The Faroe Islands V Scotland - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Faroe Islands V Scotland

Caledonian Craig

They say watching Scotland takes years off you, but after that I feel like an octogenarian.

Torture doesn’t cover it, but but......another 3 points. We just seem to have the knack of pulling a result out the bag when we need it

We were a lot better second half. But we need to be at it from the off. Two games in a row we have not been at the races in the first half

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, exile said:

However badly we played, it always feels as if we could come up with something and nick one. It wasn't always this way.

Dykes has taken some criticism recently but he seems to have a knack of getting goals from half chances and unlikely situations. I think he deserves big credit and he has gotten us out of a hole twice this international break. 

2 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

They say watching Scotland takes years off you, but after that I feel like an octogenarian.

Torture doesn’t cover it, but but......another 3 points. We just seem to have the knack of pulling a result out the bag when we need it

We were a lot better second half. But we need to be at it from the off. Two games in a row we have not been at the races in the first half

Yeh especially our first half tonight, considering its the faroes we should be dominating from the very start. Israel are actually half decent so I ain't so pissed off about that first half performance. 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Dykes has taken some criticism recently but he seems to have a knack of getting goals from half chances and unlikely situations. I think he deserves big credit and he has gotten us out of a hole twice this international break. 

Considering he has scored the winning goal in 3 of our last 4 games and also scored in the other one I think he deserves a lot of praise. He’s frustrating at times but if he keeps up his scoring record then he could end up being one of our all time top goal scorers in a few years. 

A few short years ago that would've resulted in a draw or a defeat so I suppose we have to be happy/relieved.  It WAS dire though.  Lost count of the times we overhit what seemed to be simple passes.

McTominay really needs to get the finger out and put in a performance for us.

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Considering he has scored the winning goal in 3 of our last 4 games and also scored in the other one I think he deserves a lot of praise. He’s frustrating at times but if he keeps up his scoring record then he could end up being one of our all time top goal scorers in a few years. 

Personally I like him alot, hes more than just a big lump as well imo. We would all like some brilliant world class striker to come along but Dykes has come up with the goods in this campaign and thats all we can ask for. Guys been priceless and I am happy for him. 

4 minutes ago, daviebee said:

A few short years ago that would've resulted in a draw or a defeat so I suppose we have to be happy/relieved.  It WAS dire though.  Lost count of the times we overhit what seemed to be simple passes.

McTominay really needs to get the finger out and put in a performance for us.

I don't think he's a starter for us which is mad considering he's a starter for man utd. I guess his role in the United team can be allowed due to the other brilliant players they have but for us it's a case of mcgregor being first choice due to his ability to make us tick and play well. 

Our best midfield is mcgregor Gilmour mcginn. I still think mctominays a good player and deserves chances with us but he needs to start putting in some better performances if he's going to be first pick unless it's at centre back again which I think hes done OK at tbf. 

56 minutes ago, exile said:

Yes, I'm saying apart from all the things he and all the players did not so well, he did well.

Aye don’t get me wrong, he was one of our better players. Probably our best outfield player in fact at least of the starting 11. 

Edited by Texas Pete

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I don't think he's a starter for us which is mad considering he's a starter for man utd. I guess his role in the United team can be allowed due to the other brilliant players they have but for us it's a case of mcgregor being first choice due to his ability to make us tick and play well. 

Our best midfield is mcgregor Gilmour mcginn. I still think mctominays a good player and deserves chances with us but he needs to start putting in some better performances if he's going to be first pick unless it's at centre back again which I think hes done OK at tbf. 

From the last couple of games it's been notable that Mctominay seems to impress in the last 20 minutes. When the opposition are tiring and making sloppy tackles he seems to skip past players and be more energetic.

To me he seems like he should be an impact player. Brought on with 20/30 minutes to go to give the midfield/defence energy against tiring legs.

27 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Dykes is our undisputed first choice striker now.

That was a hard watch tonight.

I think a lot of the problem, apart from being up against a very well organised side on a plastic pitch in the middle if the north atlantic, was the amount of energy expended on Saturday.

I think Clarke is on a hiding to nothing there though. If he makes wholesale changes and doesnt win he gets slaughtered. He sticks by the majority of the squad and we get a jaded performance like that, he gets slaughtered.

Its definitely something Ive noticed this campaign and at the Euros, however, is that we dont seem to manage a number of games in a short space of time very well. We need to get better at that and utilise our squad more. 

Thankfully in November, the game that matters is first up, so hopefully we dont get that kind of lethargic performance again.

Ugly performance but I’d rather be winning that 1-0 than drawing 2-2. I think we need to be mindful of progress we’re making towards qualification aim compared to years gone by. 

McTominay showed again why he’s not a starter in my opinion. McGregor and Gilmour are stick on CM pairing and McTominay shouldn’t be anywhere near RCB as displayed on much of Saturday. 

Credit to big Dykes. 6 goals in 20, in some big games, is a decent record he’s building. He’s not a world beater but I thought he was great against Israel especially and has looked his best yet in this double header. Looks like his all-round play is improving. Hopefully it continues as we’d do well to remember the journey and improvement he’s been on. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Gilmour was as guilty as anyone for giving the ball away. Needs to work on his shooting as well. 

This all day.

Gilmour did not have a good second half as the performance went through the phases from up-the-tempo to anxiety to uber-anxiety. Normal in these circumstances.

Coincidentally, the player who stood up more and more during those same phases was Scott McTominay.

And a major shout to Grant Hanley for that clearance in the middle of the box after c75 minutes when there were three opponents available to take advantage.

That was crucial to this victory.

26 minutes ago, Judith said:

That was a hard watch tonight.

I think a lot of the problem, apart from being up against a very well organised side on a plastic pitch in the middle if the north atlantic, was the amount of energy expended on Saturday.

I think Clarke is on a hiding to nothing there though. If he makes wholesale changes and doesnt win he gets slaughtered. He sticks by the majority of the squad and we get a jaded performance like that, he gets slaughtered.

Its definitely something Ive noticed this campaign and at the Euros, however, is that we dont seem to manage a number of games in a short space of time very well. We need to get better at that and utilise our squad more. 

Thankfully in November, the game that matters is first up, so hopefully we dont get that kind of lethargic performance again.

Hopefully you’re right but we were slow and lethargic in the first half on Saturday as well. We never seem to play anywhere near our best until the second half these days. 

I think Moldova will be easier. We knew the Faroes game was a must win game but we also knew nothing would be decided tonight. The Moldova game is a proper cup final sort of game which will result in us getting a playoff via our qualifying group for the first time in 18 years. I fancy us to win by 2 or 3 goals. 

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The early thoughts about the Moldova game now is that we need Adams to be fit and in a bit of form and the same applies to Nisbet what with Dykes and Christie now being suspended for that game.

Yeah losing Dykes is a blow but I’m sure if Nisbet and Adams get some decent service they’ll bag a goal or two between them. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah losing Dykes is a blow but I’m sure if Nisbet and Adams get some decent service they’ll bag a goal or two between them. 

I admire your optimism.

Number 2 buses in Dumbarton Road currently offer a more reliable service than the Scotland team do to our strikers.

21 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

This all day.

Gilmour did not have a good second half as the performance went through the phases from up-the-tempo to anxiety to uber-anxiety. Normal in these circumstances.

Coincidentally, the player who stood up more and more during those same phases was Scott McTominay.

And a major shout to Grant Hanley for that clearance in the middle of the box after c75 minutes when there were three opponents available to take advantage.

That was crucial to this victory.

I thought Gilmour was actually pretty good going forward in the second half. He contributed to the goal and should have grabbed one himself. He gave the ball away  needlessly 2 or 3 times though which could have led to a Faroes goal. McTominay bailed him out on one of the occasions. 

If he does that against better opposition we will get punished.

Yeah the defence was pretty solid in the second half with the exception of a bad decision by Robertson. Hanley’s clearance was a standout. 

6 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

I admire your optimism.

Number 2 buses in Dumbarton Road currently offer a more reliable service than the Scotland team do to our strikers.

😂 true but Moldova really are genuine minnows. I know we struggled to kill them off last month but I’m feeling confident that we’ll have a more comfortable evening against them than we did tonight. 

I have absolutely no idea why I think that to be fair. I also thought we’d beat Israel comfortably so am 100% not to be listened to. 

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

😂 true but Moldova really are genuine minnows. I know we struggled to kill them off last month but I’m feeling confident that we’ll have a more comfortable evening against them than we did tonight. 

I have absolutely no idea why I think that to be fair. I also thought we’d beat Israel comfortably so am 100% not to be listened to. 

Faroe Islands are better than Moldova no doubt of that. They are not as well-organised defensively as The Faroes and that shows in the goals they have conceded compared to them.

The game reminded me of one of the old firm playing Livingston away on an artificial pitch on a horrible night.

Credit to the team for pulling through with 3 points which was all that we should care about here.

Big shout out to Lyndon Dykes who is one of the more effective Scotland strikers in my lifetime and Nathan Patterson who created the winners against Moldova and the Faroes over the last month in crucial 1-0 wins.