Forwards for November - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Forwards for November

daviebee

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Like I said the other day international football is far different from even two or three years ago with the creation of the Nations League. That tournament has virtually eradicated friendlies which were pretty commonplace in international football and matches that were used to have good long looks at your Tony Watts and Jacob Browns of this world. Now those type of players chances are limited further. The risk just cannot be taken in key qualifiers unless the team is in cruise control in a match. 

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Clarke capped Brown over these two matches. Infact it would surprise me if he didn’t. 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Clarke capped Brown over these two matches. Infact it would surprise me if he didn’t. 

Aye throw him on if we are 4-0 up in Moldova (or 0-4 down to Denmark ☹️).

Might as well see what he can offer but I don’t think we’re in danger of losing him to England or anywhere else so I don’t think there’s any need to give him a cap for the sake of it if both games are tight. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Aye throw him on if we are 4-0 up in Moldova (or 0-4 down to Denmark ☹️).

Might as well see what he can offer but I don’t think we’re in danger of losing him to England or anywhere else so I don’t think there’s any need to give him a cap for the sake of it if both games are tight. 

He's an odd one. Only 4 goals for Stoke. Watt has more. I do think it must be partly for Clarke to get a close up look at him and also tie him down to us. He is only 23, so bags of time and potential. Barring injury/covid crisis, there is no way he'll start either game.

Edited by Tartan blood

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

He's an odd one. Only 4 goals for Stoke. Watt has more. I do think it must be partly for Clarke to get a close up look at him and also tie him down to us. He is only 22, so bags of time and potential. Barring injury/covid crisis, there is no way he'll start either game.

Aye there’s no way he’ll start either game unless something drastic happens. I doubt he’d even be in the squad at all if Dykes and Christie weren’t suspended for the first game.

Lets hope we are winning comfortably in Moldova with 10 minutes to go to give him a wee run out. 

29 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

He's an odd one. Only 4 goals for Stoke. Watt has more. I do think it must be partly for Clarke to get a close up look at him and also tie him down to us. He is only 23, so bags of time and potential. Barring injury/covid crisis, there is no way he'll start either game.

Aye he’s not in for his goals record! To be fair to Clarke he’s not going to pick someone without doing his homework and he obviously sees something that would contribute to the team. Seems his main attributes are pace, hard work and strength, not the most exciting write up I’ve ever heard in fairness! Good luck to the boy, hope he gets a chance at some point and plays well.

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Actually, Steve Clarke said in his press conference today that Jacob Brown has been known to the SFA for a couple of years and was on the verge of an U21 call up when the pandemic broke out.

Good, shows he isn't just a "no good enough for England" and waiting to his mid 20s before choosing us.

Hopefully stops a few of the people greeting about him being English.

50 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Good, shows he isn't just a "no good enough for England" and waiting to his mid 20s before choosing us.

But he will still be capped over these two games on a your not English anymore basis . I get that but I still don’t agree with it.

the random of the month used to happen under previous management but I still don’t want it regularly again 

Wonder if he considered Siriki Dembele, 4 goals in the championship too as a winger/striker. Has a wee Scottish accent too if that pleases anyone. 

Got a feeling he’s more confident that Brown can fit in the 352, and has the work rate required for Clarke’s system rather than being of a higher quality than Dembele, Russell, Ross Stewart, Watt etc. 

39 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Wonder if he considered Siriki Dembele, 4 goals in the championship too as a winger/striker. Has a wee Scottish accent too if that pleases anyone. 

Got a feeling he’s more confident that Brown can fit in the 352, and has the work rate required for Clarke’s system rather than being of a higher quality than Dembele, Russell, Ross Stewart, Watt etc. 

Dembele's best game last season came with him playing upfront in a 5-3-2. That was league 1 though.

It will be interesting to see where Dembele ends up at the end of the season. I can see Rangers or Celtic taking a punt on him on a bosman.

10 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

His first choice would probably still be England, same as Adams and countless others who have played for us. Not that it bothers me much, we have always had guys whos first choice was England. 

Not sure I am keen on this guy, hes 23 and he's never scored much at lower league level in England. Surely trying to get karlan grant or Harvey barnes might have been a better option unless they don't want to play which might be the case tbf. 

57 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Surely trying to get karlan grant or Harvey barnes might have been a better option unless they don't want to play which might be the case tbf. 

Well Clarke watched Grant at last WBA game and I'd say a fair chance he asked him and he said no or else why go to a random game. As for Barnes he is 'English through and through' and that comes from someone who knows him far better than anyone on the TAMB - his dad.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well Clarke watched Grant at last WBA game and I'd say a fair chance he asked him and he said no or else why go to a random game. As for Barnes he is 'English through and through' and that comes from someone who knows him far better than anyone on the TAMB - his dad.

Probably there to watch him play, whether he asked him or not is hard to tell. 

Che adams and countless others who have played for us would class themselves english "through and through". Theres only one reason someone like Harvey barnes or che adams picks us and its because they know they won't make it with England.

If you can accept Adams, morrison, Ritchie etc playing for us then barnes should be no different. 

17 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Probably there to watch him play, whether he asked him or not is hard to tell. 

Che adams and countless others who have played for us would class themselves english "through and through". Theres only one reason someone like Harvey barnes or che adams picks us and its because they know they won't make it with England.

If you can accept Adams, morrison, Ritchie etc playing for us then barnes should be no different. 

We have not heard the description 'English through and through' used about Adams, Morrison, Ritchie etc etc. prior to, and amidst their Scotland careers. That helps. The damage to us calling up players (Barnes) described as 'English through and through' not only does harm to the credibility of international football but takes our scavaging for other nation's players to new depths and one I hope we always avoid.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

52 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We have not heard the description 'English through and through' used about Adams, Morrison, Ritchie etc etc. prior to, and amidst their Scotland careers. That helps. The damage to us calling up players (Barnes) described as 'English through and through' not only does harm to the credibility of international football but takes our scavaging for other nation's players to new depths and one I hope we always avoid.

The credibility of international football is always going to be harmed while the grandparent rule is in place. Until they get rid of it we will just have to accept it and use it to our benefit. 

Fact is guys like Adams, Barnes, grant will consider themselves english and will be proud of it. We are second choice for these guys and they all dreamed of playing for england. 

If you can accept adams, Ritchie, morrison, quashie etc then why is Barnes any different?

15 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

The credibility of international football is always going to be harmed while the grandparent rule is in place. Until they get rid of it we will just have to accept it and use it to our benefit. 

Fact is guys like Adams, Barnes, grant will consider themselves english and will be proud of it. We are second choice for these guys and they all dreamed of playing for england. 

If you can accept adams, Ritchie, morrison, quashie etc then why is Barnes any different?

Just because the grandparent rule is in place it means it is accepted by football associations around the world. It does not mean I have to accept or like it.

And as I said on the previous post Barnes is the first connected with Scotland to be described as 'English through and through' by someone as close to probably anyone else in the world - his dad. That is why Barnes is different from your Adams, Ritchie, Morrison, Quashie etc etc. If you aren't unhappy that someone stating his devotion for out biggest rivals then potentially being selected for us then I am flabbergasted.

And those that are dual nationality they may have the choice of what country to represent but on top of that we can never know if they are 100% dedicated to the cause due to conflicts of interest which is something all fans want from players at all levels of football.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You might be right.

Or he could have watched Grant and Brown and decided he preferred Brown. West Brom got pumped 3-0 in the game Clarke was at. I didn’t see it myself but there’s a decent chance that Grant didn’t make much of an impression in the match.

All speculation of course!

Edited by breeks_mctavish

20 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

You might be right.

Or he could have watched Grant and Brown and decided he preferred Brown. West Brom got pumped 3-0 in the game Clarke was at. I didn’t see it myself but there’s a decent chance that Grant didn’t make much of an impression in the match.

West broms last game(which clarke was at) was against fulham where they got pumped three nil.

Either way grant probably didn't have a great game but he would still be a better option than Jacob brown imo. 

1 hour ago, breeks_mctavish said:

You might be right.

Probably more the case. According to a WBA season ticket holder Grant is not a great tackler, doesn't win headers, can't hold up that well, pass or get past players so all round game is suspect. Looks like Brown is better all round and has been looked at for a couple of years. Scoring goals is still a good trait though but maybe might not get the same chances at international level.

58 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Probably more the case. According to a WBA season ticket holder Grant is not a great tackler, doesn't win headers, can't hold up that well, pass or get past players so all round game is suspect. Looks like Brown is better all round and has been looked at for a couple of years. Scoring goals is still a good trait though but maybe might not get the same chances at international level.

Yeh i think it could just be down to current form that he went with Brown over Grant. If Grant who seems a more natural finisher form picks up & he doesn't make future squads it could be that he knocked Clarke back, very much doubt that though.

Having read about both of them on their club forums neither excite me too much though we will give the lad a chance. He seems to have improved a lot this season but does sound like a poor man's Che Adams. 

I'm not keen on the grandparent rule either but while it's in place we must take full advantage like every other nation does so if Harvey Barnes was to tell his dad to belt up & come running to us I'd be delighted to have him as he has the quality to make a difference. 

1 hour ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Goalscorers are what we lack tbf and grant is proven at English championship level. Alot of sides we play at international level are quite poor as well, he might be someone who can make the difference in those games and get our goal tallys up, maybe make games like the faroes less stressful. This guy brown doesn't seem like a goalscorer, more a hardworking player who does the donkey work, not really what we need imo. Saying that I will be happy to see him do well in a scotland shirt.