Forwards for November - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Forwards for November

daviebee

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, thelonehutch said:

I have every faith in Nisbet doing a job for us. He's a cracking player and his improvement over the last few seasons has been astounding. This season there is other things going on and Hibs have also been poor recently.

He will score, against Moldova, if called upon๐Ÿ‘ย 

His match fitness and general fitness will have dropped quite a bit due to no games or proper training due to the outbreak at Hibs. He won't have played a game in more than a couple of weeks by then and probably won't have proper training due to how depleted Hibs are.ย 

I'm not sure he will start tbh. I think it will be Adams and probably Fraser or the lad Brown.

40 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

His match fitness and general fitness will have dropped quite a bit due to no games or proper training due to the outbreak at Hibs. He won't have played a game in more than a couple of weeks by then and probably won't have proper training due to how depleted Hibs are.ย 

I'm not sure he will start tbh. I think it will be Adams and probably Fraser or the lad Brown.

Based on what? If Brown starts ahead of Adams, Nisbet or Fraser, it'll be a slap in the face to all of them. I can imagine the likes of Russell, Watt and Stewart will be feeling hard done by getting shunned for him, to be honest.

I have no problem with Brown being called upon, but there is no chance he's going straight into the first 11.

6 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Based on what? If Brown starts ahead of Adams, Nisbet or Fraser, it'll be a slap in the face to all of them. I can imagine the likes of Russell, Watt and Stewart will be feeling hard done by getting shunned for him, to be honest.

I have no problem with Brown being called upon, but there is no chance he's going straight into the first 11.

I just kind of through Browns name encase Fraser isn't fit.ย 

I think it will be Adams and Fraser starting against Moldova.

I would've personally called up Russell. Guy has taken his game up a level in the MLS and deserves a recall.

Converting chances is one of our major weaknesses and apart from Dykes none of the forwards named in the latest squad are scoring regularly.ย  The funny thing is, we actually have a few guys who are scoring regularly, albeit not at a very high level.ย 

I can understand Clarke wanting to maintain a sense of cohesion in the squad but it seems a bit counterintuitive to leave people out who might be capable of addressing this issue.

ย 

5 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Converting chances is one of our major weaknesses and apart from Dykes none of the forwards named in the latest squad are scoring regularly.ย  The funny thing is, we actually have a few guys who are scoring regularly, albeit not at a very high level.ย 

I can understand Clarke wanting to maintain a sense of cohesion in the squad but it seems a bit counterintuitive to leave people out who might be capable of addressing this issue.

ย 

Exactly why Russell ย should have been called up. He is the man in form and even if some people donโ€™t think the mLS standard is that high, itโ€™s Moldova we need to beat and heโ€™s playing far above the level of their players.ย 

7 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Exactly why Russell ย should have been called up. He is the man in form and even if some people donโ€™t think the mLS standard is that high, itโ€™s Moldova we need to beat and heโ€™s playing far above the level of their players.ย 

I'm with you there.ย  Pick the players best suited to take on the opposition.ย  With the right service I'd fancy Ross Stewart to score against Moldova too.

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I think being based in the US with all the travel complications is maybe why Gauld and Russell are not being mentioned; I wish the so-called reporters at the p.c. had asked him that.

That could well be the reason.ย  Canada or USA to Scotland, to Moldova, then back to Scotland again - those can't be the easiest of trips.

14 minutes ago, scotlad said:

ย 

If the defence does it job properly then Moldova shouldnโ€™t score against us. Allowing for our defence making an arse of themselves and conceding a goalย to one of the weakest teams in world football we should only need to score 2 goals to guarantee winning this game.ย 

We should create enough chances for our strikers and even the likes of McGinn or McGregor to get on the scoresheet.ย 

If everyone turns up and does their job properly we should win this game comfortably regardless of who plays up front.ย 

We certainly shouldnโ€™t have to resort to untested (at international level) players who are plying their trade in the third tier of English football just because they happen to have scored a few goals this season. The same goes for Tony Watt who is clearly not good enough to play for Scotland and we can certainly do without someone with his terrible attitude stinking up the camp.ย 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

If the defence does it job properly then Moldova shouldnโ€™t score against us. Allowing for our defence making an arse of themselves and conceding a goalย to one of the weakest teams in world football we should only need to score 2 goals to guarantee winning this game.ย 

We should create enough chances for our strikers and even the likes of McGinn or McGregor to get on the scoresheet.ย 

If everyone turns up and does their job properly we should win this game comfortably regardless of who plays up front.ย 

We certainly shouldnโ€™t have to resort to untested (at international level) players who are plying their trade in the third tier of English football just because they happen to have scored a few goals this season. The same goes for Tony Watt who is clearly not good enough to play for Scotland and we can certainly do without someone with his terrible attitude stinking up the camp.ย 

Hopefully you are right.

Ideally we'd be picking someone plying his trade and scoring regularly in the first tier of English football, but we are where we are.ย  Remember, it is Moldova we are playing - I'd back an inform striker playing at a slightly lower level to score against them as much or more than an out of form striker playing at higher level.

As for Tony Watt, he could have accomplished so much more in his career to date if his attitude had been a bit better but his form this season suggests he might finally have screwed the nut.

50 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I think being based in the US with all the travel complications is maybe why Gauld and Russell are not being mentioned; I wish the so-called reporters at the p.c. had asked him that.

It might be a personal thing that Clarke doesn't want to bring players all the way from the US due to the travel time and resulting jet lag from it. I'm sure the US is green list.

There are also plenty of Internationalists from around Europe in the MLS, that travel fine during international breaks. There is also plenty of UK and Europe based players that travel to US and Canada for internationals aswell.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Hopefully you are right.

Ideally we'd be picking someone plying his trade and scoring regularly in the first tier of English football, but we are where we are.ย  Remember, it is Moldova we are playing - I'd back an inform striker playing at a slightly lower level to score against them as much or more than an out of form striker playing at higher level.

As for Tony Watt, he could have accomplished so much more in his career to date if his attitude had been a bit better but his form this season suggests he might finally have screwed the nut.

This is international football weโ€™re talking about here. Even though we are playing Moldova next Friday we are playing one of the best teams in the world 3 days later.ย 

We shouldnโ€™t be handing out caps like smarties to people who have scored a few goals against the likes of Doncaster and Crewe Alexandra.ย 

Iโ€™ve stopped holding my breath waiting on Watt. His attitude didnโ€™t look great against Rangers the other day.ย 

Remember we laboured against Moldova at home after the first goal and that was with Dykes, Nisbet, Christie and McGinn all playing for the first hour. It was really Patterson that created the goal also and not the forward players. We then brought on Adams for the lastย  30mins and still did not manage another goal. So to think that without Dykes and Christie away from home we are going to create and score more?? Bringing in a fresh face to the squad should hopefully push the existing squad to a better performance but if they are not scoring then putting Brown on should definitely be an option.

Brazil, Argentina etc regularly call up players from Portugal to Russia. Getting guys on a flight from Canada or the USA isn't exactly challenging. Russell an Gauld are both playing well and deserve a call up IMO, however we go for some guy from Stoke.

Any chance we can all just stop moaning about Jacob Brown and support the lad ?

He's with us now, get over it.

According to Clarke, the lad was "buzzing" to be called up and genuinely keen to play for Scotland. A few Scots born and raised players in recent years have unfortunately not shown such enthusiasm.

I really hope Jacob Brown plays and scores. That will upset a few people.

5 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

According to Clarke, the lad was "buzzing" to be called up and genuinely keen to play for Scotland. A few Scots born and raised players in recent years have unfortunately not shown such enthusiasm.

Don't think anyones moaning, it's just a surprise to see a guy that i never even knew was eligible for us being picked. It's also a surprise as hes not exactly scored alot of goals in his career, even if he was scottish born and bred I wouldn't have expected clarke to pick him going by his career so far.ย 

End of the day I hope he does well for us and scores loads of goals.ย 

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Iโ€™m sure the vast majority would be delighted if this happens.ย 

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Whoโ€™s going to be upset if he scores?

If heโ€™s picked and scores then great.ย 

The reason people are questioning his selection and a couple of others is because players on form whoโ€™ve been on form for prolonged time periods such as Ralston & Gauld are being overlooked while players who have been out of form or not playing for their clubs for prolonged time periods have been selected again.

The argument that Steve Clarke is standing by players he knows etc then goes out the window when someone is plucked from relative obscurity into the squad like Brown.ย 

18 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Whoโ€™s going to be upset if he scores?

If heโ€™s picked and scores then great.ย 

The reason people are questioning his selection and a couple of others is because players on form whoโ€™ve been on form for prolonged time periods such as Ralston & Gauld are being overlooked while players who have been out of form or not playing for their clubs for prolonged time periods have been selected again.

The argument that Steve Clarke is standing by players he knows etc then goes out the window when someone is plucked from relative obscurity into the squad like Brown.ย 

Surely the only reason Brown is in is for injury cover though with Dykes being out for Moldova so I can understand Clarke selecting a new striker.ย 

If Adams and/or Nisbet withdraw after the weekend weโ€™d be in all sorts of trouble of Clarke hadnโ€™t picked another centre forward.ย 

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Surely the only reason Brown is in is for injury cover though with Dykes being out for Moldova so I can understand Clarke selecting a new striker.ย 

If Adams and/or Nisbet withdraw after the weekend weโ€™d be in all sorts of trouble of Clarke hadnโ€™t picked another centre forward.ย 

As I see it we will start with Adams and Fraser up front V Moldova and if we get to squeaky bum time then Nisbet will get introduced.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

As I see it we will start with Adams and Fraser up front V Moldova and if we get to squeaky bum time then Nisbet will get introduced.

Yeah Iโ€™d be surprised if that doesnโ€™t happen. Letโ€™s hope Adams and Fraser make it through the weekend unscathed.ย 

If we are comfortable with 20 minutes to go (please let this be the case) then Clarke can stick Brown on for a cameo although Nisbet certainly deserves a chance for some minutes first.ย 

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Just a thought now as Eddie Howe looks odds-on for the Newcastle job I wonder where that will leave Fraser given the circumstances he left Bournemouth whilst Howe was manager there?

Howe will likely consider the job for months then reject it. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Will certainly be interesting if he does take it though. If things were that bad between them at Bournemouth then Fraser will be sold ย I expect.ย 

18 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

This is international football weโ€™re talking about here. Even though we are playing Moldova next Friday we are playing one of the best teams in the world 3 days later.ย 

We shouldnโ€™t be handing out caps like smarties to people who have scored a few goals against the likes of Doncaster and Crewe Alexandra.ย 

Iโ€™ve stopped holding my breath waiting on Watt. His attitude didnโ€™t look great against Rangers the other day.ย 

Normally I'd agree with that but are Doncaster and Crewe worse sides than Milsami Orhei, Tuzlaspor and Petrocub Hincesti?ย  Because next Friday he'd be up against players who play for those teams.ย 

Maybe those teams are better than Doncaster and Crewe, I honestly don't know, in which case, fair enough.ย  I just feel that in the absence of Dykes, Stewart might have given us another option.

ย 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Just a thought now as Eddie Howe looks odds-on for the Newcastle job I wonder where that will leave Fraser given the circumstances he left Bournemouth whilst Howe was manager there?

It'll either be great news for Fraser - because he played his best football so far under Eddie Howe - or terrible news, depending on how personally Howe took Fraser's decision not to re-sign for Bournemouth.

I suspect Fraser possibly paid too much attention to his agent.ย