Whose our first choice right back? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Whose our first choice right back?

Malcolm

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Agreed. Patterson did great when he came on, but that doesn't mean Fraser was rubbish. Fraser is far better further up the field. If he's getting decent game time for Newcastle between now and November, I'd start him up top with Adams. 

Patterson will, most likely, be our first choice rwb. However, as someone else mentioned, he's only played 4 games for Rangers. Compare that with Ramsay's 21 games. Obviously playing for Aberdeen is a different proposition to supplanting Tavernier, but Patterson might find he has stiff competition if Ramsay continues to soar.

Patterson 4 games this season, Ramsay 8. Tavernier 7. That’s excluding Patterson’s first team games for Scotland. Settle down. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Agreed. Patterson did great when he came on, but that doesn't mean Fraser was rubbish. Fraser is far better further up the field. If he's getting decent game time for Newcastle between now and November, I'd start him up top with Adams. 

Patterson will, most likely, be our first choice rwb. However, as someone else mentioned, he's only played 4 games for Rangers. Compare that with Ramsay's 21 games. Obviously playing for Aberdeen is a different proposition to supplanting Tavernier, but Patterson might find he has stiff competition if Ramsay continues to soar.

Are those stats correct?

From what I can see Patterson has played 17 times for Rangers (7 of those in the Europa League) and 5 times for Scotland (1 of which at the Euros)

Ramsay has played 21 games for Aberdeen (according to AFC website) of which 6 were in the Europa conference league qualifiers.

So in terms of top team football Paterson has actually played slightly more and at a higher level.

Im very disapointed that Rangers didnt sell Taviner in the summer. It makes no business sence to me and I think damages them financially and also from a football point of view going forward. Patterson cant continue to play 2nd fiddle and Tavs stock will never be higher than it was about March last year.

18 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Are those stats correct?

From what I can see Patterson has played 17 times for Rangers (7 of those in the Europa League) and 5 times for Scotland (1 of which at the Euros)

Ramsay has played 21 games for Aberdeen (according to AFC website) of which 6 were in the Europa conference league qualifiers.

So in terms of top team football Paterson has actually played slightly more and at a higher level.

Im very disapointed that Rangers didnt sell Taviner in the summer. It makes no business sence to me and I think damages them financially and also from a football point of view going forward. Patterson cant continue to play 2nd fiddle and Tavs stock will never be higher than it was about March last year.

Patterson will be sold, not Tavernier. 

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Patterson will be sold, not Tavernier. 

I dont disagree.

Im just pointing out that its very bad business.

Tavernier around March had very good stats and had led Rangers to their 1st title in 10 years. He hadnt long turned 29 so probably could have a good 3 or 4 years at the top level. I dont think its stretching things to say he could have been sold for between 8-10 million including add ons to a lower / mid table EPL side. Somebody like Burnley for example would benefit from his crossing.

That would have allowed Patterson to be the main right back for a couple of years where potentially Rangers could have been looking at a Tierney situation of 20-25 million.

What they have now is Tavenier probably not being sold, certainly not for any substantial amount of money due to age and his stock dropping. Also Patterson not reaching his full value and getting frustrated with lack of game time. I still think they will get about 10 million for him but thats very poor business and short sighted imo.

33 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I dont disagree.

Im just pointing out that its very bad business.

Tavernier around March had very good stats and had led Rangers to their 1st title in 10 years. He hadnt long turned 29 so probably could have a good 3 or 4 years at the top level. I dont think its stretching things to say he could have been sold for between 8-10 million including add ons to a lower / mid table EPL side. Somebody like Burnley for example would benefit from his crossing.

That would have allowed Patterson to be the main right back for a couple of years where potentially Rangers could have been looking at a Tierney situation of 20-25 million.

What they have now is Tavenier probably not being sold, certainly not for any substantial amount of money due to age and his stock dropping. Also Patterson not reaching his full value and getting frustrated with lack of game time. I still think they will get about 10 million for him but thats very poor business and short sighted imo.

I’m not convinced Tavernier is worth that much, but if they had received a bid of that amount I’m sure he’d have been sold. I think Tavernier will be Rangers captain for another 4 years so it could be argued they’d have needed to spend a fair sum to replace him had they tried to cash in, given Patterson will be away before long, too.

I see this very much as a Hateley/Duncan Ferguson scenario without the jail time. 

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Thete is another scenario that could very soon change a lot.

In growing circles Gerrard is being linked with a move to the EPL. Should that come about then the whole right-back spot at Rangers changes. A new manager may want his own man in there or may prefer Patterson.

Or Gerrard might take Patterson with him?

It’s all conjecture anyway until Gerrard actually leaves Rangers. 

10 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Are those stats correct?

It was someone else on this forum that stated Patterson played 4 times. But they are also claiming Ramsay only played 8. However, I read an article today that states it is 21 games. Who knows. (I don't have the patience to check) 17 appearances might be accurate, but I assume most aren't starts.

Why would you discount conference league games for Ramsay? They surely aren't lower than SPFL standard or the league cup games Patterson played in. Any European exposure is valuable.

Anyway, I wasn't suggesting Ramsay should be in ahead of Patterson, my point was that he could be nipping at his heels before long.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

It was someone else on this forum that stated Patterson played 4 times. But they are also claiming Ramsay only played 8. However, I read an article today that states it is 21 games. Who knows. (I don't have the patience to check) 17 appearances might be accurate, but I assume most aren't starts.

Why would you discount conference league games for Ramsay? They surely aren't lower than SPFL standard or the league cup games Patterson played in. Any European exposure is valuable.

Anyway, I wasn't suggesting Ramsay should be in ahead of Patterson, my point was that he could be nipping at his heels before long.

Aberdeen have only played 15 games so far this season.

9 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

It refers to this season, since people were concerned Patterson wasn’t getting enough game time. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

10 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I wasnt discounting Europa Conference league games. I was just highlighting that Europa League and International including euros is higher for comparison purposes.

I think Ramsay is a real talent and is already nipping at the heels.

My post was purely in responce to the numbers.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

I wasnt discounting Europa Conference league games. I was just highlighting that Europa League and International including euros is higher for comparison purposes.

I think Ramsay is a real talent and is already nipping at the heels.

My post was purely in responce to the numbers.

Yeah, I think there was just some confusion over the stats. Regardless of playing time, I think we can all agree it looks like both Patterson and Ramsay are top talents that will be fighting it out for years to come. Imagine having 2 Huttons to choose from!

(I also still rate O'Donnell, but he won't last forever)

Interesting what Who Scored think of our right backs.

Anthony Ralston is a lot better than both of them, in fact he's better than Tavernier, in fact he's the best player in our league and not only that but it's by some distance.

Can't be that good though or our Celtic fans would be posting.

Having said that I've fallen out with their ratings so we can probably take that with a pinch of salt.

23 hours ago, csinclair said:

As much as I rate Ramsay, the way the Scotland setup operates I can't see him being involved for at least season unless we suddenly get injuries. They'll want him to pick up some more U21 caps first most likely.

Also Ramsay won’t see the Scotland first team cos of the team he plays for. Dons are nearly the worst team in the league this year. 

12 hours ago, csinclair said:

Just wondering if those who say Patterson shouldn't be first pick for Scotland because he isn't for Rangers think the same about Gilmour since he can't get a game for Norwich.

Very true.

At the end of the day all that matters is that they do a job for Scotland when selected. Look at Wales. They have had a stellar few years and there are a few players in their starting line-up and bench who are not first team regulars. It does nt stop them qualifying for tournaments.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Clarke will stick with Paterson and O'Donnell cant see him wanting to change the squad too much seems to have created, as much as i hate the phrase, a club spirit and mentality amongst the current squad. I think O'Donnell's experience 20 odd international games and 150 odd club games more than Ralston will swing it. Also i don't think O'Donnell has let us down had some shocking moments and isnt great going forward but hasnt had a shocker of a full game 

Only 2 additions for next squad i think will be Soutter as back up for Hendry for right of the back 3 and ive got a feeling Hickey may make it as back up left wing back. I know was named in U21 but paying regular football in the Italian top league i would want to get him integrated into squad sooner rather than later