VERY HARD TO FIT THEM ALL IN BUT HERES MY STARTING 11 FOR SAT - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

VERY HARD TO FIT THEM ALL IN BUT HERES MY STARTING 11 FOR SAT

ST6's-t-army

Gordon         

Cooper Henry Tierney

SOD                                                  Robbo

Gilmore     McTominay

McGregor

McGinn

McDikes

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, ST6's-t-army said:

Gordon         

Cooper Henry Tierney

SOD                                                  Robbo

Gilmore     McTominay

McGregor

McGinn

McDikes

think it’s more likely Hendry will play right side of a back three with Cooper central.  I also think he may go two up top with Adams and dykes, Mcginn in behind.  Toss up between mcgregor and gilmour if Mctominay plays midfield which I hope he does.

Gordon 

Hendry  McKenna  Tierney 

O'Donnell                            Robertson 

Gilmour  McTominay McGregor 

McGinn 

Dykes 

I'd sooner Christie was played in place of Adams. If we look at the kind of strikers to cause Israel problems it is the supporting striker. Forrest scored a hat-trick in that role, Fraser scored in that role in the away match in this group and Christie scored against Israel last year in that position. No goals from the centre-forward types.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'd sooner Christie was played in place of Adams. If we look at the kind of strikers to cause Israel problems it is the supporting striker. Forrest scored a hat-trick in that role, Fraser scored in that role in the away match in this group and Christie scored against Israel last year in that position. No goals from the centre-forward types.

Plus, let's face it, Adams just isn't very good. Loads of folk still buying the EPL hype on him, despite him doing very little in Scotland games that count. 

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Plus, let's face it, Adams just isn't very good. Loads of folk still buying the EPL hype on him, despite him doing very little in Scotland games that count. 

I see you've picked McKenna. I haven't seen much of him at Forest, how's he getting on? I would worry Zahavi might be too smart for him. 🤔

For me the team will be:-

Gordon

McTominay           Hendry                Tierney

O'Donnell                                                                                                                                          Robertson

Gilmour                         McGregor       

McGinn   

Dykes                           Christie  

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

think it’s more likely Hendry will play right side of a back three with Cooper central.  I also think he may go two up top with Adams and dykes, Mcginn in behind.  Toss up between mcgregor and gilmour if Mctominay plays midfield which I hope he does.

Are you suggesting Billy Gilmour isn't a guaranteed starter ? My own opinion is if fit hes our best midfielder and automatic starter..

46 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

A fair point but Christie's finishing is honking at times.

37 minutes ago, slasher said:

I see you've picked McKenna. I haven't seen much of him at Forest, how's he getting on? I would worry Zahavi might be too smart for him. 🤔

Doing well this season by all accounts. A good replacement for Hanley. A very similar defender.
His biggest attribute though is that he's not the utterly abysmal Liam Cooper. 

18 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

A fair point but Christie's finishing is honking at times.

The whole team's finishing is honking - that is undeniable.

The point is the supporting striker has had more success (much more) V Israel than out out-and-out strikers so it makes perfect sense to not go with two central striker-types.

32 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He was very good against Austria.

Stephen Caldwell had some decent games for Scotland. He was a similar level player to Cooper. 

2 hours ago, Lawrie74 said:

Are you suggesting Billy Gilmour isn't a guaranteed starter ? My own opinion is if fit hes our best midfielder and automatic starter..

I don’t think he is. He is currently an unused sub behind Kenny McLean at Norwich.  No doubting he is talented but talent, form and effectiveness don’t always go together.

2 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Our 5 best players (IMO) who should always start are in this order:

Robertson, Gilmour, Tierney, McGinn, McTominay

It doesn't make a lot of sense to have 3 of that 5 in unnatural positions.  McTominay should be kept out of the defence.

I'd add Hanley and Gordon to the list of "must starts". (Yes, I know Hanley is suspended)

McTominay was only ever meant to be a stop gap in defence. We no longer need him there. Get him back in midfield where he belongs. But he needs to cut out his tendency to wander up the park randomly when playing in midfield. We need him to hold his position.

13 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'd add Hanley and Gordon to the list of "must starts". (Yes, I know Hanley is suspended)

McTominay was only ever meant to be a stop gap in defence. We no longer need him there. Get him back in midfield where he belongs. But he needs to cut out his tendency to wander up the park randomly when playing in midfield. We need him to hold his position.

I was thinking more of the guys that have that wee bit extra about them, but aye - Gordon and Hanley should be starters at the moment when available.  If Jack Hendry keeps performing the way he's been doing at Brugges then you can add him in there as well.

Rewind a few years and we were thinking we'd have to try and develop the Bates-McKenna partnership and couldn't move to 3 at the back cos we'd nobody else!  (No disrespect to Scott McKenna as I've no fears about him being in the side.)

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

I was thinking more of the guys that have that wee bit extra about them, but aye - Gordon and Hanley should be starters at the moment when available.  If Jack Hendry keeps performing the way he's been doing at Brugges then you can add him in there as well.

Rewind a few years and we were thinking we'd have to try and develop the Bates-McKenna partnership and couldn't move to 3 at the back cos we'd nobody else!  (No disrespect to Scott McKenna as I've no fears about him being in the side.)

Yeah, I know what you mean. When Marshall is playing regularly again, the debate reopens about who is in goals.

I've actually always thought Hanley had something special about him. I never bought into the bombscare narrative. Same goes for Hendry. I think Celtic were a bit too eager to offload him.

McKenna, Souttar and Hendry were the 3 that were marked out to be the future of Scotland's defence, and it's starting to look like that may come true. *fingers crossed*