Tory MP killed - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tory MP killed

Will be interesting to hear to motive if the accused doesnt have serious mental health problems.

I was actually thinking just the other day that i wouldnt be surprised if MPs started to get targeted. There seems to be a clear and obvious position in politics at the minute where they arent even trying to hide the corruption and hypicriticalness.

Im not saying that this incident is linked at all but wouldnt surprise me if it was just some guy really down on his luck, mental health issues, depression etc, having benefits cut and see's the ruling class living it up and just snaps.

22 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Will be interesting to hear to motive if the accused doesnt have serious mental health problems.

I was actually thinking just the other day that i wouldnt be surprised if MPs started to get targeted. There seems to be a clear and obvious position in politics at the minute where they arent even trying to hide the corruption and hypicriticalness.

Im not saying that this incident is linked at all but wouldnt surprise me if it was just some guy really down on his luck, mental health issues, depression etc, having benefits cut and see's the ruling class living it up and just snaps.

The sad thing is, by all accounts David Amess was a hardworking constituency MP (unlike his boss, who went on holiday during the middle of a national crisis).

No one should be killed for simply doing their job, it's appalling.

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

The sad thing is, by all accounts David Amess was a hardworking constituency MP (unlike his boss, who went on holiday during the middle of a national crisis).

No one should be killed for simply doing their job, it's appalling.

It’s absolutely shocking but to be honest when do you ever hear people say anything other than good things about someone after they’ve died. 

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

It’s absolutely shocking but to be honest when do you ever hear people say anything other than good things about someone after they’ve died. 

His voting record in parliament would suggest he wasnt a good guy. Well not a good guy for the working class anyway.

4 hours ago, aaid said:

Aye, i was thinking the same.

I see that Labour aren't going to stand a candidate in the by-election.

Now, i know that the Tories did the same after Jo Cox's murder, but it does show up as nonsense the old adage/lie that we elect individuals, not parties.

14 hours ago, aaid said:

14 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

His voting record in parliament would suggest he wasnt a good guy. Well not a good guy for the working class anyway.

You cannot get away from voting records and they do tell you a bit about a persons character. 
However I received an email from my SNP MP, suspending leaflet distribution out of respect for David Amess. As has been mentioned, people rarely say anything bad about someone after their death but the email was extremely sympathetic and alludes to him being a good person  , this paragraph an example :

‘Today is about paying tribute to a thoroughly decent man struck down, in front of his staff, whilst doing his job and listening to constituents concerns. I didn't know David well, but it was clear from my dealings with him, and from colleagues testimony, that he was an absolute gentleman. A warm and dedicated politician of a different era to some of today's ilk.’ 

17 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

You cannot get away from voting records and they do tell you a bit about a persons character. 
However I received an email from my SNP MP, suspending leaflet distribution out of respect for David Amess. As has been mentioned, people rarely say anything bad about someone after their death but the email was extremely sympathetic and alludes to him being a good person  , this paragraph an example :

‘Today is about paying tribute to a thoroughly decent man struck down, in front of his staff, whilst doing his job and listening to constituents concerns. I didn't know David well, but it was clear from my dealings with him, and from colleagues testimony, that he was an absolute gentleman. A warm and dedicated politician of a different era to some of today's ilk.’ 

I wasn’t casting any aspersions, good or bad, about his character, I don’t know enough about him to do that.  More that people tend to not speak ill of the dead and so eulogies tend not to be the best assessment of someone. 

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

I wasn’t casting any aspersions, good or bad, about his character, I don’t know enough about him to do that.  More that people tend to not speak ill of the dead and so eulogies tend not to be the best assessment of someone. 

I didn’t think you were, I agree with you that you rarely hear bad things after someone’s death, at least not publicly.

I was just highlighting the words my MP used. He really could have used more generic wording in an email to SNP members but by personalising it makes me feel David Amess was respected across parties. 

Ive never heard of this MP before the tragedy happened.

There may be some good Tories out there, and there may be some who get into politics to make their constituents better off, and he may well be one of them. But from the little Ive paid attention to this story, he was reported as being in favour of animal welfare and christian values. Good for animals, not so much for a lassie wanting an abortion or the gay couple wanted to get married.

I don't think any 'famous' person has received anything other than glowing praise at their passing, well apart from Thatcher, that I can recall.

Errrm. The guy was murdered in cold blodd by a terrorist and folk are talking about his voting record, the working classes and how much of good guy / wank he was... WTF 😀. I am amazed Barney has not given you all a proper ticking off by now.  😀

On 10/16/2021 at 10:28 PM, aaid said:

That's true, but he spent his career on the backbenches rather than trying to climb the ladder, and even the fact he was holding a face-to-face constituency surgery - something which is beyond some elected parliamentarians, such as the former MSP for Edinburgh Central - is creditable.

On 10/16/2021 at 10:34 PM, Diamond Scot said:

Maybe in his own way he thought he was helping people.  Seemingly he was a devout Roman Catholic and (possibly as a consequence) very socially conservative in some of his views, but even so, no one deserves to die just for their opinions.

12 minutes ago, scotlad said:

That's true, but he spent his career on the backbenches rather than trying to climb the ladder, and even the fact he was holding a face-to-face constituency surgery - something which is beyond some elected parliamentarians, such as the former MSP for Edinburgh Central - is creditable.

Apparently she's on Panorama tonight going on about how much abuse she's had on social media.

Not saying she hasn't but I doubt she'll be being asked about her interactions with Brian Spanner.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Apparently she's on Panorama tonight going on about how much abuse she's had on social media.

Not saying she hasn't but I doubt she'll be being asked about her interactions with Brian Spanner.

Aw, FFS 🤦‍♂️  That's one to avoid - thanks for the heads up.

Aye, she quite possibly has, and that's not acceptable, but considering she wasn't held to account for her behaviour when she was in HR there's next to no chance of it happening now!

7 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Aw, FFS 🤦‍♂️  That's one to avoid - thanks for the heads up.

Aye, she quite possibly has, and that's not acceptable, but considering she wasn't held to account for her behaviour when she was in HR there's next to no chance of it happening now!

Well she was never likely to be attacked at a constituency surgery, that’s for sure.

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

Maybe in his own way he thought he was helping people.  Seemingly he was a devout Roman Catholic and (possibly as a consequence) very socially conservative in some of his views, but even so, no one deserves to die just for their opinions.

Nobody deserves to die for doing their job. Im just pointing out that its possible to hold that view but also think the guy wasnt a saint.