Whose our first choice right back? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Whose our first choice right back?

Malcolm

The position is up for grabs as far as I am concerned. O'Donnell has done a lot right and very little wrong for us but I get he is somewhat  limited in an attacking sense. Patterson has potential but he's done nothing to nail down the position, in fact he was utter dug meat in the first half last night. Frankly if he can't nail down the position at club level he shouldn't be considered. There are other young RB's coming through, let's just see what happens. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, slasher said:

The position is up for grabs as far as I am concerned. O'Donnell has done a lot right and very little wrong for us but I get he is somewhat  limited in an attacking sense. Patterson has potential but he's done nothing to nail down the position, in fact he was utter dug meat in the first half last night. Frankly if he can't nail down the position at club level he shouldn't be considered. There are other young RB's coming through, let's just see what happens. 

Pretty much everyone was terrible in the first half yesterday. Patterson was excellent in the second half as was the whole team.

At least we have options on that side of the pitch. It has been a problem position for us for years. 

26 minutes ago, slasher said:

Good summary.

RB/RWB is for the taking right now and some serious competition exists for a variety of reasons.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Anyone saying Patterson was terrible first half - so was the whole team. 

McTominay was a fish out of water at the back the entire match & Hendry was culpable for the first goal although played a big part in the winner. 

Patterson was brilliant second half & the attacking outlet he provides means he’s got to be our first pick in crucial games IMO. 

43 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

McTominay was a fish out of water at the back the entire match & Hendry was culpable for the first goal although played a big part in the winner. 

Patterson was brilliant second half & the attacking outlet he provides means he’s got to be our first pick in crucial games IMO. 

Patterson also set up Adams first minute who should have scored 

At the opposition byline first minute of the game 

He gives us balance regardless of any defensive frailties 

Andy Robertson lets too many crosses in btw

56 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Patterson needs to be managed at club and country level. A great prospect but certainly not the finished article. I think he may leave Rangers at the end of the season. 

I hope he leaves rangers at the end of the season 

The position is certainly still there for the taking. One thing id like to add though is that its not as simple as saying if he isnt first choice for his club side then he shouldnt start for Scotland.

Its considerably harder to start for Rangers than it is Aberdeen or Motherwell. There is always a balance to be found. In Pattersons favour is his talent (over somebody like Odonnell) however against him comes the counter that at some point somebody with similar talent who is getting more game time comes along and could take the position (like Ramsey or Hickey)

If Gilmour was still on the Chelsea bench be should still be getting picked ahead of McLean for example.

I don’t think it’s a nailed down position at the moment. Patterson whilst good already is still developing and is not starting a lot at club level. SOD should be considered for the more backs against the wall games as he is the better defender. Ramsay looks to have good potential as well. It’s a good problem to have in what has been a dodgy position for us in the past.

3 hours ago, Bino's said:

Patterson also set up Adams first minute who should have scored 

At the opposition byline first minute of the game 

He gives us balance regardless of any defensive frailties 

Andy Robertson lets too many crosses in btw

Agree with that.  Oddly enough I remember thinking when Adams missed, it might not be a bad thing as we could have mentally relaxed after taking such an early lead. Anyway, think it shows that Adams is not really a natural finisher, whatever his other qualities. 

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Fair enough.

My take on it is that Patterson is far better offensively due to his pace and quick feet. O'Donnell is better defensively. Patterson should be the way forward now but expect us to be vulnerable defensively on that right flank should Patterson be caught too far forward.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

19 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Hickey can go fuck himself. 

The future will be Patterson or Ramsay, whichever progresses quicker, but we could see us with the same Robbo/Tierney conundrum on the rhs too shortly.  

Hickey is captain call off.

Untll he can be arsed turning up for ybr 21s then he shouldn't even be in consideration for the full side. Has next to no international experience but plenty call offs

I have a real soft spot for SOD and I thought Clarke would have picked him 100% on Saturday just due to the magnutude of the game and his past loyalty to him. The fact that he went for Patterson maybe says something about the direction of travel. There is no doubt that SOD has more experience and has put in some pretty big performances for us recently, but Patterson is younger, more athletic and technically better on the ball. The only question marks going forward are decision making and game time, which pretty much go hand in hand. Havent seen much of young Ramsay but Aberdeen fans seem pretty excited about him, soone of our problem positions is suddenly looking very healthy indeed. If we could just find ourselves a Zahavi......

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

Hickey can go fuck himself. 

Jesus Christ. I hope he doesn't come on this forum. Bloody hell. Totally unnecessary.

Hickey will probably end up as the Taylor replacement, in the short term. Who knows for the future, but he's progressing very well in Italy. I think notions of him being our rwb are a bit hopeful. Although he is good with his right, he is left footed and almost always plays on the left. SOD and Patterson are more than capable of playing RWB without having to force Hickey out of position.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Hickey is captain call off.

Untll he can be arsed turning up for ybr 21s then he shouldn't even be in consideration for the full side. Has next to no international experience but plenty call offs

Correct 

5 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Jesus Christ. I hope he doesn't come on this forum. Bloody hell. Totally unnecessary.

Hickey will probably end up as the Taylor replacement, in the short term. Who knows for the future, but he's progressing very well in Italy. I think notions of him being our rwb are a bit hopeful. Although he is good with his right, he is left footed and almost always plays on the left. SOD and Patterson are more than capable of playing RWB without having to force Hickey out of position.

I hope he does, then he can see how much of a bell end he is, myself and I dare say everyone on here, (some may even have been lucky enough at one stage of their lives) would give anything to be good enough to be selected to represent our country, he seems to think he’s too good for an u-21’s game and decides to pull out and play for his club instead. 

So I’ll stand by my opinion of him fucking himself instead. 

1 minute ago, dandydunn said:

Correct 

I hope he does, then he can see how much of a bell end he is, myself and I dare say everyone on here, (some may even have been lucky enough at one stage of their lives) would give anything to be good enough to be selected to represent our country, he seems to think he’s too good for an u-21’s game and decides to pull out and play for his club instead. 

So I’ll stand by my opinion of him fucking himself instead. 

Where have you heard these insane rumours? Who on earth quoted him as saying "he's too good for us". 

It's standard practise to play in a youth game, like he did, as part of your rehabilitation. I don't know if it was an intense 90min workout he had, but I doubt it. Flying abroad and playing an international is very different to playing part of an u19s friendly.

Give him a break. It probably wasn't even his decision.

51 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Where have you heard these insane rumours? Who on earth quoted him as saying "he's too good for us". 

It's standard practise to play in a youth game, like he did, as part of your rehabilitation. I don't know if it was an intense 90min workout he had, but I doubt it. Flying abroad and playing an international is very different to playing part of an u19s friendly.

Give him a break. It probably wasn't even his decision.

Rehab from what? 

He played & scored last Sunday against Lazio, pulls out of the Scotland squad injured then plays a bounce game the next day?

That must be some physio they have there, can assess, diagnose, rehabilitate and have back playing in 4 days 🤔

We can see where his priorities lie, so let him regret it for the rest of his life, but he probably won’t as the £ is more preferable. 

1 minute ago, dandydunn said:

Rehab from what? 

He played & scored last Sunday against Lazio, pulls out of the Scotland squad injured then plays a bounce game the next day?

That must be some physio they have there, can assess, diagnose, rehabilitate and have back playing in 4 days 🤔

We can see where his priorities lie, so let him regret it for the rest of his life, but he probably won’t as the £ is more preferable. 

Most likely his club didn’t want him to travel and risk getting covid. 

7 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I doubt he’d give a shit what Dandydunn (or anyone else on here) thinks of him. 

13 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I doubt he’d give a shit what Dandydunn (or anyone else on here) thinks of him. 

I dunno? Mr dunn has managed to get under the skin of much more famous folk than Hickey. Just look at how he has managed to mess up the head of the Mighty Ramy MacRambo from Canada.

11 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I dunno? Mr dunn has managed to get under the skin of much more famous folk than Hickey. Just look at how he has managed to mess up the head of the Mighty Ramy MacRambo from Canada.

That was never really a challenge 😂😂😂