The Faroe Islands V Scotland - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Faroe Islands V Scotland

Caledonian Craig

Another important match for us tonight. Team selection also not quite as straight forward as Saturday was. Hopefully, we can keep the goals flowing as an early goal would be great to relax the team and settle us down. I think we will line-up something like this:-

Gordon

Hendry        Hanley      Tierney

Patterson                                                                              Robertson

McTominay         Gilmour

McGinn

Dykes           Nisbet

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Another important match for us tonight. Team selection also not quite as straight forward as Saturday was. Hopefully, we can keep the goals flowing as an early goal would be great to relax the team and settle us down. I think we will line-up something like this:-

Gordon

Patterson                                                                              Robertson

McGinn

Dykes           Nisbet

That's the team I'd play, but Christie instead of Nisbet. However, it's incredibly harsh to drop McGregor, or any of the heroes from Israel.

Saying that, McGregor has just  come back from injury and is always in danger of burnout, so I think he would be the most sensible to leave out.

The more games Gilmour and Patterson get the better. It'll stand them in good stead for their clubs, as well as us going forward.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Gordon

McGinn

Dykes           Nisbet

Probably my team as well. 

Mentality will be the big thing for us, get an early goal settle the nerves and play our game.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

That's the team I'd play, but Christie instead of Nisbet. However, it's incredibly harsh to drop McGregor, or any of the heroes from Israel.

Saying that, McGregor has just  come back from injury and is always in danger of burnout, so I think he would be the most sensible to leave out.

The more games Gilmour and Patterson get the better. It'll stand them in good stead for their clubs, as well as us going forward.

Yes hard on McGregor but Clarke likes to freshen things up and my thinking like yours is that McGregor is just back from a longish injury lay-off and ran himself into the ground on Saturday. This way he can rest McGregor and bring in the fresh legs of Hanley who was always going to start and move McTominay into midfield.

Not really sure what Stevie Clarke will do here. He certainly hinted heavily at the press conference that he trusted his entire squad and that he had to balance consistency of selection with fresh legs to ensure we maintain the intensity that will be required to get the 3 points. Saturday will have taken a lot out of the team so I wouldnt be surprised to see more than just the 2 enforced changes. 

7 minutes ago, Judith said:

Not really sure what Stevie Clarke will do here. He certainly hinted heavily at the press conference that he trusted his entire squad and that he had to balance consistency of selection with fresh legs to ensure we maintain the intensity that will be required to get the 3 points. Saturday will have taken a lot out of the team so I wouldnt be surprised to see more than just the 2 enforced changes. 

Yes that is certainly possible or he may start with just the two changes and if we get an early goal or two change it.

22 minutes ago, Judith said:

I did think about this but hard to see what else he would change. Gordon, Tierney, Robertson, Gilmour, mcginn and dykes surely all 100% to start. 

Would he really bring in O'Donnell for Patterson for a game where we should have most of the ball? He's made some unpredictable team selections before but it would be very strange not to start 9 of the team that played on Saturday. 

It might not seem like it due to the opposition but this is genuinely our biggest game since…….. our last one. 😂

If we win tonight I think we have pretty much sealed second place. No disrespect to Moldova but they are by far the weakest team in the group and if we can beat the Faroes away we should be fine in Moldova. Only nerves/pressure/complacency could stop us I think. 

Same line up (except Adams obviously) for me tonight. I wouldn’t mind Nisbet coming in but I think Christie did enough on Saturday night to force his way in to the starting 11. 

Gordon

Hendry.  Hanley.  Tierney

Patterson                       Robbo

McTominay Gilmour McGregor

McGinn

Dykes

Id like to see this team for the first half, then make a few subs at half-time. Give a few on the bench 45 minutes, especially if we are a goal or 2 up

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

I did think about this but hard to see what else he would change. Gordon, Tierney, Robertson, Gilmour, mcginn and dykes surely all 100% to start. 

Would he really bring in O'Donnell for Patterson for a game where we should have most of the ball? He's made some unpredictable team selections before but it would be very strange not to start 9 of the team that played on Saturday. 

Its a fair point.

I did try picking a team myself but gave up when I realised Id only make the 2 changes (Hanley for McTominay or McGregor and Christie in for Adams) I really couldnt make a case for changing anyone else.

Gordon

Hendry Hanley Tierney

Patterson          Gilmour             Robbo

Christie McTominay McGinn

Dykes

Good partnerships all over the pitch. 

Hanley for McTominay and Christie in for Adams. The only 2 changes for me. 

As other said, McGregor may be one of the question marks after having not played many games, so McTominay may keep a place.

If he is looking at a few changes as hinted, I wouldn’t rule him out considering one of: starting O’Donnell instead of Patterson, or bringing McGinn deep and playing Christie off a front 2 of Dykes and Nisbet. 

Gilmour was also cramping up at the end on Sat. Let’s hope he’s fresh enough to start. 

22 minutes ago, Archiesdad said:

Would tonight be a good time to play a new keeper? 

I'm hoping Paterson could be brilliant tonight, poor first half on sat, but this is the sort of game he could Excell in.

Cristie and dykes for me up front.

We'll see what SSC picks. I'm confident in his judgement.

It's not a game for experimenting. Imagine the grief Clarke would get if he played Mclaughlin and he threw one in the net. 

Needs to be our strongest team. If we manage to get ourselves in a comfortable position (a very big if) then can switch things around. 

Best team out there, play them all, suspensions impending or not. I'd love an early goal, wouldn't we all!

I'll take a honking 1-0 win to Scotia. The Faroes are very good minnows. Ken Austria and Israel seemed to put them to the sword, but it's somewhat of a derby (for them at least to a certain extent. The Faroese I've met have all been, know of or even say they have a distant relative from Scotland). 

Barring a miracle, Moldova will be 6th in this group (3pts behind Faroese with far worse GD) I wouldn't be encouraging it, but if we were to only get 4 PTS from next 2 then 3 tonight and 1 in Moldova. 

No, scrap that. Win tonight, Mon, this new generation and make sure that win against Israel means something! 

23 minutes ago, Dodger said:

It's not a game for experimenting. Imagine the grief Clarke would get if he played Mclaughlin and he threw one in the net. 

Needs to be our strongest team. If we manage to get ourselves in a comfortable position (a very big if) then can switch things around. 

Don’t think McLaughlin is any different to Craig Gordon tbh, certainly no worse. 

GK - Kelly

LCB - Cooper

CB - Hanley

RCB - McKenna

LWB - Robertson (capt)

RWB - O'Donnell

MID - Armstrong

MID - McLean

MID - Turnbull

FWD - Fraser

FWD - Nisbet

I actually fear this fixture but also acknowledge fresh legs will be key. It is a chance to show the strength and depth of the squad. Obviously the manager won't take a gamble like this today but maybe I would.

Don't see any point in playing Hanley over Hendry or McTominay against the Faroes. Its a game that we should dominate possession, and for all that Hanley has really improved his form for us over the last year, in terms of passing technique and keeping the ball, he is miles behind both of them. If we were playing someone good, then Id bring him back.

Nisbet hasnt impressed me in a Scotland shirt, but he should start tonight in our only change, and we should go two up front.

McGinn playing deep for us is a non starter for me, in the few games he has played there for us, he has been pretty useless, keep him where is. Unless there's any injuries, same again.

16 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

GK - Kelly

LCB - Cooper

CB - Hanley

RCB - McKenna

LWB - Robertson (capt)

RWB - O'Donnell

MID - Armstrong

MID - McLean

MID - Turnbull

FWD - Fraser

FWD - Nisbet

I actually fear this fixture but also acknowledge fresh legs will be key. It is a chance to show the strength and depth of the squad. Obviously the manager won't take a gamble like this today but maybe I would.

Although I don't agree with the 11 you have chosen, I do think there will be more changes than a lot on here want.

"Play the strongest team possible". As much as I am on board with this, remember, the strongest team against the Faroes is not the strongest team against Israel or Denmark. In fact, the same 11 could be detrimental to winning this game comfortably, as there will be less attacking flair.

Saying all that, no matter who starts, I think we'll win.

41 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

GK - Kelly

LCB - Cooper

CB - Hanley

RCB - McKenna

LWB - Robertson (capt)

RWB - O'Donnell

MID - Armstrong

MID - McLean

MID - Turnbull

FWD - Fraser

FWD - Nisbet

I think most of your team will be on the bench rather than in the team? 🤣 I can see the logic in your thinking though.