COP26 - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

If I driveI  can leave my house at 8 am and be at my sisters house for a late lunch at 2ish.

I won't need to lug suitcases on and off a train three times, getting harrassed by the general public and avoiding the living hell that is London altogether

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The compulsory derisory redundancy offer will be the absolute minimum. Those employed for, say five years will get a payment equal to just over a month's wage packet up to someone who may have given all of their working life to the job who will get a payment of around perhaps ten month's wages (and I doubt they will get that). The only people these will appeal to are those nearing retirement age. For those in their 20s, 30s, 40's or early 50s with 5 to even 15 years service it will be a sum of money enough to support them between jobs but no more than that. Remember there will be no redundancy packages of large sums especially when you consider the number of redundancies.

On the sleeper Serco are looking to bring in a basic change to working terms and conditions that is unpalatible to staff so as to force them out and then they can bring in staff not in the union who they can treat how they want and give them far worse terms and they'd have no way of standing up to the company. Contemptible. I am staggered Transport Scotland are standing idly by allowing a Tory blue company wreck the franchise systematically. They are ripping the heart and soul out of it.

Thanks.  That does sound rubbish.  Compulsory redundancy offers are normally fairly generous too (although they're never made for altruistic reasons!).

Private industry always prefer non-unionised staff because they're easier to push around (as do the public sector, albeit they keep it quiet).  Is the sleeper service remaining in the private sector?  I understand ScotRail is being taken over by the SG next year.

They’re all full of shit anyway, completely pointless exercise. 

I happen to know of at least 1 company who is spending £25000 on electrical works this week to build an entertainment area for clients, which includes rest areas, bars, coffee areas and then in 2 weeks, guess what’s happening to all the material used that isn’t needed anymore……..

11 hours ago, scotlad said:

Remember that carbon capture facility we were told we'd get if we voted to stay in the UK?  Well...

Scotland misses out on first carbon capture and storage facility - BBC News

The SNP should go tonto about this.

"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" (John Lydon, 1978)

The Northern Powerhouse. Just as long as they don’t extend any power as far as Scotland.
Shock horror. Just another in a long list of lies. 

The issues for me are the worrying affects on climate. The trends coming from the climate models that have shown their predictive powers the last decade. How quickly international consensus and action can be harmonised into real reductions and how quickly can we mobolise innovation to invent or scale up mitigating technologies.

7 hours ago, thplinth said:

Check out the slightly longer version. Do you think she is enjoying being the centre of attention. Fucking cult stuff.

Christ.

I am really interested in green issues, I think more should be done by industries like fashion, who's carbon footprint is larger than airlines.

I never had an opinion about Greta thunberg, until I listened to her reading her book on BBC sounds.

I felt she came across as a know it all spoiled wee brat. 

Environmental issues have been around since I was at school in the late 70s early 80s. She's not the Messiah.

I remember a theatre group coming to my school in the early 80s to talk about acid rain. They played echo beach by martha and the muffins on repeat.

10 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

The Northern Powerhouse. Just as long as they don’t extend any power as far as Scotland.
Shock horror. Just another in a long list of lies. 

Aye, no doubt part of it is to keep their red/blue wall voters sweet. 

The story merited about 10 seconds on Reporting Scotland last night and the current Conservative MP for Moray - where the carbon capture facility was expected to be located - is keeping very quiet.

4 hours ago, chaff said:

Christ.

I am really interested in green issues, I think more should be done by industries like fashion, who's carbon footprint is larger than airlines.

I never had an opinion about Greta thunberg, until I listened to her reading her book on BBC sounds.

I felt she came across as a know it all spoiled wee brat. 

Environmental issues have been around since I was at school in the late 70s early 80s. She's not the Messiah.

I remember a theatre group coming to my school in the early 80s to talk about acid rain. They played echo beach by martha and the muffins on repeat.

Tune 👍

But aye, Greta Thunberg...I can't understand why everyone is making such a fuss about this lassie.  She isn't a professor or any kind of expert on climate change, she's a wean who has an intense intense interest in the subject - which is to her credit, she clearly genuinely wants to make a difference - but she's looked upon as some sort of authority, qualified to lecture world leaders.  It's nonsense.

And she cannae dance either.

20 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Let's remember that not that long ago* it was so hot in the arctic that crocodiles lived there. Everything is going to be ok. Or maybe we'll all get eaten by crocodiles soon I don't know.

*Ok it was 50million years ago, but still - its currently very cold for earth's standards. 

The problem isn't whether the Earth used to be hotter it's to do with habitat changes. Over half a billion people live in a habitat that has near term(relative) unviability due to rising sea levels. Food production in these areas will be lost, all the socio-economic factors when you have hundreds of millions of people migrating. Continuing resource wars. Countries affected first taking unilateral action including eco-terrorism etc.

Humans didn't exist nor their progenitors 50 million years ago. Hominids started about 6 million years ago.

The planet is 4.5 billion years old and has had life in one way or another for over 3 billion that's not the issue.  The Earth will be fine, life-wise for dozens of millions of years till the next periodic hit from the solar systems main asteroid belt. Then it's a toss up, but life has survived multiple hits so might be the sun that eventually wipes out life. Or the Vogons.

30 minutes ago, phart said:

The problem isn't whether the Earth used to be hotter it's to do with habitat changes. Over half a billion people live in a habitat that has near term(relative) unviability due to rising sea levels. Food production in these areas will be lost, all the socio-economic factors when you have hundreds of millions of people migrating. Continuing resource wars. Countries affected first taking unilateral action including eco-terrorism etc.

Humans didn't exist nor their progenitors 50 million years ago. Hominids started about 6 million years ago.

The planet is 4.5 billion years old and has had life in one way or another for over 3 billion that's not the issue.  The Earth will be fine, life-wise for dozens of millions of years till the next periodic hit from the solar systems main asteroid belt. Then it's a toss up, but life has survived multiple hits so might be the sun that eventually wipes out life. Or the Vogons.

Aye but all the shite you here is about saving planet earth, environmentalism etc etc - when you are right it's got fuck all to do with saving planet earth (she will be absolutely fine - and prefers it hotter) it's about saving humanity. And the polar bears tbf and to hell with the rest.

No cunt is thinking about the crocodiles. 

I'm only half joking. It is good to buy ourselves some time to invent some technologies to freeze the earth in a permanent cool state to maximise our species survival at the expense of others. And I am, if nothing else, a fan of man. 

But we need more honesty. It's all very stupid at the moment. 

12 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Aye but all the shite you here is about saving planet earth, environmentalism etc etc - when you are right it's got fuck all to do with saving planet earth (she will be absolutely fine - and prefers it hotter) it's about saving humanity. And the polar bears tbf and to hell with the rest.

No cunt is thinking about the crocodiles. 

I'm only half joking. It is good to buy ourselves some time to invent some technologies to freeze the earth in a permanent cool state to maximise our species survival at the expense of others. And I am, if nothing else, a fan of man. 

But we need more honesty. It's all very stupid at the moment. 

Do you think Greta Thunberg is a better climatologist than Joe Rogan is an immunologist?

Edited by phart

1 hour ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Any excuse for a bit of George...

On 10/20/2021 at 7:23 PM, scotlad said:

Aye, no doubt part of it is to keep their red/blue wall voters sweet. 

The story merited about 10 seconds on Reporting Scotland last night and the current Conservative MP for Moray - where the carbon capture facility was expected to be located - is keeping very quiet.

The lack focus on this from mainstream media is damning. . Barely a peep from the Unionist crazies in the Herald comments is very telling,   and the usual bickering about everything except the subject matter in the Scotsman. 
I agree with very little in this article , to say it has not been done for political reasons is utterly bizarre, but I do agree with the ‘Boy who cried Wolf ‘ comment. The SNP need to pick their battles and not constantly whine about everything and anything.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/columnists/snps-constant-claims-of-persecution-are-turning-scotland-into-boy-who-cried-wolf-brian-wilson-3429633