Lucid Dreams - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lucid Dreams

Does anyone have these? I don’t ever recall having a lucid dream. The crashing disappointment of waking , aged 8, to find out I was not wee Jimmy Osmond’s girlfriend has been the story of my dreaming life. I would love however to able to control what was in my dreams.

Vanilla Sky is probably in my top 5 films. Possibly top. Is it possible one day fiction could become reality?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sciencealert.com/there-s-a-reliable-method-for-triggering-lucid-dreams-study-shows/amp

I remember showing Vanilla Sky as part of an A level Philosophy course I was teaching. It's a few years ago but it got into my head and unfortunately I can't remember the details but had at least one very weird dream afterwards, dreams within dreams, jumping chronologically. As I say can't remember the details but was very odd.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

I remember showing Vanilla Sky as part of an A level Philosophy course I was teaching. It's a few years ago but it got into my head and unfortunately I can't remember the details but had at least one very weird dream afterwards, dreams within dreams, jumping chronologically. As I say can't remember the details but was very odd.

I find the thought of being able to control or create your own dream really interesting, Vanilla Sky blew me away when I watched it, it was pretty advanced 20 years ago. It was up there with The Sixth Sense on unexpected endings for me.
I watched Inception and enjoyed that too but felt it was trying  just a bit too hard to be clever. 
In the link I posted it suggests the research could ‘create a world of fun and adventure for the future’ , but likewise I think it could  also go down a pretty dark route .

At the moment I would happy just to get a decent nights sleep never mind a lucid dream. But it is interesting to hear from folk who get them. Apparently you can train yourself to have them . 

I was banned from talking about my dreams by everyone I ever spoke to about my dreams.

20 years ago, one of the girls above me in halls was taking a psychology elective as part of her degree and they wanted them to keep a dream journal for a week and she said she couid never remember her dreams so I said I would do it for her. I think we got to day 3 before she asked me to just not bother.

3 minutes ago, phart said:

I was banned from talking about my dreams by everyone I ever spoke to about my dreams.

20 years ago, one of the girls above me in halls was taking a psychology elective as part of her degree and they wanted them to keep a dream journal for a week and she said she couid never remember her dreams so I said I would do it for her. I think we got to day 3 before she asked me to just not bother.

😁 can you remember any of them ? It might have been pretty embarrassing for her to pass off your dreams as her own, depending on what they were.

It was not lucid but the best dream I ever had was as a gorilla swinging like Tarzan from vine to vine but these vines were full of blossoms and as I was swinging my hand was loose and slipping down the vine causing all the blossoms to cascade off as I went.

eventually I fell off and I landed softly in a bed of fallen petals.

Beat that. 😀

3 hours ago, phart said:

Magic mushrooms?

15 hours ago, phart said:

Nah.

I'm still friends with her. She just said she never had any dreams she could remember she didn't share them, probably burnt them instead.

Aye, you wouldn’t want to share all your dreams thats for sure or there would be a lot of lonely people in the world. And even more in high security institutions 😁

15 hours ago, thplinth said:

It was not lucid but the best dream I ever had was as a gorilla swinging like Tarzan from vine to vine but these vines were full of blossoms and as I was swinging my hand was loose and slipping down the vine causing all the blossoms to cascade off as I went.

eventually I fell off and I landed softly in a bed of fallen petals.

Beat that. 😀

Sounds like an advert for Lenor. You should think of selling the idea . 

4 hours ago, EddardStark said:

My recent dreams have a soundtrack of music to them. Lately it’s been Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull. 

I am taking your post at face value and not a subtle reference to the OP 😎

Were you listening to this song in the day or 2 leading up to the dream or did it just randomly appear ? Do you control the music in any way ? For example, in your dream could you say ‘get this shite off and get Kylie on ‘ ? 

I suppose the question is, if you could have create a lucid dream what would it be ? 

I think for me it would be for some of my close relatives being alive again . I forget most of my dreams  but I remember having a very vivid dream and my mum, gran and grandpa were alive again. I only had so much time to see them in my dream and then they left , and I woke up sobbing my heart out.  This would not have happened if I had control of it.

Another entry in my ‘Top 10 ‘ lucid dreams would be thrashing England 5-0 in the WC final . Every night instead of every 4 years. I dont think I could grow weary of that dream. 

On 9/25/2021 at 12:30 PM, TDYER63 said:

Does anyone have these? I don’t ever recall having a lucid dream. The crashing disappointment of waking , aged 8, to find out I was not wee Jimmy Osmond’s girlfriend has been the story of my dreaming life. I would love however to able to control what was in my dreams.

Vanilla Sky is probably in my top 5 films. Possibly top. Is it possible one day fiction could become reality?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sciencealert.com/there-s-a-reliable-method-for-triggering-lucid-dreams-study-shows/amp

I can control my dreams, especially when I'm drifting off but only part of the time, last night I was dreaming about not having finished my Euro 2020 sticker album... at 48... 🦞

32 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

I can control my dreams, especially when I'm drifting off but only part of the time, last night I was dreaming about not having finished my Euro 2020 sticker album... at 48... 🦞

😁 Can you not control the dream  to get  all the stickers you still need ? Or do you  get a sort of frustration at not being able to complete it ?

I regularly get a dream where i am going through reams and reams of paper on an old fashioned adding machine, adding up thousands of numbers,  I used to have to do that in my job about 30 yrs ago. I need to get the totals to match but I cannot get the same figure twice and I am getting more and more frustrated. 

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😁 Can you not control the dream  to get  all the stickers you still need ? Or do you  get a sort of frustration at not being able to complete it ?

I regularly get a dream where i am going through reams and reams of paper on an old fashioned adding machine, adding up thousands of numbers,  I used to have to do that in my job about 30 yrs ago. I need to get the totals to match but I cannot get the same figure twice and I am getting more and more frustrated. 

Aye, I was trying but some bassa kept getting them! 

On 9/26/2021 at 6:30 PM, TDYER63 said:

I am taking your post at face value and not a subtle reference to the OP 😎

Were you listening to this song in the day or 2 leading up to the dream or did it just randomly appear ? Do you control the music in any way ? For example, in your dream could you say ‘get this shite off and get Kylie on ‘ ? 

Definitely not a dig. It’s strange. I have multiple dreams in one night. And each time the music is different but it’s probably tracks I have been exposed to recently. 

20 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Definitely not a dig. It’s strange. I have multiple dreams in one night. And each time the music is different but it’s probably tracks I have been exposed to recently. 

Do numerous dreams in a night not make you tired in the morning? I know they dont last long but when I have even one vivid dream I feel exhausted when i wake up. Might just be general poor quality of sleep right enough.