La Palma Volcano - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

La Palma Volcano

I've spent a fair bit of time on this beautiful but very poor island as I have family who live there (now evacuated to Tenerife). Hopefully they still have a house to go back to when the eruption is over but there's no telling when this will end or how much devastation it will leave behind. 

Anyway, when it is all over I would urge anyone who frequents the Canaries to pay it a visit and try and help this place back on its feet. It truly is one of the most stunning and unspoilt places I've been to in Europe. You can get a boat over from Los Cristianos or a short 20 minute Binter flight from North Tenerife. The only direct flights from the UK are with TUI from Manchester at the moment. 👍

I've never been. Been watching the eruption online. Something I'd love to see in person.

I'd also wanted to experience an earthquake. My mate took me to the San Andreas fault line in California, nothing.

Then two years ago I was in Japan, second night in Tokyo and the hotel started swaying, just before that I had a strange feeling in my ears, such a strange experience.

The Japanese folk didn't bat an eyelid

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/8227542/tokyo-earthquake-what-was-the-magnitude-was-anyone-hurt-and-is-it-safe-to-travel-there-now/amp/

I also went to Kagoshima and watched smoke billowing from sakurojima but no lava.

2 hours ago, chaff said:

I'd also wanted to experience an earthquake. My mate took me to the San Andreas fault line in California, nothing.

OK, closest I've been to your experiences was in a Californian basement (an expansive manufacturing centre and well lit;  don't get creepy).   I heard a noise like somebody tipped a fridge over (Coke machine?).   A guy ran under a door lintel, but everybody else just froze.   That was it.

Jeez, I've gone Raymond Chandler.   Where is Lauren Bacall when you need her?   🥰

7 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

OK, closest I've been to your experiences was in a Californian basement (an expansive manufacturing centre and well lit;  don't get creepy).   I heard a noise like somebody tipped a fridge over (Coke machine?).   A guy ran under a door lintel, but everybody else just froze.   That was it.

Jeez, I've gone Raymond Chandler.   Where is Lauren Bacall when you need her?   🥰

i was disappointed nothing happened in California. Now about that sex dungeon you were in.....

12 hours ago, chaff said:

I've never been. Been watching the eruption online. Something I'd love to see in person.

Then two years ago I was in Japan, second night in Tokyo and the hotel started swaying, just before that I had a strange feeling in my ears, such a strange experience.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/8227542/tokyo-earthquake-what-was-the-magnitude-was-anyone-hurt-and-is-it-safe-to-travel-there-now/amp/

I also went to Kagoshima and watched smoke billowing from sakurojima but no lava.

Christ Chaff, travel with you must be a blast! :)

On 10/6/2021 at 7:32 PM, chaff said:

My family were 3.5 km away just outside the exclusion zone. They said that the worst thing were the constant explosions during the night. Although their house isn't currently in the path of the lava that could change as new fissures open up. Re the earthquakes, most of them were between 2.5 & 3.5 on the Richter scale. The higher end of that would be enough to wake you up during the night and maybe shake the house. There was one when we were there a few years ago around 2.7........I didn't feel anything tbh. 

Some of the videos they've put on the family chat are quite spectacular and there are many more online. One of them shows the church they got married in being swept away. I can understand people wanting to see this whilst it's active but it's all desperately sad for those who live there. 

I think the airport was shut for a while but has now reopened. 

On 10/8/2021 at 9:30 AM, slasher said:

My family were 3.5 km away just outside the exclusion zone. They said that the worst thing were the constant explosions during the night. Although their house isn't currently in the path of the lava that could change as new fissures open up. Re the earthquakes, most of them were between 2.5 & 3.5 on the Richter scale. The higher end of that would be enough to wake you up during the night and maybe shake the house. There was one when we were there a few years ago around 2.7........I didn't feel anything tbh. 

Some of the videos they've put on the family chat are quite spectacular and there are many more online. One of them shows the church they got married in being swept away. I can understand people wanting to see this whilst it's active but it's all desperately sad for those who live there. 

I think the airport was shut for a while but has now reopened. 

I don't mean to be that 'that guy' but I'm going to be him for a minute and say that we don't use the Richter scale to measure Earthquakes anymore, we use something called moment magnitude which is close enough to the same thing.

I hope your family are ok.

On 10/9/2021 at 8:29 PM, Freeedom said:

I don't mean to be that 'that guy' but I'm going to be him for a minute and say that we don't use the Richter scale to measure Earthquakes anymore, we use something called moment magnitude which is close enough to the same thing.

I hope your family are ok.

That's OK m8, don't mind being corrected factually, fair play. 

The family are safe and sound in the UK now. Meanwhile the volcano is going off its chump so who knows what they will be returning to.