The Faroe Islands V Scotland - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Faroe Islands V Scotland

Caledonian Craig

4 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

The game reminded me of one of the old firm playing Livingston away on an artificial pitch on a horrible night.

Credit to the team for pulling through with 3 points which was all that we should care about here.

Big shout out to Lyndon Dykes who is one of the more effective Scotland strikers in my lifetime and Nathan Patterson who created the winners against Moldova and the Faroes over the last month in crucial 1-0 wins.

Yep., I think Patterson's done enough now to make him first pick for the Scotland jersey. The only caveate to that is that he also needs to do the same at club level.

Also, I don't want it to go unmentioned.. For a country of the size of the Faroe Islands, I'm hugely impressed by the quality of their team. We could have been better for sure, but nobody's putting cricket scores past them. I thought the ref was really good today, but maybe it's easy when you have two teams not looking to cheat at every opportunity.

The Faroes took sporting integrity to a new level when we kicked the ball out because McT was injured in the final minute of stoppage time, and then they gave the ball back to us on the throw. If I was up front for the Faroes I'd have been raging at that, but credit to them.

Edited by COLT NY

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

This all day.

Gilmour did not have a good second half as the performance went through the phases from up-the-tempo to anxiety to uber-anxiety. Normal in these circumstances.

Coincidentally, the player who stood up more and more during those same phases was Scott McTominay.

And a major shout to Grant Hanley for that clearance in the middle of the box after c75 minutes when there were three opponents available to take advantage.

That was crucial to this victory.

Gilmour was brilliant in the second half apart from when tired near the end. 

12 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

When have we had the rub of the green, we dominated that second half and had loads of shots and a few decent chances. Same with the Israel game the other night. We have fought hard to the end of both games and deserved our victories. 

Only gripe I have is we don't score enough goals, we should be converting more of the chances we create. 

We've been fortunate that we've not been punished more after playing so poorly - particularly in the way we're starting games (Denmark/Israel/Faroes). Better, clear-cut chances come about with an overall better performance but we very often seem to start games badly often going behind and having to then pull out all the stops to try and get a winner or salvage a draw. I would argue that while we deserved the win v Israel, the Faroes were very unfortunate not to get anything from last nights game.

It could be that we are set up on the basis of being defensive and trying to ensure we don't lose goals. During Clarke's reign we have done that and are in a much better place as a result. However, now we have an established formation and set-up it just puzzles me how often we start badly and have to work harder to get back into the game and get a result. Hopefully that will come with the overall momentum we have built up.

Thought we were dodgy at the back against Israel because Hanley was out, Hendry moved into the middle and McTominay was moved to the back three. Thought that Hanley being back against Faroes would have settled everything down but we were just as bad, in the first half at least. We couldn’t seem to deal with straightforward punts down the middle and should have been a couple of goals down at half time. If we come up against better teams in the play offs we won’t get away with suicidal defending like that. Not sure what the problem is, was thinking maybe we need a defensive coach but then Clarke was a defender….

13 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Thought we were dodgy at the back against Israel because Hanley was out, Hendry moved into the middle and McTominay was moved to the back three. Thought that Hanley being back against Faroes would have settled everything down but we were just as bad, in the first half at least. We couldn’t seem to deal with straightforward punts down the middle and should have been a couple of goals down at half time. If we come up against better teams in the play offs we won’t get away with suicidal defending like that. Not sure what the problem is, was thinking maybe we need a defensive coach but then Clarke was a defender….

Quite. Sometimes having your best team on paper does not always translate into your best performance on the field. For example, last night Engerlund had their fans first eleven out (well, the front six anyway)and they also apparently turned in an abject performance.

Biggest disappointment for me was McTom. Can now understand why ManU fans don't take to him. I wojuld prefer Turnbull in his slot v Moldova  - at least he is fairly accurate in his long passing and he would probably have scored with that free kick that McTom wasted.

20 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Quite. Sometimes having your best team on paper does not always translate into your best performance on the field. For example, last night Engerlund had their fans first eleven out (well, the front six anyway)and they also apparently turned in an abject performance.

Biggest disappointment for me was McTom. Can now understand why ManU fans don't take to him. I wojuld prefer Turnbull in his slot v Moldova  - at least he is fairly accurate in his long passing and he would probably have scored with that free kick that McTom wasted.

I think you are seriously overestimating Turnbull’s dead ball skills here. He may well have scored but “probably” is a wild exaggeration. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I think you are seriously overestimating Turnbull’s dead ball skills here. He may well have scored but “probably” is a wild exaggeration. 

Celtic fans will have seen him score from a similar range and distance. At any rate, McTominay has no form whatsoever with free kicks. In fact, I see precious little evidence that we have worked on free kicks or set pieces per se.

9 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Celtic fans will have seen him score from a similar range and distance. At any rate, McTominay has no form whatsoever with free kicks. In fact, I see precious little evidence that we have worked on free kicks or set pieces per se.

Aye he does score free kicks but not with such regularity that he would probably have scored the one last night. Even Beckham would have struggled with that one. Too far out and too central. 

I wouldn’t be against Turnbull starting in Moldova btw. My comment was about that free kick alone and not what I think of Turnbull. I have absolutely no idea why McTominay takes our dangerous free kicks. He’s not exactly good at them. 

And don’t call me Percy. 😂

33 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Aye he does score free kicks but not with such regularity that he would probably have scored the one last night. Even Beckham would have struggled with that one. Too far out and too central. 

I wouldn’t be against Turnbull starting in Moldova btw. My comment was about that free kick alone and not what I think of Turnbull. I have absolutely no idea why McTominay takes our dangerous free kicks. He’s not exactly good at them. 

And don’t call me Percy. 😂

I had to think about that one!🤣

15 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I don't think he's a starter for us which is mad considering he's a starter for man utd. I guess his role in the United team can be allowed due to the other brilliant players they have but for us it's a case of mcgregor being first choice due to his ability to make us tick and play well. 

Our best midfield is mcgregor Gilmour mcginn. I still think mctominays a good player and deserves chances with us but he needs to start putting in some better performances if he's going to be first pick unless it's at centre back again which I think hes done OK at tbf. 

I'm with you there. Gilmour and McGregor seem to complement each other better than Gilmour and McTominay.

For long spells last night I felt Gilmour was doing a lot of the donkey work in midfield, which isn't a position you want him to be in. Ideally he's the guy you're passing the ball to so he can create something, not the guy doing the fetching and carrying.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

If you think that's bad you should see some of the things Celtic fans have been saying about Turnbull this season.  😂

Seriously though, I agree with you. Turnbull's deadball delivery is always excellent whenever I've seen him and it's not hard to imagine him doing better with that free-kick than McTominay.

3 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

One of the problems is that some folk think Hanley has somehow turned into Beckenbauer. He might be the best we've got, but the standard of out center backs is still very low.  

15 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

One of the problems is that some folk think Hanley has somehow turned into Beckenbauer. He might be the best we've got, but the standard of out center backs is still very low.  

Is it? 

We’ve a few starters at EPL clubs and a Champions League CB in Hendry. There’s also the likes of Souttar waiting for his chance - it’s a lot better than it has been for quite some time really. 

Hanley was exceptionally good at the Euros & has shown he can add to his game and makes a lot less errors than he used to. 

52 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I'd say our best back 3 is Hendry - Hanley - Tierney.  That's 2 EPL players and a CL one.  We'd have killed for that just 2 or 3 years ago.

14 minutes ago, daviebee said:

I'd say our best back 3 is Hendry - Hanley - Tierney.  That's 2 EPL players and a CL one.  We'd have killed for that just 2 or 3 years ago.

Doesn't matter which clubs they play for if they continually leak goals when they play for Scotland. 

At EPL level we have Liam Cooper and Grant Hanley, who has been poor for Norwich so far this season (mind you, who hasn't?). Jack Hendry has improved and it's good to see him playing for a club in the Champions League.

Apart from that though you're looking at SPFL and Championship players, so while we're in a better place than we were 2 or 3 years ago I think it's fair to say it's still an area of weakness.

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Doesn't matter which clubs they play for if they continually leak goals when they play for Scotland. 

That back 3 never has though as far as I'm aware.  Not so long ago we had the McKenna - Bates partnership and couldn't see how we could move to a back 3 as we didn't have anyone else!

23 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Correct. And the 2 most likely backups, Cooper and McTominay, are EPL players as well. If we wanted to, we could have all 10 outfield players from the EPL. That is a good problem to have. Imagine offering that to us in, say, 2011. Back then we'd have struggled for more than 2 or 3.

Edited by Tartan blood

12 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Correct. And the 2 most likely backups, Cooper and McTominay, are EPL players as well. If we wanted to, we could have all 10 outfield players from the EPL. That is a good problem to have. Imagine offering that to us in, say, 2011. Back then we'd have struggled for more than 2 or 3.

👍

52 minutes ago, scotlad said:

At EPL level we have Liam Cooper and Grant Hanley, who has been poor for Norwich so far this season (mind you, who hasn't?). Jack Hendry has improved and it's good to see him playing for a club in the Champions League.

Apart from that though you're looking at SPFL and Championship players, so while we're in a better place than we were 2 or 3 years ago I think it's fair to say it's still an area of weakness.

All of our areas are an area of weakness apart from left back and Clarke chooses to play without one of those. 

13 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Being an EPL player is no sign of quality, and doesn't guarantee that you will be good at international level. Theres an absolute litany of complete donkeys who play in the bestest league in the world, but are crap.

No that’s true, but it probably should be a sign that you’re comfortably better than someone who plays for Dundalk, Dukla Pumpherston or delivers the papers in downtown Torshavn. 

25 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Being an EPL player is no sign of quality, and doesn't guarantee that you will be good at international level. Theres an absolute litany of complete donkeys who play in the bestest league in the world, but are crap.

Exactly, this obsession with the EPL is ridiculous. McTominay plays in the EPL every week but every single Faroes midfielder played better than him last night. They might all play in the EPL as well, for all know, right enough?