COP26 - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

The lack focus on this from mainstream media is damning. . Barely a peep from the Unionist crazies in the Herald comments is very telling,   and the usual bickering about everything except the subject matter in the Scotsman. 
I agree with very little in this article , to say it has not been done for political reasons is utterly bizarre, but I do agree with the ‘Boy who cried Wolf ‘ comment. The SNP need to pick their battles and not constantly whine about everything and anything.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/columnists/snps-constant-claims-of-persecution-are-turning-scotland-into-boy-who-cried-wolf-brian-wilson-3429633 

Yeah Brian Wilson CBE, one of the most bitter, single-notedly SNPbad politicians that was ever given a newspaper column.

It's all Scotland's / the Scottish Government's fault, with not a single of word of criticism for the Tories. 

The 'boy who cried wolf' is a clever line devised to suppress dissent. It implies the Tories could do anything to Scotland and we're not supposed to complain in case it's 'crying wolf'. 

Yes any party needs to pick its battles but seems to me this is a clear case where something was touted as a union dividend coming to Scotland, since 2014, and now the referendum and elections are safely out the way, that promise mysteriously dematerialises, to put it kindly. Sometimes the wolf is actually there!

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, exile said:

Yeah Brian Wilson CBE, one of the most bitter, single-notedly SNPbad politicians that was ever given a newspaper column.

It's all Scotland's / the Scottish Government's fault, with not a single of word of criticism for the Tories. 

The 'boy who cried wolf' is a clever line devised to suppress dissent. It implies the Tories could do anything to Scotland and we're not supposed to complain in case it's 'crying wolf'. 

Yes any party needs to pick its battles but seems to me this is a clear case where something was touted as a union dividend coming to Scotland, since 2014, and now the referendum and elections are safely out the way, that promise mysteriously dematerialises, to put it kindly. Sometimes the wolf is actually there!

Yes, that is what I mean, on this occasion Scotland really has been shafted but it is falling on deaf ears as the general guy in the street knows nothing about carbon capture and just hears the SNP blaming Westminster again. I think Brian Wilson even knows we have been shafted , hence ‘the boy who cried wolf ‘ analogy , but all he can do is blame the SNP rather than admit the UK government has reneged on a promise. 
But I do think the SNP need to focus on clear issues like this than constantly try and find tenuous ways to blame Westminster. There are plenty of  true grievances and people are more likely to listen to these as opposed to being  deafened by constant white noise. 

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Yes, that is what I mean, on this occasion Scotland really has been shafted but it is falling on deaf ears as the general guy in the street knows nothing about carbon capture and just hears the SNP blaming Westminster again. I think Brian Wilson even knows we have been shafted , hence ‘the boy who cried wolf ‘ analogy , but all he can do is blame the SNP rather than admit the UK government has reneged on a promise. 
But I do think the SNP need to focus on clear issues like this than constantly try and find tenuous ways to blame Westminster. There are plenty of  true grievances and people are more likely to listen to these as opposed to being  deafened by constant white noise. 

I see what you mean. I think part of the problem is that some positive things are done in Scotland but are not so widely reported; the media hype up confrontation - whether those blaming Westminster or those blaming the Scottish Govt. 

23 minutes ago, exile said:

I see what you mean. I think part of the problem is that some positive things are done in Scotland but are not so widely reported; the media hype up confrontation - whether those blaming Westminster or those blaming the Scottish Govt. 

Yes I agree. IMO positive information  will always outweigh negative but when there is a distinct reluctance to report this by the media  it is easier to revert to a slanging match. 

And its easier to criticise the party in power as they are directly answerable to the electorate and of course should be accountable . 

You can go to umpteen Eastern European cities that just three decades ago were desperately poor and emerging from 50 years of communism. They have immaculate cities in comparison.

It is corruption and incompetence in equal measure plain and simple. And the SNP are worse than old labour ever were. Look at the nick of the city. They could not run a bath.

37 minutes ago, thplinth said:

You can go to umpteen Eastern European cities that just three decades ago were desperately poor and emerging from 50 years of communism. They have immaculate cities in comparison.

It is corruption and incompetence in equal measure plain and simple. And the SNP are worse than old labour ever were. Look at the nick of the city. They could not run a bath.

You can also go to umpteen cities around Europe that a struggling with the same litter problems as Glasgow, and for the same reasons. Bit of perspective needed.....

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/19585700.litter-not-just-glasgow-problem-world-struggling-hold-back-tide-rubbish-david-leask/

"

Let’s start with Sicily. Quotidiano di Sicilia, a daily based in Catania, on Wednesday declared that the entire province of Siracusa was facing a rubbish emergency. Collections of recyclable plastic and metal have been halted altogether, it reported with pictures of long rows of uncollected plastic rubbish bags on residential streets.

READ MORE: Why all the Glasgow criticism?

Local website Siracusa News published a video of a suburb of the city where an entire lane of traffic on a roundabout was filled with a long row of unsorted rubbish. “This is a health emergency,” it said, citing a rise in sightings of mice. The area, made of 1970s mini-blocks, was also filled with ad-hoc mini-dumps of flytipped waste.

Now, there are specific problems in Sicily, limits on capacity at landfills. Gazzetta del Sud, another local paper, published a picture of bin lorries unable to get in to a coup. In fact, national TV news TG24 has this week also reported that dumps could be full in southern Italy in three years. The north of the country is not that far behind.

But the pandemic has put extra pressure on a system already on the edge.

Not collecting recycling was a common decision made during the pandemic. But it had consequences: it meant more rubbish in landfills that might not have space, as in Sicily. Or extra costs for landfilling, as in Scotland.

Rome is also officially in a rubbish emergency. Italy’s capital has famously long had a problem with trash. This has got much worse over the last year, with serious littering and street bins invisible under industrial-scale piles of blue bags. A social media campaign – Reprendiamoci Roma – has catalogued horrendous scenes.

Rome has even had to ask rival Naples – home to the “land of fire” illegal rubbish-burning sites and one of Europe’s worst litter hotspots – to take 150 tonnes of trash a day off its hands for disposal.

READ MORE: City rubbish branded unacceptable

But reports on Wednesday from Rome underlined just how serious flytipping has become. La Repubblica, the national paper based in the city, said 14 members of an organised crime gang were under investigation for dumping cookers, fridges and other stripped-down electric appliances on suburban roadsides. Sound familiar? Scottish authorities have blamed criminal gangs for waste dumped illegally under the M8 and elsewhere.

Criminals have long muscled in on the waste industry – in some countries more than in others. But the hard times of Covid – and difficulties accessing legitimate recycling or dumping areas – have made this problem worse too.

Things have not been easy in France either. Marseille, Glasgow’s twin, this winter suffered a Covid bin strike with black bags heaped on street corners. In Paris, the biggest canal basin, filled with floating plastic and other trash, including facemasks. Le Parisien said the scenes were “post-apocalyptic”.

France also demonstrated one of the Covid-era litter issues. Rubbish was not where you might expect it to be. As shops and restaurants closed, there was less trash in retail and tourist drags. But more rubbish in parks.

France Blue, for example, reported a crisis of litter from thousands of impromptu picnics as people ate out in parks and riversides. Furious Parisians used the SaccageParis hashtag to highlight vandals wrecking their city with leftovers and litter.

The story was much the same in Spain, where local authorities tired of clearing up after botellones, street drinking parties long a favourite of the nation’s youth but far more popular when bars were shut.

In Russia last winter the great city of Novosibirsk saw de-facto dumps emerge in streets and horror stories of litter swept in to the air by wind. “The rubbish is flying”, was one headline.

In Ireland there were demands for “personal responsibility” as litter built up in Dublin.

There is too little space to go through all the rubbish stories of Europe. They are endless. There is an old reporter saying, all news, it goes, is local. And that is true. But sometimes if you want to understand your patch, you have to look at others too."

4 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Wait you have a problem with RT but you are quoting the herald? Lol. What next Dave the daily record? The vow? 

I have no problem with RT as such, just that article you posted on the IndyRef2 thread.

Funnily enough, i regularly get jibes from an Irish mate who saw i have the RT TV channel in my list of favourites (which i added to watch the Alex Salmond show). 

20 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Funnily enough, i regularly get jibes from an Irish mate who saw i have the RT TV channel in my list of favourites (which i added to watch the Alex Salmond show). 

Is that still going?

44 minutes ago, exile said:

So the week before #COP26 the Tory Govt is making it cheaper to fly within the UK - "obviously a pro-Union measure"

Credit where it’s due, Kuenssberg jumped right on that admission it was a political move. 

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Credit where it’s due, Kuenssberg jumped right on that admission it was a political move. 

Yes. 10 o clock News there implies it's (also) to help links between NI and rest of UK.

I stay not that far from the Hydro and all the road closures around here are an absolute ballache.  And to cap it all they've just closed off part of Dumbarton Road too!  Great Western Road is going to be gridlocked for the next 3 weeks.  All those cars sitting burning extra fuel will do wonders for the environment! 

29 minutes ago, chaff said:

The absolute epitome of gammon

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CVhu0WGg6Ym/?utm_medium=copy_link

What chance have you got with opinions like this being broadcast

Seen that, and the fall out afterwards. The guy did the right thing and just stay silent after that comment, which might have been the stupidest comment i've heard for w hile. Although to be fair it was all designed to get the guy raging and said as a rhetorical trick as opposed to trying to be factually accurate.

19 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Arnie knows: COP26: Arnold Schwarzenegger angered by world leaders' climate policies - BBC News

What a guy.

I wonder who are worse communicators - environmentalists or the scottish independance movement...

It's all about resistance to change. You see what happens in a workplace when something changes. Status quo is a thing cause of inertia being so high.

1 hour ago, phart said:

Seen that, and the fall out afterwards. The guy did the right thing and just stay silent after that comment, which might have been the stupidest comment i've heard for w hile. Although to be fair it was all designed to get the guy raging and said as a rhetorical trick as opposed to trying to be factually accurate.

It touches on an important issue. Using wood is only an environmentally friendly thing to do if trees are growing faster than we are chopping them down. That isn't the case at present. At least the young guy is using the wood to make things, rather than for fuel. I've met a few folk who think that installing a wood burner is a "green" thing to do because"it's a sustainable source of fuel". IMO burning wood isn't much better than burning oil and gas. Both of them are a huge waste of valuable resources.