Forwards for November - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Forwards for November

daviebee

26 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Is Oliver Burke fit? 

2 starts all season. Same as McBurnie. Surely neither are anywhere near the manager’s thoughts.

What about Dembele at Peterborough? Supposedly playing well and regularly in the Championship. Of all the players not previously selected, he is playing at the highest level.

Or Gauld plays in a similar position to Christie. Creative with a goal threat.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Johnny Russell is banging them in. I always thought he should be a central striker rather than a wide player. He’s got great pace and strength and really seems to be on a roll. 

He is a player who I've often thought should have had a lot more caps for Scotland. Playing for unfashionable teams didn't help his cause.

49 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

He is a player who I've often thought should have had a lot more caps for Scotland. Playing for unfashionable teams didn't help his cause.

Normally playing for unfashionable teams for an entire career shows the level the player is operating at.

I always thought Russell had some talent but theres a reason he hasnt ever played at a high level, whether that be ability or consistency or probably a combination of the 2.

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

Normally playing for unfashionable teams for an entire career shows the level the player is operating at.

I always thought Russell had some talent but theres a reason he hasnt ever played at a high level, whether that be ability or consistency or probably a combination of the 2.

He is as good as, or better, than a lot of players we have had in that position over the past decade. Just never got too many chances to show what he could do, IMO. For example if he'd got as many consecutive games as McBurnie got he might have done OK? Maybe not. We'll never know now. IMO he has far, far more skill than McBurnie.

On 10/14/2021 at 11:03 AM, Dodger said:

It would mean going into the Moldova game with only 2 centre forwards available, both of whom might start the game. Doesn't leave us with many options if we get an injury/illness issue or if we're needing a goal with 20 minutes left. 

If there was someone knocking on the door then I've no doubt we would call up an extra forward. Unfortunately there's not though so it's a difficult decision for Clarke. 

What's for certain is that we desperately need Adams and Nisbet to be fit for Moldova. 

If we get injuries or call-offs then that will be when Shankland or McBurnie get called up. But when was the last time we named a squad and a striker has pulled out? Some time ago now. And no way on Earth is Clarke calling up an untried and untested and uncapped striker and drop him in to play one of the most important World Cup qualifying matches in over a decade.

22 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If we get injuries or call-offs then that will be when Shankland or McBurnie get called up. But when was the last time we named a squad and a striker has pulled out? Some time ago now. And no way on Earth is Clarke calling up an untried and untested and uncapped striker and drop him in to play one of the most important World Cup qualifying matches in over a decade.

I disagree and think Clarke would call up untried and untested over McBurnie. 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well at absolute most all he needs to select is one extra striker (I am still not convinced he will do that) and that will be Shankland but he would not be used.

Sarcasm? Shankland can't get a game for the team that is bottom of the Belgium league. not only bottom but bottom by a mile. 

25 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Exaggeration? He played a full 90 minutes yesterday and has now played four games for them - the same as Gilmour has played for Norwich.

I must be reading in the wrong places fair enough he started yesterday but up until then he hadn't played much more than 90 minutes since moving there.

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

He is as good as, or better, than a lot of players we have had in that position over the past decade. Just never got too many chances to show what he could do, IMO. For example if he'd got as many consecutive games as McBurnie got he might have done OK? Maybe not. We'll never know now. IMO he has far, far more skill than McBurnie.

I dont disagree as such however generally players are picked on merit. Without checking id guess that McBurnie scored more goals than Russell at Championship level then went onto play at a higher level so its hardly a surprise that he got picked before Russell.

Fans have a tendency to look at a player not doing well at International level and conclude that X player could do better because they are performing at a much lower level. Shankland being a prime example. Constant calls for him to get called up and start when he was banging them in for fun in the scottish championship but those calls have largely disappeared when he went to Scottish Prem and now abroad and has largely done hee haw.

13 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I dont disagree as such however generally players are picked on merit. Without checking id guess that McBurnie scored more goals than Russell at Championship level then went onto play at a higher level so its hardly a surprise that he got picked before Russell.

Fans have a tendency to look at a player not doing well at International level and conclude that X player could do better because they are performing at a much lower level. Shankland being a prime example. Constant calls for him to get called up and start when he was banging them in for fun in the scottish championship but those calls have largely disappeared when he went to Scottish Prem and now abroad and has largely done hee haw.

Just to get things straight I don't think Shankland will get called up for the next squad. It will (in my opinion) be Dykes, Adams, Nisbet, Fraser and Christie and that is it - barring injuries to any of those ruling them out. Any additional striker called up would play no part in the double header anyway.

Applying some context to the situation we are playing Moldova

• 180 in FIFA World ranking 
  • Won 1 and drawn 2 in last 14 games
  • Sitting bottom of our group
  • Conceded over 2.3 goals a game 
  • Scored 5 in the last 14 games

If Adams, Nisbett, Fraser, Turnbull, McGinn cant get the job done then we don't deserve the playoff place 

For me front 2 of Adams, Nisbett with McGinn in behind we should be fine, i know we labored to a 1-0 win at home but were good enough to cast these boys aside with no problem in a few weeks 

3 minutes ago, borojock said:

If Adams, Nisbett, Fraser, Turnbull, McGinn cant get the job done then we don't deserve the playoff place 

For me front 2 of Adams, Nisbett with McGinn in behind we should be fine, i know we labored to a 1-0 win at home but were good enough to cast these boys aside with no problem in a few weeks 

Spot on.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Just to get things straight I don't think Shankland will get called up for the next squad. It will (in my opinion) be Dykes, Adams, Nisbet, Fraser and Christie and that is it - barring injuries to any of those ruling them out. Any additional striker called up would play no part in the double header anyway.

Exactly this. Why disrupt the group dynamics with an outsider when they are almost certainly not going to play.

I am in favour of calling up a player to integrate them into the squad if Clarke genuinely sees them as being a potential regular e.g Gauld, Souttar etc.

However, calling up older players like Fleck, C.Paterson, Russell etc would be nothing more than making up the numbers (no disrespect, I like them all). Clarke showed with Greg Taylor's injury that he won't just replace a member of the squad needlessly.

3 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Exactly this. Why disrupt the group dynamics with an outsider when they are almost certainly not going to play.

I am in favour of calling up a player to integrate them into the squad if Clarke genuinely sees them as being a potential regular e.g Gauld, Souttar etc.

However, calling up older players like Fleck, C.Paterson, Russell etc would be nothing more than making up the numbers (no disrespect, I like them all). Clarke showed with Greg Taylor's injury that he won't just replace a member of the squad needlessly.

He actually showed there’s no point in having Greg Taylor at all

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 1:03 PM, Tartan blood said:

Tony Watt IMO deserves a call up on recent form but due to the fact he’s Tony Watt and the reasons you’ve mentioned I can’t see it. Brophy has been in excellent form as well, playing up front on his own but even through my black and white tinted glasses I couldn’t see him getting near the pitch if Dykes was fit.

13 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

Tony Watt IMO deserves a call up on recent form but due to the fact he’s Tony Watt and the reasons you’ve mentioned I can’t see it. Brophy has been in excellent form as well, playing up front on his own but even through my black and white tinted glasses I couldn’t see him getting near the pitch if Dykes was fit.

You're right, I do think Watt would need to prove more than some other names due to his history. But I'd never give up on him, or anyone.

Could he be both an early bloomer and a late bloomer? 😄

27 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

You're right, I do think Watt would need to prove more than some other names due to his history. But I'd never give up on him, or anyone.

Could he be both an early bloomer and a late bloomer? 😄

I’ve always been hopeful with Watt that he’d mature into a Scotland regular but it’s never happened for various reasons.

This is probably the most settled he’s been but it strikes me that his personality is the antithesis of what Clarke wants around the squad, that said if he continues his form he can’t be ignored. Particularly when Nisbet is so off form.

On 10/19/2021 at 11:45 AM, borojock said:

No doubt about it,we should horse them.Play with the correct formation and attitude and we will.Let's be honest though,would you be totally surprised if it was still 0-0 or worse going into the closing stages.I wouldn't.Fifty odd years of following Scotland has taught me that lesson.However,in saying that,i would be f..king raging if we don't win .No excuses accepted.

10 hours ago, Rab The Crab said:

Brophy was pretty useless on Saturday.Didn't get great service,but looked sort of lazy to me.

8 minutes ago, borojock said:

Correct me if im wrong but is the below not poor and lazy journalism from the bbc - asking if Nisbet or Christie should be picked for the Moldovan game when one of them is suspended 

Moldova v Scotland: Who can replace suspended Lyndon Dykes in World Cup qualifier? - BBC Sport 

I heard the bbc tell me that Adams was suspended for the Israel game less than an hour before he was named in the starting line up.