The Faroe Islands V Scotland - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Faroe Islands V Scotland

Caledonian Craig

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Gilmour was as guilty as anyone for giving the ball away. Needs to work on his shooting as well. 

Yes, I'm saying apart from all the things he and all the players did not so well, he did well.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thought we looked much better when McGregor came on, the midfield seemed disjointed prior to that. We were missing Adams a lot too in how he moves defenders about and creates space for others.
I'd have taken 1-0 before the game and I'd take 1-0 against Moldova too. These international away games are always potential banana skins and it's the 3 points that matters

Just now, csinclair said:

Thought we looked much better when McGregor came on, the midfield seemed disjointed prior to that. We were missing Adams a lot too in how he moves defenders about and creates space for others.
I'd have taken 1-0 before the game and I'd take 1-0 against Moldova too. These international away games are always potential banana skins and it's the 3 points that matters

True but we were extremely lucky to win that. I don’t mind beating teams like the Faroes 0-1 away from home as long as we totally control the game and are unlucky not to score a few more. 

We can forget that now though and move on to Moldova next month in the knowledge that a win puts us in the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Mcgregor is the main man, he's been our best player against Israel, England, Austria and Serbia imo. These were the big matches that mattered and hes been immense in them all. Surprised he's still at celtic,  If was epl manager I would of bought him by now. 

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

Right. This cannot happen again. Dykes and Christie out of Moldova game. Will need to be Adams and Nisbet up front.

Yeah it’s a pity Dykes won’t get a chance to score in 5 consecutive games. Very soft booking as well. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

True but we were extremely lucky to win that. I don’t mind beating teams like the Faroes 0-1 away from home as long as we totally control the game and are unlucky not to score a few more. 

We can forget that now though and move on to Moldova next month in the knowledge that a win puts us in the playoffs. 

We absolutely dominated the second half, they barely got into our half. We weren't great ourselves but we managed to pull the victory out by battling til the end. Thats a great trait to have. 

We have gotten the two victories needed which is brilliant and we should be happy. 

10 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not sure where the negativity is coming from, 2 wins and a gutsy performance in both games has left us pretty much qualified for the play offs as long as Israel don't beat Austria at home. 

Does anyone actual remember the last twenty years of misery. 

Fair point. I think once the disappointment of the performance dies down everyone will be happy about where we are. 

A decent win against Moldova next month and the performance tonight will be a distant memory. 

1 minute ago, DAVIDB46 said:

More likely the return of mcburnie 😆

I'd say someone like Ross Stewart might get a call up. Quite a similar player to Dykes, even if he is at a lower level.

We also have Ryan Hardie banging them in, in league 1. Lower level but League 1 is still a higher level than Moldova.

Will be interesting to see what Clarke does. We can't go to Moldova with just Adams, Nesbitt and Fraser as a makeshift striker. That is just asking for trouble.

Where to start with that.

The first 45 minutes were simply awful. They were the better team and if not for Gordon, they could have been 1 or 2 nil up at half time.

A better-ish second half, but nowhere near enough urgency, or ability to break them down.

I'm pretty happy Christie is out for the Moldova game. He's a decent addition to the squad, but he is nowhere near a starter these days. For every trick he tries, too many don't come off, and for a team that struggles to create or even score enough goals, we can't have him wasting 4 chances for every 1 on target.

Dykes. Where do you start with him? Probably a 10,000 word essay. What a whirlwind of a player, who for some reason gets a lot of the breaks. If Christie misses 4 changes for every good one then Dykes will find himself off side, run the ball out of play, get booked, yet he gets the breaks too - his goal on Saturday, his goal tonight, and the luck of the penalty rebound. Can't drop him as he's almost an engima, but we need again to be doing much better than having to rely on him to score.

McGregor - maybe a bit OTT now, but is he our best player? His last 4/5 games for Scotland have been outstanding. Such a clever, quick and intelligent player. Doesn't get enough plaudits IMO. He didn't turn the game, but he certainly gave us a lot more oompph and drive going forward when he came on.

Patterson did more in 9 minutes than Fraser did alright. Rather Patterson's curlers in to the box than Fraser's. Nisbet deserved more than 10 minutes as well.

Lots to take on board.

We are A LONG way from Qatar or being a decent side, but we are grinding along, and all these wee 1-0 and late winners over Israel add up. Whilst we are a bit away from even being competitive at a tournament, we have a good young squad  - 3 of the 23 are over 30, 2 keepers and 1 is a subby defender (Cooper). IF, and again, let's just see what happens, but if we can somehow do it again and get there - another 13 months from now, with a lot more caps for many e.g Dykes' 20th cap tonight, 18 months again he was playing in Palmerston for his mum and dad's home town team.

Still lots of baffling decisions that Clarke makes. And I do like him, but too slow to make tactical changes. I don't think the Faroese deserved to win that, but at that same time I don't quite know if we did either.

Basically, are we turning in to a better to watch version of Ireland a decade or more ago - where they would go to places like Georgia, Moldova etc, not play great, but win? We'll find out in 4 weeks.

Moldova are the 'worst' team in the group. The table doesn't lie, but again, we are so bi-polar as a team, that I have no idea if it'll be more of the same of tonight, or more like that second half performance against Israel.

Anyhoos, I am a hypocrite. I said I'd take an ugly 1-0 win, and we got it.

Let's move on and see what November brings, but certainly a lot to think about, and Clarke got away with that (again), kinda, a bit like Dykes', he/we have certainly had our fair share of the green in qualifying.

VAR - being kind over all to us.

Dykes scoring goals with every bit of his body.

Israel scelping Austria, and now for Austria to do that to them in the return leg!

P.S What has happened to Austria. They were excellent in the Euros, and now out of the WC before the last set of fixtures.

12 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

We absolutely dominated the second half, they barely got into our half. We weren't great ourselves but we managed to pull the victory out by battling til the end. Thats a great trait to have. 

We have gotten the two victories needed which is brilliant and we should be happy. 

We did but we could and probably should have been 2-0 down at halftime. That didn’t happen thankfully but it’s a dangerous game we are playing. 

That’s 4 single goal victories out of the 5 games we’ve won which is a very fine line between success and failure. 

17 minutes ago, csinclair said:

looked like it came off the defender and bounced off Dyke's chest. 2 games in a row we've got a late winner off the chest. Can't say i've seen that before

Our living room is being decorated, whole house is in upheaval. I was watching my 65 inch TV from about a foot away in my bedroom almost side on. 😂

3 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Where to start with that.

The first 45 minutes were simply awful. They were the better team and if not for Gordon, they could have been 1 or 2 nil up at half time.

A better-ish second half, but nowhere near enough urgency, or ability to break them down.

I'm pretty happy Christie is out for the Moldova game. He's a decent addition to the squad, but he is nowhere near a starter these days. For every trick he tries, too many don't come off, and for a team that struggles to create or even score enough goals, we can't have him wasting 4 chances for every 1 on target.

Dykes. Where do you start with him? Probably a 10,000 word essay. What a whirlwind of a player, who for some reason gets a lot of the breaks. If Christie misses 4 changes for every good one then Dykes will find himself off side, run the ball out of play, get booked, yet he gets the breaks too - his goal on Saturday, his goal tonight, and the luck of the penalty rebound. Can't drop him as he's almost an engima, but we need again to be doing much better than having to rely on him to score.

McGregor - maybe a bit OTT now, but is he our best player? His last 4/5 games for Scotland have been outstanding. Such a clever, quick and intelligent player. Doesn't get enough plaudits IMO. He didn't turn the game, but he certainly gave us a lot more oompph and drive going forward when he came on.

Patterson did more in 9 minutes than Fraser did alright. Rather Patterson's curlers in to the box than Fraser's. Nisbet deserved more than 10 minutes as well.

Lots to take on board.

We are A LONG way from Qatar or being a decent side, but we are grinding along, and all these wee 1-0 and late winners over Israel add up. Whilst we are a bit away from even being competitive at a tournament, we have a good young squad  - 3 of the 23 are over 30, 2 keepers and 1 is a subby defender (Cooper). IF, and again, let's just see what happens, but if we can somehow do it again and get there - another 13 months from now, with a lot more caps for many e.g Dykes' 20th cap tonight, 18 months again he was playing in Palmerston for his mum and dad's home town team.

Still lots of baffling decisions that Clarke makes. And I do like him, but too slow to make tactical changes. I don't think the Faroese deserved to win that, but at that same time I don't quite know if we did either.

Basically, are we turning in to a better to watch version of Ireland a decade or more ago - where they would go to places like Georgia, Moldova etc, not play great, but win? We'll find out in 4 weeks.

Moldova are the 'worst' team in the group. The table doesn't lie, but again, we are so bi-polar as a team, that I have no idea if it'll be more of the same of tonight, or more like that second half performance against Israel.

Anyhoos, I am a hypocrite. I said I'd take an ugly 1-0 win, and we got it.

Let's move on and see what November brings, but certainly a lot to think about, and Clarke got away with that (again), kinda, a bit like Dykes', he/we have certainly had our fair share of the green in qualifying.

VAR - being kind over all to us.

Dykes scoring goals with every bit of his body.

Israel scelping Austria, and now for Austria to do that to them in the return leg!

P.S What has happened to Austria. They were excellent in the Euros, and now out of the WC before the last set of fixtures.

We could get them again in the play off first game as it’s two from three from Wales , Czech Republic and Austria via nations league 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We did but we could and probably should have been 2-0 down at halftime. That didn’t happen thankfully but it’s a dangerous game we are playing. 

That’s 4 single goal victories out of the 5 games we’ve won which is a very fine line between success and failure. 

Thats down to our lack of goalscoring players and strikers. We create plenty of chances in most of our games but can't convert them. 

Also we got a big performance out of Gordon tonight which I think we were due tbf. His save in the first half was immense.