Callum McGregor - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Callum McGregor

Guest Scot1

Gotta hold my hands up and say well played McGregor. Was never his biggest fan in a Scotland shirt, in my opinion he never played consistently well for us. But since the introduction of Gilmour they look good in central midfield, like a Scottish Xavi and Iniesta. Happy to have been pleasantly surprised and proven wrong. 

10 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Gotta hold my hands up and say well played McGregor. Was never his biggest fan in a Scotland shirt, in my opinion he never played consistently well for us. But since the introduction of Gilmour they look good in central midfield, like a Scottish Xavi and Iniesta. Happy to have been pleasantly surprised and proven wrong. 

I thought he was rotten in the first half last night. Mind you most of the team were poor until the second half. 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

I thought he was rotten in the first half last night. Mind you most of the team were poor until the second half. 

Yeah the team didn’t really get out of the blocks. I think the early goal from the Israelis rattled them. 2nd half though 👍, the Israelis struggled to get out of their half. We pinned them in, kept possession and applied good pressure.

I think he has been fairly solid but unremarkable.  Mcginn is a standout and irreplaceable given his goal contribution.  Gilmour is fast becoming a definite starter, so you are looking at Mctominay or mcgregor for the last slot.  and that’s before we get Ryan jack back who was a first pick before injury.

12 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I think he has been fairly solid but unremarkable.  Mcginn is a standout and irreplaceable given his goal contribution.  Gilmour is fast becoming a definite starter, so you are looking at Mctominay or mcgregor for the last slot.  and that’s before we get Ryan jack back who was a first pick before injury.

Gilmour is the key to this squad, without him we aren’t anywhere near as good at playing possession football. 
I think Ryan Jack will struggle to get back into the team. Good for the squad depth though.

1 minute ago, thelonehutch said:

It doesn't matter what McGregor does, some people just don't like him.

We've won the last 2 games, against our playoff rivals, and some people are clamouring to change the team🤔

Something will need to change on Tuesday with Hanley coming back. 

Will Clarke bench McTominay or Will he move him into midfield? If he does play in midfield then who gets dropped? Would be harsh on McGregor.

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Will Clarke bench McTominay or Will he move him into midfield? If he does play in midfield then who gets dropped? Would be harsh on McGregor.

It's good to have selection headaches. There's no way he drops McGregor. Despite Hanley being our best defender it wouldn't surprise me if Clarke keeps the same team. As long as we get 3pts I'll be happy 👍

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’d push McTominay into midfield and drop Adams. Push McGinn up closer to Dykes. But whatever happens the players / team are beginning to produce and whoever is left out can consider themselves unlucky.

2 minutes ago, thelonehutch said:

It's good to have selection headaches. There's no way he drops McGregor. Despite Hanley being our best defender it wouldn't surprise me if Clarke keeps the same team. As long as we get 3pts I'll be happy 👍

Can’t see Clarke not bringing Hanley back in. McTominay should be nowhere near central defence unless we have injuries in that area. 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

Can’t see Clarke not bringing Hanley back in. McTominay should be nowhere near central defence unless we have injuries in that area. 

Hopefully Clarke has learned from yesterday that McTominay shouldn’t play at centre half again.

30 minutes ago, thelonehutch said:

It doesn't matter what McGregor does, some people just don't like him.

We've won the last 2 games, against our playoff rivals, and some people are clamouring to change the team🤔

I was probably one of his most vocal critics, and have been for a couple of years. But, since the Euros, he's been electric. I don't know if the goal boosted him or being captain of Celtic has changed his approach, but he does seem to be a different player. If I can change my mind, I'm sure plenty of others will.

I thought Gilmour's emergence would have been the passing of the baton, but it turns out they play very well together. He's played so well this year that dropping McTominay is a viable option. Which I didn't think I'd ever say.

Someone else mentioned Jack. I think he'll struggle to get back in the squad, nevermind the first team. 

12 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I was probably one of his most vocal critics, and have been for a couple of years. But, since the Euros, he's been electric. I don't know if the goal boosted him or being captain of Celtic has changed his approach, but he does seem to be a different player. If I can change my mind, I'm sure plenty of others will.

I thought Gilmour's emergence would have been the passing of the baton, but it turns out they play very well together. He's played so well this year that dropping McTominay is a viable option. Which I didn't think I'd ever say.

Someone else mentioned Jack. I think he'll struggle to get back in the squad, nevermind the first team. 

Yeah I’ve been impressed with him, he seems to be doing much more off the ball now. He was always a decent player in possession but at times seemed to be a passenger when we didn’t have the ball. But recently it seems like he’s upped his work rate, he seems to be getting stuck in with tackles and closing down opposition players. 

40 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I don’t see how Jack will struggle to get back in the squad. He was a first pick for us and often our best midfielder in the games before his injury.  This of course assumes he returns to the form pre injury.

30 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Yeah I’ve been impressed with him, he seems to be doing much more off the ball now. He was always a decent player in possession but at times seemed to be a passenger when we didn’t have the ball. But recently it seems like he’s upped his work rate, he seems to be getting stuck in with tackles and closing down opposition players. 

He's always infuriated me because it was never that he lacked the ability, just the effort. Now you see him getting involved in attacks, tracking runners, making tackles, trying adventurous passes. It's great to see.

Maybe the fact he could see he was about to lose his place in the team has given him extra impetus. Or maybe he had a swatch of the forums and saw what people were saying, and decided to make a change. Who knows. Either way, I'm loving it.

8 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I don’t see how Jack will struggle to get back in the squad. He was a first pick for us and often our best midfielder in the games before his injury.  This of course assumes he returns to the form pre injury.

I actually think he'll struggle to get back in the Rangers team. No disrespect to him. I'm a big fan of his, and would have had him ahead of McGregor last year. But a lot has changed since he was last involved.

1 minute ago, Tartan blood said:

I actually think he'll struggle to get back in the Rangers team. No disrespect to him. I'm a big fan of his, and would have had him ahead of McGregor last year. But a lot has changed since he was last involved.

think it depends what form he has when he returns.  One of the few out and out destroyers in the middle of the park for us.

9 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

He's always infuriated me because it was never that he lacked the ability, just the effort. Now you see him getting involved in attacks, tracking runners, making tackles, trying adventurous passes. It's great to see.

Maybe the fact he could see he was about to lose his place in the team has given him extra impetus. Or maybe he had a swatch of the forums and saw what people were saying, and decided to make a change. Who knows. Either way, I'm loving it.

Definitely think the increase in competition is a factor. I’ve noticed it with Christie too, seems to have become more of a “team” player when he’s been playing, since Adams effectively took his starting place. 

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Despite being top of the league Rangers are not playing well at the moment. A fit Jack would get into Rangers midfield pretty easily I think. They have missed him. 

On 10/10/2021 at 4:30 PM, Scot1 said:

Definitely think the increase in competition is a factor. I’ve noticed it with Christie too, seems to have become more of a “team” player when he’s been playing, since Adams effectively took his starting place. 

Agreed. Adams being injured does make it easier to keep both McGregor and McTominay in the team. Just leaves the decision whether to play McTominay in defence or midfield so either Hendry or Christie could lose out. 

The other factor is that Clarke likes to keep his whole squad happy and with this only being a double header some outfield squad players might not get a sniff.

Faroes is a different type of game to Israel so there may be another change in the starting lineup. 

Edited by gkm_vancouver