well.

Also very relevant to the way the pandemic is being exploited and indeed the entire woke / 'progressive' movement.

This is also very relevant to what is going on.

An inconvenient truth…yeah the only inconvenient truth I can see is that CO2 levels are correlated to temperature levels but CO2 on average lags temperature changes by 800 years! It is mind bending. Lol. 

Global temperature changes…and 800 years later CO2 follows.

But they are telling you CO2 is causing the temperature change. Think about it. It is madness.

Why 800 years? Because that is how long it takes for the oceans to react to changes in the sun. 

They are destroying economies and millions of jobs based on bullshit.

Edited by thplinth