Player ratings - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Player ratings

mccaughey85

Gordon 6, not much to do tbf, could of done better at the free kick. 

Patterson 7, terrible first half but second was excellent. 

Hendry 6.5 fairly solid

Mctominay 7 poor first half but better in the second

Tierney 7 decent overall

Robertson 7 same

Gilmour 8 ran the midfield especially second half

Mcgregor 7.5 same

Mcginn 8 excellent goal and really pulls us out of the shit with his ability to score goals

Adams 6 average but had some decent moments

Dykes 6.5 redeemed himself with that goal which was well taken, poor pen, needs to stop taking them. 

Edited by mccaughey85

Man, you guys are tough to please! Or just have a harsh rating system. Gilmour deserves a solid 9 with that masterclass. Robertson wasn't far behind with his 2 assists and dovetailing beautifully with Tierney, who also created a fair few chances as well. 

Gordon really couldn't have done anymore with the freekick. It went through the wall. He's not superman.

Also, penalty aside, Dykes vastly overshadowed Adams. He is close to becoming undroppable.

21 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Man, you guys are tough to please! Or just have a harsh rating system. Gilmour deserves a solid 9 with that masterclass. Robertson wasn't far behind with his 2 assists and dovetailing beautifully with Tierney, who also created a fair few chances as well. 

Gordon really couldn't have done anymore with the freekick. It went through the wall. He's not superman.

Also, penalty aside, Dykes vastly overshadowed Adams. He is close to becoming undroppable.

Took us a last minute goal to win what should be on paper an easy game. If we won 4 nil then most players would be getting 8s or 9s.

We played excellent in the second half but first half we weren't great. 

6/7 is probably fair for most of the team. 

Hard game to rate players cos of that first half. Clarke would've been justified in sending McTominay on a train back to Manchester at HT but then he had a really good 2nd half.  Patterson was awful in the first half yet folk are rating him the same as Robertson and Tierney who played to a high standard throughout?  All about opinions I suppose!

Could've been 9's across the board if Adams had buried that chance in the first minute.  Not sure what good a striker is who just sclaffs at clear chances.

14 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Took us a last minute goal to win what should be on paper an easy game. If we won 4 nil then most players would be getting 8s or 9s.

We played excellent in the second half but first half we weren't great. 

6/7 is probably fair for most of the team. 

Oh come on. That fallacy was put to bed at least 3 games against them ago. 

I agree, it would be 9s across the board if we'd thumped them, so I understand why the likes of Patterson, Adams, McTominay didn't get high marks, but Gilmour deserves every plaudit coming his way. I thought that was his best Scotland performance. Robertson gets 2 very well deserved assists. After his efforts at the Euros, he deserves a stats boost.

My ratings:

Gordon 7

Tierney 8

Robertson 9

Patterson 6.5

Hendry 7

McTominay 6.5

Gilmour 9.5 MOTM

McGregor 7.5

McGinn 8.5

Dykes 8.5

Adams 7

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

Hard game to rate players cos of that first half. Clarke would've been justified in sending McTominay on a train back to Manchester at HT but then he had a really good 2nd half.  Patterson was awful in the first half yet folk are rating him the same as Robertson and Tierney who played to a high standard throughout?  All about opinions I suppose!

Could've been 9's across the board if Adams had buried that chance in the first minute.  Not sure what good a striker is who just sclaffs at clear chances.

Dykes missed an easier chance and a penalty. 

Starting to join the Mctominay isn't that great for Scotland club. Mind you the he isn't that great for Man United club is far bigger. Be much happier with a Hendry Hanley and Tierney back three.

Gilmour, McGinn and Robertson are a joy to watch. Three players with ability that won't accept defeat.probably give all three an 8+.

Would give every one else a 7 or better bar Gordon. 

Keeper position is a major worry. 

The amount of the ball Gilmour saw was incredible. 

2 hours ago, daviebee said:

Adams shoots like he knows he's not going to score, he's the same at Southampton just now.

9 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

I am glad people are finally starting to see how poor mctominay actually is, which I have been saying for a long while , despite the goal.

can’t defend for toffee, does nothing in midfield , but is guaranteed a start because of who he plays for. 

I wish people wouldn't come out with the "who he plays for" line it's disrespectful to the manager and the majority of supporters. 

Comparisons with the man United forum comments about his unavailability to receive the ball and how long it takes him to get involved in matches is uncanny. 9 out of 10 games for Manchester United he only plays in the second half. 

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I wish people wouldn't come out with the "who he plays for" line it's disrespectful to the manager and the majority of supporters. 

Comparisons with the man United forum comments about his unavailability to receive the ball and how long it takes him to get involved in matches is uncanny. 9 out of 10 games for Manchester United he only plays in the second half. 

It’s very relevant as it’s what gets him picked if he played for Burnley or something there would not be this shoe-horning him back into the side .

A place will be now found for him in midfield now for the next game.

7 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

It’s very relevant as it’s what gets him picked if he played for Burnley or something there would not be this shoe-horning him back into the side .

A place will be now found for him in midfield now for the next game.

I think it will be Hendry who drops out for Hanley. If Hendry stays in defences and Hanley also comes in I doubt if there is a place for Mctominay in midfield 

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think it will be Hendry who drops out for Hanley. If Hendry stays in defences and Hanley also comes in I doubt if there is a place for Mctominay in midfield 

play Mctominay ahead of mcgregor in midfield. Hanley back in centre, Hendry to move right.

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

play Mctominay ahead of mcgregor in midfield. Hanley back in centre, Hendry to move right.

I did say somwere that would be my back three but mctominay in for mcgregor in my eyes is probably making the team weaker. Gilmour and Mcgregor have played together a few times now and seem to compliment each other. Mctominay might be a better player than Mcgregor and Hendry might be a better defender than Mctominay but it's not that simple. 

If you switch to a back 4, push Tierney in front of Robbo in midfield. You can play McTominay on the right-side of the midfield 4. That still leaves Gilmour and McGregor in central midfield. It would mean dropping Adams and playing McGinn off Dykes. 
Id like to see us play like this against teams we’d expect to have a lot of the ball against. I think if you play McTominay in midfield, in his proper role, he’ll be a big player for Scotland. There were some encouraging signs 2nd half yesterday with some nice interplay and link up between McTominay and Patterson down our right. I’d like to see more of it. 

5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Mctominay is a better player than mcgregor.  Play him beside gilmour and he would have licence to get forward like mcginn. 

Switch to a back 4 and it doesn’t need to be either / or. It would mean dropping Adams for McGinn though. I’d like to see it tried at some point, even if it’s not during these qualifiers 

MacGregor has been great the last couple of games and is linking really well with Gilmour and people still want him dropped? The spell in the second half where we were awesome everything went through Gilmour and MacGregor. 

When Hanley is back I would put Hendry to rcb and drop McTominay. It's a good sign when you have great players on the bench though👍

18 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Switch to a back 4 and it doesn’t need to be either / or. It would mean dropping Adams for McGinn though. I’d like to see it tried at some point, even if it’s not during these qualifiers 

you could do this by keeping a back three…

Gordon

Hendry.     Hanley. Tierney 

patterson.                      Gilmour.                   Robertson 

Mctominay.          McGregor  

Mcginn

Dykes

I think we play better with two strikers though….

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

you could do this by keeping a back three…

Gordon

Hendry.     Hanley. Tierney 

patterson.                      Gilmour.                   Robertson 

Mctominay.          McGregor  

Mcginn

Dykes

I think we play better with two strikers though….

I’d have no problem with that selection. Adams has been decent the last couple of games but if I was to drop anyone from last nights team, it would be him. 

1 minute ago, Scot1 said:

I’d have no problem with that selection. Adams has been decent the last couple of games but if I was to drop anyone from last nights team, it would be him. 

yeah, I agree, but we seem to perform better with a 3-4-1-2 than a 3-1-5-1

Just now, Malcolm said:

yeah, I agree, but we seem to perform better with a 3-4-1-2 than a 3-1-5-1

I think as the squad becomes more settled and experienced we can switch formations depending on the opposition. We can play 3-4-1-2, 3-4-2-1 and with a back 4. 4-4-2 or even 4-3-3. I think, for example, against teams like the Faroes at Hampden with the pace we have at the back and the quality in midfield, we can afford to go 4-4-2 and try to dominate possession and territory and apply pressure. Make it really difficult for them to get out of their own half. Horses for Courses, and all that. 

I am staggered.

People wanting to alter the whole team set-up and dynamics to accommodate a player who has been generally unimpressive for us.....get real.

At present our best side is:-

Gordon

Hendry                 Hanley           Tierney

Patterson                                                                 Robertson

McGregor             Gilmour

McGinn

Dykes               Adams