Throwback thread - When are we due a new home Jersey? - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Throwback thread - When are we due a new home Jersey?

romanticscot

11 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I see. Since we didn’t qualify, I’m not sure that’s an excuse. I don’t remember this being explained at the time either.

The kit was probably designed months in advance (football kits take 18 months to go from concept to hitting the shops), and probably a money grab given we had qualified for the last Euros and on the back of the World Cup.

Given it was effectively sold out after a week in larger sizes, I do not think stocks were high and it was going to have a long period of use.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

I was going to comment negatively on the SFA promo video but i thought to myself that after the abuse they take every new strip they would surely surprise us this time 

They are a fucking amateur joke

What because of the video or the kits? We are not in a top category contract with adidas but I’d still take the lower rung contract than any other manufacturer barring say Umbro. The rest are just horrendous and a complete irrelevance imo. You’ll be grateful when we probably end up with macron within a couple of years🤣

1 minute ago, JECK said:

What because of the video or the kits? We are not in a top category contract with adidas but I’d still take the lower rung contract than any other manufacturer barring say Umbro. The rest are just horrendous and a complete irrelevance imo. You’ll be grateful when we probably end up with macron within a couple of years🤣

Agree.

Just look at all the Puma kits which seem to have this strange design on the stomach area, that unless you get a front shirt number in it, just looks horrible on its own.

Even Nike have went massively down hill of late (England fans are not happy their new kit is basically a training kit design that they had a few years ago... but their 1990 influenced Red away kit is expected to sell like hot cakes)

44 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Northern Ireland and Wales kits now launched.

Both NI kits are VERY meh...

Wales looks like the opposite of us, ALL the details went into the away kit, with a very bland and off the peg home kit.

I see NI home is a completely random template that don’t think anyone else has. I’m sure someone mentioned they were signing with macron. I actually like the wales home effort up close, a lot of Welsh seem to have similar complaints to here. That’s the lower rung/JD contract effect I suppose. Wonder if there will be any mention of what’s happening with that in the press releases.

Just now, wanderer said:

Agree.

Just look at all the Puma kits which seem to have this strange design on the stomach area, that unless you get a front shirt number in it, just looks horrible on its own.

Even Nike have went massively down hill of late (England fans are not happy their new kit is basically a training kit design that they had a few years ago... but their 1990 influenced Red away kit is expected to sell like hot cakes)

It’s funny, with England winning the WC in red, it guarantees nostalgia sales in perpetuity. The closer to 1966 aesthetic the better for the fans. Easy money spinner. England fans get narked when their away top ISNT red.

White is a bit meh to me. We use it so often. Why haven’t we had red since the 1980s?

J

3 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

It’s funny, with England winning the WC in red, it guarantees nostalgia sales in perpetuity. The closer to 1966 aesthetic the better for the fans. Easy money spinner. England fans get narked when their away top ISNT red.

White is a bit meh to me. We use it so often. Why haven’t we had red since the 1980s?

J

The England 1990 Red WC has developed something of a cult following in recent years (most actually put it down to Jay wearing it in the Inbetweeners movie) and has been a big seller on the retro market sales of late (Umbro even re-released it).

I suspect the reason we have not had red will be FIFA kit rules that your home and away kits must be different tones (ie we have a dark home, so need to have a light away kit)... with the odd exceptions here and there, our away kits have been around 90% of the time white.... its just a case of how we tart it up so that the first thing people say is not "that is just a England kit with a Scotland badge).

Ah well. Looks like i will need to stick to the 80s and 90s shirts. Absolutely nothing about these two pish poor efforts that would make we want to wear either of them. As somebody said the away shirt looks like a training shirt. It' s not that they are hideously bad but they are so f.. king BLAND it's almost worse than being off the wall bad. Whoever came up with these two efforts deserves a swift kick up the arse. 

7 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Ah well. Looks like i will need to stick to the 80s and 90s shirts. Absolutely nothing about these two pish poor efforts that would make we want to wear either of them. As somebody said the away shirt looks like a training shirt. It' s not that they are hideously bad but they are so f.. king BLAND it's almost worse than being off the wall bad. Whoever came up with these two efforts deserves a swift kick up the arse. 

Can't say the away shorts are bland. They are off the wall bad! You do wonder whether they actually want to see these kits, they really are pretty uninspiring.

1 minute ago, Hertsscot said:

Can't say the away shorts are bland. They are off the wall bad! You do wonder whether they actually want to see these kits, they really are pretty uninspiring.

I would be surprised if we wore the blue shorts a lot of the time when we wear the that shirt (the home shorts have been clearly done in a way that they can be switched between the home and away kit) as there was pink shorts made (and actually sold) for the pink and black Adidas away kit, and we never wore them.

Just another thing on the mostly white away top, why do so many get up tight about it? “It looks like and England top” etc. we’re more than entitled - obviously comes from the St. Andrew’s Cross and we have used it historically on many occasions. Why do England play in predominantly dark blue shorts is what folk should be asking, Where exactly does that come from, pri*ks

Ireland, Italy, France (and loads others) often have a white away kit, not uncommon for those countries to have a rivalry with England of course

Nothing wrong with a white away kit.  We've had them from before the 1970's and the Rugby team seem to have a white away kit by default.

I was kind of hoping for a red kit, though, as we haven't seen one of those for a while.

By the way, for anyone buying the new kit,  be aware that the new shirts are described as 'slim fit', whilst JD Sports describe the old shirt as 'standard fit'.   

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I think both kits are smart. Prefer plain and simple to stupid wacky designs.

No red socks either, which is a bonus. 👍

What's the hatred with the red socks? I'm pretty sure Scotland always had red socks when I was growing up and we actually qualified for World Cups.

8 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

What's the hatred with the red socks? I'm pretty sure Scotland always had red socks when I was growing up and we actually qualified for World Cups.

Indeed

If it is not red socks then it is not a true Scotland strip - white or blue socks look shite

The 1978 Dark Blue Top, Dark Blue Shorts and Red Socks was class - albeit we got pumped by Peru in it

3 hours ago, Jamesie Cotter said:

Nothing wrong with a white away kit.  We've had them from before the 1970's and the Rugby team seem to have a white away kit by default.

I was kind of hoping for a red kit, though, as we haven't seen one of those for a while.

By the way, for anyone buying the new kit,  be aware that the new shirts are described as 'slim fit', whilst JD Sports describe the old shirt as 'standard fit'.   

Rubbish! Just bought one of each in my normal XL. 

Why oh why to they fanny about with sizing?

J

4 hours ago, Hertsscot said:
4 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Indeed

If it is not red socks then it is not a true Scotland strip - white or blue socks look shite

The 1978 Dark Blue Top, Dark Blue Shorts and Red Socks was class - albeit we got pumped by Peru in it

Is there anything on paper that says we have to wear red socks ? No, there isn't.

A growing number of fans in recent years detest the red socks and want to be rid of them.

Some "traditions" are for the bin. The red socks being one of them.

Are there any of the Thai / Far East companies that produce replica fakes (such as DHGATE) with the correct strip design on sale yet? If you read the SSC email, you only get the discount with JD SPORTS if you install JD Sports APP not on the web-site. I ain't having a JD Sports APP so I'll get myself a fake one I think. Cannot stand JD Sports and the way access to official Scotland gear is so restricted and poorly managed. I'll get a £15 fake when it is available rather than £65.

6 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Is there anything on paper that says we have to wear red socks ? No, there isn't.

A growing number of fans in recent years detest the red socks and want to be rid of them.

Going back to the 60s (before my time), looks like we had black socks with red tops. I'm guessing a sector if our support wouldn't be too keen on those either!

18 hours ago, CraigieBrown said:

Are there any of the Thai / Far East companies that produce replica fakes (such as DHGATE) with the correct strip design on sale yet? If you read the SSC email, you only get the discount with JD SPORTS if you install JD Sports APP not on the web-site. I ain't having a JD Sports APP so I'll get myself a fake one I think. Cannot stand JD Sports and the way access to official Scotland gear is so restricted and poorly managed. I'll get a £15 fake when it is available rather than £65.

A couple of DH Gate sellers have it but stating delivery won’t be till October/November.

8 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

A couple of DH Gate sellers have it but stating delivery won’t be till October/November.

I've bought from DH Gate numerous times but never again for myself. Can't fault the quality but the sizes are too small. I normally wear an xxl but it was too small but perfect for my mate who wears a medium normally.

Edited by romanticscot

21 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Is that you or is there an official poll ?

1954 WC - Red Socks

1974 WC - Red Socks

1978 WC - Red Socks

1982 WC - Red Socks

1986 WC - Red Socks

1990 WC - Red Socks

1998 WC - Red Socks