Scotland v Israel - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Israel

Tartan blood

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched the game, we were amazing. Maybe Im emotional but that was my favorite match Ive ever watched. Im.so happy for all of us and a happy birthday to me. Nathan Patterson is amazing, might be my new favorite Scottish player. 

Edited by romanticscot

19 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I just watched the game, we were amazing. Maybe Im emotional but that was my favorite match Ive ever watched. Im.so happy for all of us and a happy birthday to me. Nathan Patterson is amazing, might be my new favorite Scottish player. 

Lol glad to hear it buddy, good times. 

A good second half performance and delighted with the win. Some of the things I was seeing in the first half astounded me. Clarke makes some baffling decisions. McTominay taking corners, Dykes on long throws, no high press when playing two strikers allied to having lightning quick defenders sitting deep - and worst of all players not believing in themselves. Anyway he turned it around but I don’t know why it needs to be so difficult. 

24 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

A good second half performance and delighted with the win. Some of the things I was seeing in the first half astounded me. Clarke makes some baffling decisions. McTominay taking corners, Dykes on long throws, no high press when playing two strikers allied to having lightning quick defenders sitting deep - and worst of all players not believing in themselves. Anyway he turned it around but I don’t know why it needs to be so difficult. 

Maybe the players need to take some of the blame for the first half. Also we weren't that bad in the first half, still had majority of possession and created more chances than them. Just a brilliant free kick and some poor defending caused us to be 2-1 down.

I think Hanley coming back into defence should make us more solid again. 

Second half we were brilliant and really dominated them and deserved our win. 

Clarke deserves alot of praise and has made us a decent side. Improvements can be made but so far it's looking good. 

Just waking up to this. I kindly got offered tickets for the game but had to decline them as we're flitting on Monday and my wife would have been less than impressed/killed me/divorced me.

Saw a couple of tweets early on which didn't give details but suggested things weren't going well.  Thought I'd spare  myself the agony of following it and didn't check the score til now.

Great result and there seems to be a growing self belief and resilience amongst the players. Job nowhere near finished but hopefully no complacency and get the points in the next two games.

7 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I really can't disagree with that. I can't think of a better game of football, and I was honestly thinking that even before McTominay scored the 93rd minute goal. It had absolutely everything. If I was trying to convince someone to get into football, I'd show them this game.

That was probably one of the best nights I've had at Hampden for a long time. First half we were far from good but sorted it out at half time and the second 45 we pummeled Israel. The stadium was absolutely buzzing from minute one, got to keep it going on Tuesday night now.

12 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

WOW, what a second half!

The turnout from the first 45 was truly unbelievable. Patterson, Dykes, and McGinn all basically turned in zero to hero performances, especially Paterson who had a pretty poor first half, he really had a brilliant second half, what a talent.

McGregor had a brilliant game, outstanding. Robertson and Tierney were both excellent. Adams has some moments and is a great addition to the squad, but he needs four chances for every goal. Dykes is well, his own man, he alone has me going from despair to joy and that was just his performance tonight.

What a spirit, comeback and performance really. That second half was the best I've seen us play in a LONG, LONG time, possibly since that 3-1 win over Kazakhstan. Also, the gallus nature of the team, the fighting spirit, that was a HUGE win tonight and that many Scotland teams would never have achieved, it would have ended 2-2.

Now, on to Torshavn. 1/2-0 would be fine. They are a very decent side, the best of the minnows IMO, and even if Israel beat them well, I'll honestly take a 1-0 right now for us and a meh performance.

Well done everyone in a blue shirt tonight. FANTASTIC.

When I read that I thought you meant Ukraine in 2007?

That match sticks in my memory for the feelgood factor, the sense we were playing well and getting rewarded for it, a rare case when we scored early and could enjoy the match, the nearest you'd get to thinking we were going to win (in a meaningful match against a serious rival). 

Obviously last night different as chasing the game but the sense of playing well and wanting more, believing we could get a winning goal, and Hampden bouncing. 

Edited by exile

14 hours ago, runningtings said:

Great second half performance and I'm especially pleased to get it up those Israel players, faking injury and playing for time in the first half. Fannies.

I'd be happy not play those cheating bastards again this decade.  Ref was buying it and all - how he originally ruled out Dykes goal because their defender diving headed at waist height into his leg is beyond me.  Their player gesturing for their physio to urgently get on like it was a serious injury too was absolutely disgusting. 

Edited by ThistleWhistle

8 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Were you thinking that at half time? 😉

Good quote from Tom English about Dykes and his penalty taking…

What was it about Dykes' penalty-taking that made Ofir Marciano stand his ground and make an easy save as the striker attempted to drill it down the middle? 

Was it the penalty that Dykes put down the middle against Austria last month? Or the one he put down the middle for QPR against Rotherham last November? Or the one he put down the middle against Coventry last September?

3 minutes ago, JandC said:

What was it about Dykes' penalty-taking that made Ofir Marciano stand his ground and make an easy save as the striker attempted to drill it down the middle? 

Was it the penalty that Dykes put down the middle against Austria last month? Or the one he put down the middle for QPR against Rotherham last November? Or the one he put down the middle against Coventry last September?

Did he score all the other ones?

9 minutes ago, JandC said:

Israel ALWAYS do their homework against us. They generally have us sussed. So knowing where Dykes would put a penalty would be the absolute minimum amount of research. Even Marciano alone could have googled it 30 seconds before kickoff.

I'd have McGinn on penalties. He's 2 goals away from being in the top 10 goalscorers of all time.

51 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I'd be happy not play those cheating bastards again this decade.  Ref was buying it and all - how he originally ruled out Dykes goal because their defender diving headed at waist height into his leg is beyond me.  Their player gesturing for their physio to urgently get on like it was a serious injury too was absolutely disgusting. 

Absolutely, thought they were at it at the time but having now seen the highlights I'm even more happy we beat the cheating bastards.

There was a buzz from the get go yesterday, passed lots of busses heading down from the north which I haven’t seen in ages (granted covids a lot to play in that) arrived in the hotel to a lots of supporters. We then got a seat in george square had some food,beers and people watched. It was brilliant when a train load came out and all the singing began again, the bairns loved it. The first half was stressful to say the least. The second half, well we all know it was brilliant. A real emotion rollercoaster. It felt like we were back after some poor teams and the covid saga. Yes we are not the complete team yet however the potential is there. I really enjoyed that yesterday 

18 hours ago, HighlandScot said:

How did VAR not pick up hand ball by the no 8? But we have to stop giving away these needless free-kicks in dangerous positions.

The rule on that was amended before the start of the season. Now accidental handballs in the build-up to goals are only penalised if it was the goalscorer involved in said accidental handball. Last season VAR would have ruled out that goal, this season not so.

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Maybe the players need to take some of the blame for the first half. Also we weren't that bad in the first half, still had majority of possession and created more chances than them. Just a brilliant free kick and some poor defending caused us to be 2-1 down.

I think Hanley coming back into defence should make us more solid again. 

Second half we were brilliant and really dominated them and deserved our win. 

Clarke deserves alot of praise and has made us a decent side. Improvements can be made but so far it's looking good. 

Correct.

Two stupid leaping in fouls near the box and one of the worst on target penalties I’ve ever seen.

Hard for Clarke to be responsible for them.

J

17 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Fair play to Dykes for making up for his mistake. Just make sure he doesn't take pens from now on. 

Why var was needed to check that goal is a mystery to me. 

The referee disallowed the goal on the field. VAR checks all major incidents in a game. Worked well in the instance yesterday and when he saw his mistake he awarded the goal. Good example of VAR working well.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Israel ALWAYS do their homework against us. They generally have us sussed. So knowing where Dykes would put a penalty would be the absolute minimum amount of research. Even Marciano alone could have googled it 30 seconds before kickoff.

I'd have McGinn on penalties. He's 2 goals away from being in the top 10 goalscorers of all time.

See the Kajer penalty v Moldova? That’s how it’s done Lyndon. Have confidence. You are a professional footballer. 

J

4 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

The rule on that was amended before the start of the season. Now accidental handballs in the build-up to goals are only penalised if it was the goalscorer involved in said accidental handball. Last season VAR would have ruled out that goal, this season not so.

If that’s correct then it’s a crazy rule. If he hadnt blatantly handled it, they wouldn’t have scored