COP26 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

So COP26 coming to Glasgow... Johnson will be there, Biden and Obama apparently, President Xi Jinping 'unlikely', Nicola Sturgeon's participation depends on if Johnson invites her.

COP26 is supposed to be a "whole of the UK" affair, under control of UK govt. A Telegraph headline said Glasgow would be 'humiliated' on the world stage but the article seems to have been taken down.

It seems as if road closures will start coming into effect from next Saturday. Glasgow MSP Paul Sweeney criticises the government(s) for the disruption.

Cruise ships have sailed into Renfrewshire - 2 big cruise ships to berth at King George V dock to provide accommodation.

The summit comes as "The government is poised to publish its long-awaited net zero strategy on Monday, setting out how the UK will meet its targets to cut CO2 emissions by 78% by 2035 and reach net zero by 2050"

Greta Thunberg has criticised the event anticipating politicians won't do anything.  Elizabeth II "voiced similar concerns" according to wikipedia 😅

Edited by exile

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, exile said:

So COP26 coming to Glasgow... Johnson will be there, Biden and Obama apparently, President Xi Jinping 'unlikely', Nicola Sturgeon's participation depends on if Johnson invites her.

COP26 is supposed to be a "whole of the UK" affair, under control of UK govt. A Telegraph headline said Glasgow would be 'humiliated' on the world stage but the article seems to have been taken down.

It seems as if road closures will start coming into effect from next Saturday. Glasgow MSP Paul Sweeney criticises the government(s) for the disruption.

Cruise ships have sailed into Renfrewshire - 2 big cruise ships to berth at King George V dock to provide accommodation.

The summit comes as "The government is poised to publish its long-awaited net zero strategy on Monday, setting out how the UK will meet its targets to cut CO2 emissions by 78% by 2035 and reach net zero by 2050"

Greta Thunberg has criticised the event anticipating politicians won't do anything.  Elizabeth II "voiced similar concerns" according to wikipedia 😅

Apparently litter makes Prince George sad too (or something), so hopefully she'll spare her great-grandson a trip to Glasgow - if you can't stand litter, Glasgow isn't the place for you!

As well as road closures the RMT union has called a strike during the conference, meaning rail services will be massively disrupted.  I don't imagine that will have much effect on the conference itself but it will impact on other people trying to get from A to B.

I'd be surprised if Extinction Rebellion or Insulate Britain aren't planning something too.

22 minutes ago, phart said:

Queen wanted exempt from some green stuff did she not, seems like projection from her.

Chris Packham knocked on earlier in the week suggesting rewilding her land would be helpful 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2021/oct/09/chris-packham-asks-royal-family-to-commit-to-rewilding-estates

Instead seems to have taken the opportunity at the Welsh parliament to strategically profer a diversionary tut and point her finger at the politicians being all words with no action without media calling hypocrisy 🙄

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

Apparently litter makes Prince George sad too (or something), so hopefully she'll spare her great-grandson a trip to Glasgow - if you can't stand litter, Glasgow isn't the place for you!

As well as road closures the RMT union has called a strike during the conference, meaning rail services will be massively disrupted.  I don't imagine that will have much effect on the conference itself but it will impact on other people trying to get from A to B.

I'd be surprised if Extinction Rebellion or Insulate Britain aren't planning something too.

Apparently Insulate Britain have said they won’t be carrying out any actions which will inconvenience the people of Glasgow, unlike the RMT and the GMB (especially) who are only interested in making a political point against the Scottish Government and don’t care about the public or their members. 

14 hours ago, aaid said:

Apparently Insulate Britain have said they won’t be carrying out any actions which will inconvenience the people of Glasgow, unlike the RMT and the GMB (especially) who are only interested in making a political point against the Scottish Government and don’t care about the public or their members. 

Given the council blame everyone except themselves for the state of Glasgow nisy now then I dont blame them.

More interested in cycle lanes than making sure the city isn't a rat infested shitehole

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Wtf. Was there any sort of negative reaction to this ? Admittedly I am not an expert on all issues Green but I would have thought I would remember this if I had read about it. 

I remember reading about it at the time but I'd forgotten all about it until phart mentioned it. 

16 hours ago, aaid said:

I can say from first-hand personal experience that the RMT have been given no choice. The alternative being thousands of redundancies for ticket offices closures across Scotland and do not get me started on Tory blue Serco who run the Sleeper franchise.

31 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I remember reading about it at the time but I'd forgotten all about it until phart mentioned it. 

How anyone can defend the Royal Family in its current form is beyond me . Trying to ‘normalise’ themselves whilst at the same time using Queen’s consent to cherry pick opt outs as and when they feel fit. 

On 10/16/2021 at 10:15 PM, aaid said:

I have a lot of respect for workers standing up for their rights but in the case of GMB I can't help but think it's at least partially politically motivated.  This is the same union who decided to back the Better Together campaign in 2014 without consulting their members.

I am actually surprised either union was able to get a ballot for strike action passed, given the restrictions placed on balloting by the Tories.

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I have a lot of respect for workers standing up for their rights but in the case of GMB I can't help but think it's at least partially politically motivated.  This is the same union who decided to back the Better Together campaign in 2014 without consulting their members.

I am actually surprised either union was able to get a ballot for strike action passed, given the restrictions placed on balloting by the Tories.

Local organiser for Glasgow is Rhea Wolfson.  Former Labour NEC member and parliamentary candidate.

Richard Leonard was also full time organiser for the GMB for decades before becoming an MSP.

The GMB's hands are particularly dirty when it comes to the gender pay problems at GCC.

1 minute ago, scotlad said:

In this case it is not. ScotRail are actively seeking the dismissal/redundancy of all ticket office employees as they want to shut them all in return for the payrise. Sleeper staff it goes far, far deeper. No payrise since last year and Serco have been boasting of a £74 billion profit this year. Execs all got a pay rise/bonus in January of this year and since March pay rise has been refused to frontline staff. In fact they are citing a pay cut rather than rise with the latest offer of a paltry one-off payment of £300 (minus tax and NI deduction) and they are looking to cut back on payments for contract nights which equates to a cut in pay of around £1000. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Local organiser for Glasgow is Rhea Wolfson.  Former Labour NEC member and parliamentary candidate.

Richard Leonard was also full time organiser for the GMB for decades before becoming an MSP.

The GMB's hands are particularly dirty when it comes to the gender pay problems at GCC.

I believe Mrs Leonard is also involved in the TU at a high level.

The way they behaved over the gender pay row was terrible and they have a track record of stirring for party political reasons.  To be fair though, as regards this dispute, I don't know many of the ins and outs.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

In this case it is not. ScotRail are actively seeking the dismissal/redundancy of all ticket office employees as they want to shut them all in return for the payrise. Sleeper staff it goes far, far deeper. No payrise since last year and Serco have been boasting of a £74 billion profit this year. Execs all got a pay rise/bonus in January of this year and since March pay rise has been refused to frontline staff. In fact they are citing a pay cut rather than rise with the latest offer of a paltry one-off payment of £300 (minus tax and NI deduction) and they are looking to cut back on payments for contract nights which equates to a cut in pay of around £1000. 

I meant I was surprised they were able to meet the criteria of >50% of their membership voting in favour of industrial action (as opposed to simply >50% of those voting, like it used to be).  However, if what you are saying is accurate, then maybe it isn't so surprising!

Out of interest, is it a voluntary or compulsory redundancy package that is being put forward for ticket office employees?  I don't think scrapping them altogether is a good idea at all though.

I'm going to my sisters for Christmas this year.

I thought, instead of driving I'll look into the train, leave the car at home, be environmentally responsible. 

£396 one way and 3 changes 

6 hours

£396 back and 5 changes.

7.5 hours

I'll be putting £140 of diesel in the car and driving door to door.

Screenshot_20211018-163847.png

45 minutes ago, chaff said:

I thought, instead of driving I'll look into the train, leave the car at home, be environmentally responsible. 

6 hours

£396 back and 5 changes.

7.5 hours

You could always try back to back marathons 😉

That is a bloody disgrace how can they expect folk to use public transport with prices like that. I know its close to Christmas but you would expect extra trains to be put on, especially after last year when people were not allowed to travel, surely a high demand should be expected. 

51 minutes ago, chaff said:

6 hours

£396 back and 5 changes.

7.5 hours

Only £19 less than flights to Seattle I was looking at earlier! Bargain.

14 hours ago, scotlad said:

I believe Mrs Leonard is also involved in the TU at a high level.

The way they behaved over the gender pay row was terrible and they have a track record of stirring for party political reasons.  To be fair though, as regards this dispute, I don't know many of the ins and outs.

I meant I was surprised they were able to meet the criteria of >50% of their membership voting in favour of industrial action (as opposed to simply >50% of those voting, like it used to be).  However, if what you are saying is accurate, then maybe it isn't so surprising!

Out of interest, is it a voluntary or compulsory redundancy package that is being put forward for ticket office employees?  I don't think scrapping them altogether is a good idea at all though.

The compulsory derisory redundancy offer will be the absolute minimum. Those employed for, say five years will get a payment equal to just over a month's wage packet up to someone who may have given all of their working life to the job who will get a payment of around perhaps ten month's wages (and I doubt they will get that). The only people these will appeal to are those nearing retirement age. For those in their 20s, 30s, 40's or early 50s with 5 to even 15 years service it will be a sum of money enough to support them between jobs but no more than that. Remember there will be no redundancy packages of large sums especially when you consider the number of redundancies.

On the sleeper Serco are looking to bring in a basic change to working terms and conditions that is unpalatible to staff so as to force them out and then they can bring in staff not in the union who they can treat how they want and give them far worse terms and they'd have no way of standing up to the company. Contemptible. I am staggered Transport Scotland are standing idly by allowing a Tory blue company wreck the franchise systematically. They are ripping the heart and soul out of it.

2 hours ago, chaff said:

6 hours

£396 back and 5 changes.

7.5 hours

For £800 you could probably drive to Moscow and back. 😂

And yet these folk think they need a multi million pound conference with 25,000 attendees to work out what the problem is. 😉

3 hours ago, chaff said:

6 hours

£396 back and 5 changes.

7.5 hours

Schoolboy error Chaff - you can get that for £76.89 one way.  Leave Central at 8:36 and arrive at Temple Meads at 15:15.  Change at Carlisle, Crewe and Newport.   Plenty of seats available.

For a pound more you can leave at the same time, go direct to Euston, tube to Paddington, and direct to Bristol.  Technically one fewer change but it takes 19 minutes longer.

www.splitticketing.com

Edited by aaid

54 minutes ago, aaid said:

Schoolboy error Chaff - you can get that for £76.89 one way.  Leave Central at 8:36 and arrive at Temple Meads at 15:15.  Change at Carlisle, Crewe and Newport.   Plenty of seats available.

For a pound more you can leave at the same time, go direct to Euston, tube to Paddington, and direct to Bristol.  Technically one fewer change but it takes 19 minutes longer.

www.splitticketing.com

Driving to Moscow might be more fun though?