Scotland v Israel - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Israel

Tartan blood

Watching the game back again for the umpteenth time today. What a night it was at Hampden. Ups and downs as we've come to expect but that ending was right up there in the top moments following Scotland. Fantastic to have a full stadium rocking again. 

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at some highlights there, the first goal is a such a well taken goal, it was harder than the chance McGinn didn't scrore with late on. Not having a go at McGinn, just that if people say he 'should' have scored it, I guess it's in the context that he'd done something harder earlier.

Lucky Gilmour wasn't injuted in the tackle that got the penalty.

Brilliant ball in from Robertson, for the Dykes goal. When he hits the ball he's ahead of Dykes, it bends round all three defenders in between.

image.png.c80541df4b9192f85aee670337368e20.png

Quite a few records tumbled too.

This is the first time in this millenia that we have won three World Cup qualifying matches back-to-back.

Lyndon Dykes became only the second man to score in three consecutive qualifying matches - the first was Mo Johnston.

John McGinn has scored ten goals at home in qualifying matches - a record for Scotland.

17 minutes ago, COLT NY said:

Interesting pictures... Could you imagine if that goal had been brought back for a tug on Zahavi's shirt?

I'd rather not.  😵

But is it not 6 of one & half a dozen of the other?

4 minutes ago, exile said:

I'd rather not.  😵

But is it not 6 of one & half a dozen of the other?

Aye.. I'm not saying it should have got pulled back. It would be incredibly harsh if it was. It's just that you never know these days how much VAR is going to interfere. I'd have been raging as much as anyone if it wasn't a goal after Israel's got theirs with the handball. 

What's also concerning is that I can now take a glance at a picture of an Israel game and know most of their player's names without having to think about it.

McGregor should be on penalties in the immediate future.

Worst thing about Dykes hitting it down the middle is that he gets no height on it. What part of the keeper's anatomy is the last to move when he dives?? His feet. That's basic analysis.

So a penalty down the middle should be at knee height as a minimum, and ideally shoulder height. 

11 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Worst thing about Dykes hitting it down the middle is that he gets no height on it. What part of the keeper's anatomy is the last to move when he dives?? His feet. That's basic analysis.

So a penalty down the middle should be at knee height as a minimum, and ideally shoulder height. 

Hopefully Dykes has learned that he can’t hit every penalty down the middle and that teams are now on to him. 

I doubt he will be stripped of penalty duties after one miss and as long as he starts mixing it up in terms of where he hits them then he should do OK. 

33 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

McGregor and McTominay both hit excellent penalties in the shoot-outs.  I'd be happy with either one of them.  Dykes was very lucky with his mishit in Austria and that one the other night was utterly lamentable - the goalie just had to stand there.  Fkin pathetic attempt.  Him continuing on penalties is a luxury we can't afford.

2 minutes ago, daviebee said:

McGregor and McTominay both hit excellent penalties in the shoot-outs.  I'd be happy with either one of them.  Dykes was very lucky with his mishit in Austria and that one the other night was utterly lamentable - the goalie just had to stand there.  Fkin pathetic attempt.  Him continuing on penalties is a luxury we can't afford.

I’m not sure if choosing our penalty taker based on two spot kicks taken a year ago is the best idea. I’m sure Dykes has hit a few good penalties in his career as well. 

Players don’t get stripped of taking penalties after having one saved. I’m pretty sure Dykes will continue to take penalties and if he scores the next few then nobody will be complaining. If he continues to hit them down the middle and he misses the next one then he should be replaced as penalty taker then. 

2 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Aye.. I'm not saying it should have got pulled back. It would be incredibly harsh if it was. It's just that you never know these days how much VAR is going to interfere. I'd have been raging as much as anyone if it wasn't a goal after Israel's got theirs with the handball. 

What's also concerning is that I can now take a glance at a picture of an Israel game and know most of their player's names without having to think about it.

Sure, I get your point. I suppose VAR could have saved us this time.

I wonder if the Israelis are groaning at the prospect of meeting Scotland yet again, or would be up for getting over over us.

On 10/9/2021 at 8:54 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Poor first half performance but great in the second half. One thing this side has is guts.

What a wee diamond Billy Gilmour is. Played some great passes and looked calm on the ball. McGinn was everywhere even though he looked knackered after an hour.

We deserved the win no doubt. Think McGinn is suspended for Faroes match though.

Wasn’t that McGinn’s first booking of the campaign? 

Lots of players on a yellow now though so we could be missing a good few players for the Moldova or Denmark games if we’re not careful over the next couple of games. 

I think the bookings carry over to the playoffs as well so if we are lucky enough to have secured a playoff (and we’re seeded) before the Denmark game Clarke may choose to rest a few players even though that could result in a doing for us. 

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Lots of players on a yellow now though so we could be missing a good few players for the Moldova or Denmark games if we’re not careful over the next couple of games. 

I think the bookings carry over to the playoffs as well so if we are lucky enough to have secured a playoff (and we’re seeded) before the Denmark game Clarke may choose to rest a few players even though that could result in a doing for us. 

If we can beat Faroes and Moldova then maybe one or two should make a few yellow card tackles late in the Moldova game.

2 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

If we can beat Faroes and Moldova then maybe one or two should make a few yellow card tackles late in the Moldova game.

...Or we could just not select them for Denmark if we've already guaranteed a seeding in the playoff. 

I'm surprised if suspensions are carrying into the playoffs. Seems like an unnecessary rule.

10 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not sure if choosing our penalty taker based on two spot kicks taken a year ago is the best idea. I’m sure Dykes has hit a few good penalties in his career as well. 

Players don’t get stripped of taking penalties after having one saved. I’m pretty sure Dykes will continue to take penalties and if he scores the next few then nobody will be complaining. If he continues to hit them down the middle and he misses the next one then he should be replaced as penalty taker then. 

Well maybe he could take them kung fu style.  😄

10 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Back pages this morning suggest otherwise. 

1 hour ago, shaggycoo said:

Back pages this morning suggest otherwise. 

Clarke was clearly joking and they’ve jumped on it. 

Will be interesting to see who does take the next one. Might not be for a couple of years right enough. 

Edited by Texas Pete

13 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Yes spot on it was McGinn's first booking of the campaign so he is all good for tomorrow night. Several players on yellow cards for us now such as McGinn, Dykes, Patterson, Robertson, Gilmour and a few more no doubt.