Whose our first choice right back? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Whose our first choice right back?

Malcolm

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patterson for me, ok he had a shaky 1st half yesterday, but 2nd half provided a good attacking outlet down our right.  I think with Hendry behind him , talking to him, it’ll help him in games. I also think if McTominay returns to the midfield, him and Patterson will begin to link up nicely down the right. 
The only real question mark I have is him getting enough 1st team football at Rangers to stay match sharp and for his long-term development.

4 minutes ago, thelonehutch said:

Patterson looked at bit vulnerable yesterday but he has potential and will have gained a lot from the game. I'd stick with him. Really needs games consistently at club level though.

Who's this young boy at Southampton? Any good?

Tino Livramento, there’s a thread about him. 

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Patterson or o Donnell?

will hickey make a play for that spot?

Hickey's left footed. 

Patterson for me, I love SOD's attitude but technically I think Pattersons better and a more attacking minded player. 

Nothing came off for Patterson in the 1st half but it wasnt a problem as only the really top sides will punish you if you try something in the opposition half that doesnt come off *(assuming our other players are doing their job and our GK isnt standing 40 yards from goal etc)

He played exactly the same way in the 2nd half but started to get abit of luck with the bounce of ball etc. The key thing for me was that he didnt shy away.

Patterson against everybody but the top sides. Atm still ODonnell against the top sides as he is better defensively and more experienced in terms of knowing what to do or not do atm.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Nothing came off for Patterson in the 1st half but it wasnt a problem as only the really top sides will punish you if you try something in the opposition half that doesnt come off *(assuming our other players are doing their job and our GK isnt standing 40 yards from goal etc)

He played exactly the same way in the 2nd half but started to get abit of luck with the bounce of ball etc. The key thing for me was that he didnt shy away.

Patterson against everybody but the top sides. Atm still ODonnell against the top sides as he is better defensively and more experienced in terms of knowing what to do or not do atm.

He was at fault for the first goal. 

Does his job and theres no free kick.

I like him but he was howling first half. If that was SOD there would be a 10 page thread.

8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He was at fault for the first goal. 

Does his job and theres no free kick.

I like him but he was howling first half. If that was SOD there would be a 10 page thread.

I think it was a bad idea to have an inexperienced right wing back in Patterson and McTominay in at right centre half. 
I think once Hendry is moved back to right centre back, once Hanley returns, we won’t be so shaky on our right.

Edited by Scot1

19 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

Aberdeen fans saying Calvin Ramsay better player than Patterson and getting more game time to get experience - Everton/Man Utd/West Ham apparently been looking at 

Not entirely sure there's much between them right now

Ramsay playing for Rangers gets the RB Scotland slot ahead of Patterson if he's playing RB for the Dons

SC made himself look daft by saying Ramsay needed more game time before being considered for the first team, when in fact Patterson has less, and was / is

Just an observation.......

26 minutes ago, csinclair said:

He's right footed but plays on the left. Has filled in on the right before for Hearts

if hickey stars in serie A going to be hard not to pick him in the squad at least.  He is right footed so don’t see why he couldn’t play right back.

1 hour ago, euan2020 said:

Aberdeen fans saying Calvin Ramsay better player than Patterson and getting more game time to get experience - Everton/Man Utd/West Ham apparently been looking at 

Ramsay looks like the real deal. I can see him reaching the same levels as Robertson and Tierney.

Yes, Patterson was shaky in 1st half yesterday, and his loss of possession directly led to the Hendry foul. O'Donnell has great attitude, but Patterson is more technically gifted, and I would take him every day of the week, even against the top teams. From the little I have seen of Ramsay, he looks fantastic. Hickey is also an option on either flank. And with Ashby and possibly Livromento waiting in the wings, the future looks bright for wing back coverage.

O'Donnell until Patterson ousts Tavernier as first choice.

For me, he's not earned his place as first choice for Scotland until he has the confidence of his club manager as a first pick. If Gerrard doesn't have confidence in him by now, then he has to move down south to progress his career.

He's also now running the risk of Ramsay gaining the upper hand on him by virtue of being first choice at Aberdeen.

Nathan Patterson has a decision to make about his own future.

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

For me, he's not earned his place as first choice for Scotland until he has the confidence of his club manager as a first pick. If Gerrard doesn't have confidence in him by now, then he has to move down south to progress his career.

He's also now running the risk of Ramsay gaining the upper hand on him by virtue of being first choice at Aberdeen.

Wouldn’t surprise me if there is a gentleman’s agreement at ibrox that he becomes first pick next season

8 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

I don’t think it’s a matter of Gerrard not having confidence in Patterson. He’s competing with the club captain for the RB position. Gerrard played him there ahead of Tavernier in Rangers last match which shows he does trust him. 

Gerrard has even mentioned looking at a change on formation so he can accommodate Tavernier and Patterson in the same team. 

It also depends on Tavernier’s plans. If he leaves Rangers next summer then Patterson will replace him as first choice RB. If Tavernier stays then Patterson will indeed have a choice to make. 

2 hours ago, Redz said:

Not entirely sure there's much between them right now

Ramsay playing for Rangers gets the RB Scotland slot ahead of Patterson if he's playing RB for the Dons

SC made himself look daft by saying Ramsay needed more game time before being considered for the first team, when in fact Patterson has less, and was / is

Just an observation.......

Ramsay has just turned 17 hasn’t he? Can’t see him getting a call up for a couple of years. He does look excellent though. 

RB covered for the next 10 years with Patterson, Ashby & Ramsay.