Caulker - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Caulker

csinclair

1 hour ago, todd said:

I do apologise, 10 then, that's much much better

I didn’t say it was much better. Your statement was just inaccurate. Particularly on a day where Rangers started 2 Scots.

Sadly it’s not Rangers (or Celtic for that matter) job to play Scots. They will sign and play the players they feel are going to win them the league. 

Both clubs do develop lots of young Scots in their academies. If those players don’t progress through to the senior team then there’s not much the managers of those clubs can do.

Gerrard or Postecoglou (or any manager in the Premiership for that matter) have no real interest in how the Scottish National team do. All they care about is their clubs winning. 

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Bigger problem is the other ten ten teams doing the same to stay in the league.

Yeah fair point. Lots of foreigners at most other premiership clubs. It’s been a big problem since the 90s. 

I think the main problem is a lack of talent coming through though. If enough young Scots that were good enough were coming through there would be no need to bring in foreigners. Clubs cutting down on youth teams or doing away with them altogether isn’t going to improve the situation either. 

4 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I didn’t say it was much better. Your statement was just inaccurate. Particularly on a day where Rangers started 2 Scots.

Sadly it’s not Rangers (or Celtic for that matter) job to play Scots. They will sign and play the players they feel are going to win them the league. 

Both clubs do develop lots of young Scots in their academies. If those players don’t progress through to the senior team then there’s not much the managers of those clubs can do.

Gerrard or Postecoglou (or any manager in the Premiership for that matter) have no real interest in how the Scottish National team do. All they care about is their clubs winning. 

I know all that, the point I was making was in response to how much of a farce international football is.  Is club football any less of a farce? May as well go to the American football system where it's a franchise as, let's face it, the name of the town/city the players are representing is of little relevance.

Edited by todd

It isn’t a farce….. far from it. May as well go to the American franchise system?!?! It’s a purer football as your country is only as good as the players it has. Of course there are few farcical situations like adams or rice but by and large it’s much ‘purer’.

Edited by ger intae them

3 hours ago, todd said:

I know all that, the point I was making was in response to how much of a farce international football is.  Is club football any less of a farce? May as well go to the American football system where it's a franchise as, let's face it, the name of the town/city the players are representing is of little relevance.

The days when club players represented a town or city are long gone I’m afraid. It’s hardly a farce though. 

On 10/4/2021 at 10:42 AM, Texas Pete said:

What’s your point? That’s not 11 is it?

On 10/4/2021 at 10:42 AM, Texas Pete said:

What’s your point? That’s not 11 is i

On the phone, so apologise for quoting you twice. 

My point really is who cares how Rangers do in Europe or at home, when they're don't even play Scottish players. 

On 10/4/2021 at 11:49 AM, Texas Pete said:

Yeah fair point. Lots of foreigners at most other premiership clubs. It’s been a big problem since the 90s. 

I think the main problem is a lack of talent coming through though. If enough young Scots that were good enough were coming through there would be no need to bring in foreigners. Clubs cutting down on youth teams or doing away with them altogether isn’t going to improve the situation either. 

Lack of talent? What planet are you on? 

6 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

On the phone, so apologise for quoting you twice. 

My point really is who cares how Rangers do in Europe or at home, when they're don't even play Scottish players. 

Most people who aren’t Rangers fans don’t care. Most Scotland supporters probably want to see Patterson, McLaughlin and Jack do well though. Unless they also support Celtic.

Rangers actually started 3 Scots on Sunday (one of whom has retired from international football) which is as many as some other Premiership clubs have played in some games this season. 

6 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Lack of talent? What planet are you on? 

Same one as you. No need to be rude. 

If the talent that was coming through was as good or better than what Rangers and Celtic (and other clubs) have bought then they would be playing. Do you think the management of these clubs have a dislike of Scottish players or something?

On 10/5/2021 at 7:09 PM, Texas Pete said:

Same one as you. No need to be rude. 

If the talent that was coming through was as good or better than what Rangers and Celtic (and other clubs) have bought then they would be playing. Do you think the management of these clubs have a dislike of Scottish players or something?

Aye, you are quite right, and I apoligse for being so flippant and an arsey there saying that. No excuse really. 

You have a point and I agree that just like Gerrard, O'Neill, Le Guen, Strachan anyone really who ends up boss at the Old Firm, their priority is to win games, but I think Rodgers, Lennon (the least) and now Ange are regularly playing at least 4/5 Scots in the Celtic XI. Ange probably through being down the minimum and lack of transfer activity.

On 10/6/2021 at 11:01 PM, weekevie04 said:

Aye, you are quite right, and I apoligse for being so flippant and an arsey there saying that. No excuse really. 

You have a point and I agree that just like Gerrard, O'Neill, Le Guen, Strachan anyone really who ends up boss at the Old Firm, their priority is to win games, but I think Rodgers, Lennon (the least) and now Ange are regularly playing at least 4/5 Scots in the Celtic XI. Ange probably through being down the minimum and lack of transfer activity.

You’re alright mate. I wasn’t being 100% serious. I’ve probably used that expression before myself on here. 😂

I don’t think Lennon or Postecoglou played/play more Scots than Rangers to benefit the Scotland team. It’s just the way it worked out.

When Gerrard took over at Rangers he brought a lot of players up from England as he likely knew very little about Scottish players up here and not many youngsters have broken through to the senior squad. Patterson is about the only one that has done that successfully. 

Gerrard has possibly less likely to promote youngsters as his main priority was to stop 10 in a row and he was given money to buy players. He won’t have much of a budget over the next couple of transfer windows so hopefully he’ll look more to the young players now. Ryan Jack has been out injured for a long time so hopefully he is back soon and Scott Wright is getting more game time. Having said that most of Celtic’s recent Scottish players were bought and did  it come through their youth set up.

With McGregor likely retiring there could easily be 4/5 Scottish players (that are still available for Scotland) playing for Rangers next season.