Tino Livramento - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tino Livramento

Eassy

From having slim pickings at right back to having some cracking potential options…

Tino Livramento of Southampton revealing today he is eligible for Scotland.. been very impressed with him this season and is only 18, won’t be anywhere near a call up for England given their options at right back.

Could have Patterson, Ramsay and Livramento to choose from soon, add in Hickey who can play both sides and Ashby on the way through at West Ham and it looks very promising.

apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, couldn’t see it.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is eligible for Portugal aswell. It seems it's his mum pushing for him to represent us.

Whatever he decides I wish him well. It isn't easy deciding who you are when you have 3 different cultures in your life.

On the note of playing time. Despite his talent he isn't very likely to get many caps if any for England. They have a ridiculous volume of RBs under the age of 23. TAA, James, Aarons, Lamperty, etc

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

He is eligible for Portugal aswell. It seems it's his mum pushing for him to represent us.

Whatever he decides I wish him well. It isn't easy deciding who you are when you have 3 different cultures in your life.

On the note of playing time. Despite his talent he isn't very likely to get many caps if any for England. They have a ridiculous volume of RBs under the age of 23. TAA, James, Aarons, Lamperty, etc

Aye seen that right enough, you’d think if we moved early enough we’d have more of a chance, he’s well worth pursuing from what I’ve seen, good enough for Chelsea to have a buy back option on him.

Looks like he is English.  If he wanted to play for Scotland he would have done years ago.

im still in favour of nailing your colours to the mast and declaring your nationality (from within the rules) upon first professional contract.  Stop all this dicking about.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Looks like he is English.  If he wanted to play for Scotland he would have done years ago.

im still in favour of nailing your colours to the mast and declaring your nationality (from within the rules) upon first professional contract.  Stop all this dicking about.

Years ago??  He's only 18!

Unfortunately the rest of international football doesn't think like that, which is why Northern Ireland play Matthew Kennedy (over 40 caps at age group level for Scotland) and PIAK's adopted country, Australia, field Martin Boyle and Harry Souttar - two players who might otherwise be starting for Scotland this afternoon.  When you're in a competitive situation it's stupid to deliberately limit your options and hinder yourself unnecessarily.

I think with Aaron Hickey already a regular in Serie A and Nathan Patterson and Calvin Ramsay emerging though we won't be short of options at right-back anyway in the longer term.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Unfortunately the rest of international football doesn't think like that, which is why Northern Ireland play Matthew Kennedy (over 40 caps at age group level for Scotland) and PIAK's adopted country, Australia, field Martin Boyle and Harry Souttar - two players who might otherwise be starting for Scotland this afternoon.  When you're in a competitive situation it's stupid to deliberately limit your options and hinder yourself unnecessarily.

I think with Aaron Hickey already a regular in Serie A and Nathan Patterson and Calvin Ramsay emerging though we won't be short of options at right-back anyway in the longer term.

im not disagreeing that we need to play the system to be competitive, my point being is that the system is nonsense.  You know which nationality you consider yourself by the time you are 16. You commit at that stage and if you are good enough you are selected. None of this playing for second choice.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Good Post. Incredible that some Scotland fans think we are good enough to play only born & bred Scots. Stupid not to take advantage of the rules that every other nation uses without hesitation. I bet ROI supporters don't debate but embrace any player that is eligible to commit to their cause as they know what a difference it can make to a small nation. (6 major tournaments in 30 odd years) 

In this players case he could become a special talent, this lad not our Billy was last seasons Chelsea under 23 player of the year at 18. From what I've read he could comfortably play various positions. 

Scottish mother, Portuguese father, born in England, to me that makes him as much Scottish as English so if he wanted to switch I'd be very excited to have him..

I guess it's highly unlikely to happen as England seem to rate him extremely highly & he has been in their system for years, they won't let him go easily so it would take some serious persuasion from his mother to change this anytime soon. 

He's had a very good start at Southampton and yes one of the weaker positions with available options. Hopefully Che has had a good word as looks like he's enjoyed the set up very much since committing this time last year.

Don't really understand why Hickey hasn't made the squad, surely a must to get him involved next month given he looks like he's kicking on at Bologna?

Edited by Tartan Chris

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

A Scottish mum and a Portuguese dad. 

9 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Good Post. Incredible that some Scotland fans think we are good enough to play only born & bred Scots. Stupid not to take advantage of the rules that every other nation uses without hesitation. I bet ROI supporters don't debate but embrace any player that is eligible to commit to their cause as they know what a difference it can make to a small nation. (6 major tournaments in 30 odd years) 

In this players case he could become a special talent, this lad not our Billy was last seasons Chelsea under 23 player of the year at 18. From what I've read he could comfortably play various positions. 

Scottish mother, Portuguese father, born in England, to me that makes him as much Scottish as English so if he wanted to switch I'd be very excited to have him..

I guess it's highly unlikely to happen as England seem to rate him extremely highly & he has been in their system for years, they won't let him go easily so it would take some serious persuasion from his mother to change this anytime soon. 

I don’t think many people these days advocates that, more just picking players who see Scotland as their first pick. 

Even then, the rules are what they are, if he later decided to play for us he’d be mostly welcomed. 

20 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Is he Scottish? simple question. It's not about accents or where you are born, it's about what your nationality is, if he's Scottish then aye great.

Born in England to a Portuguese father and Scottish mother.  Has also represented england right up to U21 level.

21 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Is he Scottish? simple question. It's not about accents or where you are born, it's about what your nationality is, if he's Scottish then aye great.

A simple question doesn't always have a simple answer. He is Scottish, Portuguese and English. Whatever he wants to be. 

On 10/9/2021 at 2:58 PM, Tartan Chris said:

He's had a very good start at Southampton and yes one of the weaker positions with available options. Hopefully Che has had a good word as looks like he's enjoyed the set up very much since committing this time last year.

Don't really understand why Hickey hasn't made the squad, surely a must to get him involved next month given he looks like he's kicking on at Bologna?

He’s rejecting call upsfor the u-21’s, pulling out injured on more than one occasion. It’s a no thanks for me. 

16 hours ago, dandydunn said:

He’s rejecting call upsfor the u-21’s, pulling out injured on more than one occasion. It’s a no thanks for me. 

McTominay rejected call ups for years is it a no thanks on him too?

Get a grip. Hickey has a knock and played in a development game.

7 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

McTominay rejected call ups for years is it a no thanks on him too?

Get a grip. Hickey has a knock and played in a development game.

In fairness to McTominay though he never represented another country in the interim like Livramento has and has done for several years too.

Call me old-fashioned and an idealist if you want but I believe you know your nationality and that remains the case throughout life. Nationality is not interchangeable by trivial matters like lack of opportunities for your preferred nation. You make your bed and you lie in it.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

In fairness to McTominay though he never represented another country in the interim like Livramento has and has done for several years too.

Call me old-fashioned and an idealist if you want but I believe you know your nationality and that remains the case throughout life. Nationality is not interchangeable by trivial matters like lack of opportunities for your preferred nation. You make your bed and you lie in it.

You realise there’s such a thing as dual nationality? I am 100% Scottish (more or less) so I have never had to think about it but if my dad was Portuguese or English or whatever then I’d need to make a decision on who to play for if I was a footballer.

Dykes had to make a choice. It’s not always as black and white as you have suggested. 

31 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You realise there’s such a thing as dual nationality? I am 100% Scottish (more or less) so I have never had to think about it but if my dad was Portuguese or English or whatever then I’d need to make a decision on who to play for if I was a footballer.

Dykes had to make a choice. It’s not always as black and white as you have suggested. 

I am talking about how the individual feels. Now, as I said earlier, I may be a traditionalist or idealist but as a person you know where your heart is. You know when watching World Cups as a boy and who you root for and ache and crave to win. That goes with you throughout life whoever you are. And the fact he was born in England and has been representing England for a few years says it all. There is no Scottish in his heart. I'd be surprised if he has even set foot on Scottish soil in his life.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

I am talking about how the individual feels. Now, as I said earlier, I may be a traditionalist or idealist but as a person you know where your heart is. You know when watching World Cups as a boy and who you root for and ache and crave to win. That goes with you throughout life whoever you are. And the fact he was born in England and has been representing England for a few years says it all. There is no Scottish in his heart. I'd be surprised if he has even set foot on Scottish soil in his life.

This. 

All day long. 

No one should be taking in their first visit to a country for an international call up.