Whose our first choice right back? - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Whose our first choice right back?

Malcolm

2 hours ago, borojock said:

I think Clarke will stick with Paterson and O'Donnell cant see him wanting to change the squad too much seems to have created, as much as i hate the phrase, a club spirit and mentality amongst the current squad. I think O'Donnell's experience 20 odd international games and 150 odd club games more than Ralston will swing it. Also i don't think O'Donnell has let us down had some shocking moments and isnt great going forward but hasnt had a shocker of a full game 

Only 2 additions for next squad i think will be Soutter as back up for Hendry for right of the back 3 and ive got a feeling Hickey may make it as back up left wing back. I know was named in U21 but paying regular football in the Italian top league i would want to get him integrated into squad sooner rather than later 

Surely O'Donnell has played significantly more than 150 games more than Ralston. 

If it were up to me, I'd have Souttar, Hickey, Ralston, Ramsay and Gauld included. But if I had to bet, I reckon none of them will be called up. Barring Covid/injury crisis. And it's hard to argue against that. But all might justifiably feel hard done by.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Surely O'Donnell has played significantly more than 150 games more than Ralston. 

If it were up to me, I'd have Souttar, Hickey, Ralston, Ramsay and Gauld included. But if I had to bet, I reckon none of them will be called up. Barring Covid/injury crisis. And it's hard to argue against that. But all might justifiably feel hard done by.

Interesting to see if Hickey turns up for the under 21s and if not what the reaction on here will be. 

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Another weekend goes by with Patterson not playing a minute of football. This can't continue if he is to play later this month imo

We’d have drawn with the Faroes if he hadn’t played and put in that world class ball for Dykes.

He will start vs Moldova. 

49 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

We’d have drawn with the Faroes if he hadn’t played and put in that world class ball for Dykes.

Good point.
Out of interest, how many days will Steve Clarke have with the players before the Moldova game? (Potentially a few players coming in with not many minutes under their belt?)

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

A 'world class ball?' Against the Faroes? 😂 I think you might be massively overstating your case there. 

Listen I have high hopes for Patterson....... but what message does that send to two young lads busting a gut and playing very well for their clubs every week? (Ramsey & Ralston) when we select Patterson not getting even token minutes now, or O'Donnell at least playing, but not very well? 

It's not a sustainable situation, not when we have viable options. 

9 hours ago, slasher said:

A 'world class ball?' Against the Faroes? 😂 I think you might be massively overstating your case there. 

Listen I have high hopes for Patterson....... but what message does that send to two young lads busting a gut and playing very well for their clubs every week? (Ramsey & Ralston) when we select Patterson not getting even token minutes now, or O'Donnell at least playing, but not very well? 

It's not a sustainable situation, not when we have viable options. 

The Faroes should have been 3-0 up against us in the first half, so I don’t think they merit 😂 to be honest.

The ball in was world class.

Ramsay is injured.

O’Donnell is well below the quality of Patterson, Ralston & Ramsay. 

28 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

The Faroes should have been 3-0 up against us in the first half, so I don’t think they merit 😂 to be honest.

The ball in was world class.

Ramsay is injured.

O’Donnell is well below the quality of Patterson, Ralston & Ramsay. 

I didn’t realise Ramsay was injured again, that's a pity. 

Re the goal, I still think you're overegging it. I remember it as a scruffy goal, decent ball in which Dykes somehow manages to deflect in - absolutely nothing world class about it. 

56 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Patterson provided the assist in the Faroes and also against Moldova where he played a blinder after only one game and a 2 week self isolation so don't think lack of game time should affect him for the next game.

I agree with that.

He may not be getting game time for his club but he's shown (more importantly) in that time he can do a good job for Scotland even without club football.

On 11/1/2021 at 8:15 PM, ProudScot said:

Quite. Think we obsess too much about playing time. When they do play we worry about them getting injured. I know training is not the same as playing but being involved in the sessions with the forwards Rangers have will ensure he is ready. Clarke said at the p.c. yesterday that it was a similar situation at the Euros.

Theres a difference between getting into the squad and remaining in the squad.

Had it been the case where Patterson, Ramsey and Ralston had never been called up then it would be a difficult case to argue Patterson getting the call. However the situation is that Patterson was called up following an impressive run for his club, spent alot of time with the squad, learning the system and tactics etc during the Euros and also has impressed whenever he has played, including setting up the winner having only just came on in our last match.

Patterson will remain in the squad / team until Clarke feels his Scotland performances are suffering from his lack of club game time or when another player comes along who will clearly do a better job for Scotland. Neither of those have happened or look likely to happen anytime soon.

For comparison how many would drop Gilmour out the squad or replace him in the starting line up for McClean? Its the same as above, if Gilmour had never been capped then it would be unlikely he would be in this squad. But to not play him now would be madness.

38 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Had it been the case where Patterson, Ramsey and Ralston had never been called up then it would be a difficult case to argue Patterson getting the call. However the situation is that Patterson was called up following an impressive run for his club, spent alot of time with the squad, learning the system and tactics etc during the Euros and also has impressed whenever he has played, including setting up the winner having only just came on in our last match.

Patterson will remain in the squad / team until Clarke feels his Scotland performances are suffering from his lack of club game time or when another player comes along who will clearly do a better job for Scotland. Neither of those have happened or look likely to happen anytime soon.

For comparison how many would drop Gilmour out the squad or replace him in the starting line up for McClean? Its the same as above, if Gilmour had never been capped then it would be unlikely he would be in this squad. But to not play him now would be madness.

Absolutely. I said virtually the same thing on this thread the other day. 

50 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Totally agree with this.

5 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Unless your name is Farke (or McLean), no one.

We're in a bit of weird position where the team is doing well but there are players in the squad who aren't doing as well for their clubs as some others who have been left out.  As long as we keep winning matches and Clarke and his team keep getting the best out of them, I don't mind though.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I think tonight Patterson has made a very big claim for the number 2 jersey.  

He’s already got the jersey to be fair although he won’t be playing on Monday. 

Will be interesting to see what happens at Ibrox with the new manager but if Patterson ends up Rangers first choice RB or moves somewhere else and plays regularly he’ll be our first choice RB/RWB for years. 

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He’s already got the jersey to be fair although he won’t be playing on Monday. 

Will be interesting to see what happens at Ibrox with the new manager but if Patterson ends up Rangers first choice RB or moves somewhere else and plays regularly he’ll be our first choice RB/RWB for years. 

From a selfish/Scotland point of view, I’d probably want him to stay at Rangers and play 1st team football for a couple of seasons before heading South. I wouldn’t like to see him go to Villa or Everton and sit on the bench for a year or 2 before breaking into the team.

With regard to SOD and Paterson its a good situation to be in,, SOD is reliable and does “a job” paterson has that little extra and plays off the cuff so to speak,, with age Patterson will develop into a top class player i have no doubt. I think SOD is the better option for denmark tbh

5 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

With regard to SOD and Paterson its a good situation to be in,, SOD is reliable and does “a job” paterson has that little extra and plays off the cuff so to speak,, with age Patterson will develop into a top class player i have no doubt. I think SOD is the better option for denmark tbh

With Patterson suspended against Denmark, Clarke may well bring Ralston into the squad as cover. Think he will start SOD still but it’ll be good to get Ralston involved in the squad if it happens.

7 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

SOD is nothing like the better option if they were both available.

Shame Ralston isn’t in the squad as now our right hand side is totally hamstrung on Monday night. 

5 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Don’t think you’re allowed to call up replacements for suspended players.

Can’t we replace Fraser pulling out with Ralston?