U21s - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

U21s

Tartan blood

Most other countries seems fine to get friendlies.

Even arranging them with the home nations would be fine or arranging a friendly against a lower league side just to get these lads time on the pitch together. Hell why not throw together a Scotland B team and play them.

We just seem very poorly run from u21 level down. I'm sure the u19s didn't even have a get together let alone a game for well over a year. All the other homenations had get togethers or friendlies in that period. 

5 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

See when you look at Kelly's passing and technical ability you have to actually wonder why Gerrard isn't giving him a chance.

I was wondering that myself. Kelly has probably been Scotland's best player so far, and I have been quite impressed with Burroughs too.

Slicker doesn't look like the goalkeeping superstar we've been crying out for though.

We've played okay, I think, but the Danes have created the better chances.

13 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I was wondering that myself. Kelly has probably been Scotland's best player so far, and I have been quite impressed with Burroughs too.

Slicker doesn't look like the goalkeeping superstar we've been crying out for though.

We've played okay, I think, but the Danes have created the better chances.

Technically we have some good players but it's the tactics that are the problem. We have guys who can play out and play wonderful passes but Gemmell wants them to play extremely direct.

With Slicker he has just turned 19 and it shows. He's made some decent saves but is still very much a youth keeper. He will learn from that mistake and his nervy moments. He has shown enough for me to see his potential but I don't see him making it near a Scotland squad for quite a few years.

While still quite Raw I've liked the look of Ashby at times. He's got a lot to work on especially in defence but he looks like he has a big chance of making it. We could have a very good crop of RBs in 2/3 years.

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Technically we have some good players but it's the tactics that are the problem. We have guys who can play out and play wonderful passes but Gemmell wants them to play extremely direct.

With Slicker he has just turned 19 and it shows. He's made some decent saves but is still very much a youth keeper. He will learn from that mistake and his nervy moments. He has shown enough for me to see his potential but I don't see him making it near a Scotland squad for quite a few years.

While still quite Raw I've liked the look of Ashby at times. He's got a lot to work on especially in defence but he looks like he has a big chance of making it. We could have a very good crop of RBs in 2/3 years.

I think you could tell Slicker has never played any senior football (only Man city & Scotland youth sides) and he could probably do with a loan move to get some experience.

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Slicker has time on side, definitely, although Craig Gordon was Hearts' first choice goalie by the time he wasn't much older and David Marshall had played in the Champions League for Celtic.

To be fair to him though he did better in the second half.

10 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

No out and out striker . Struggling up top like the mens team 

Jack Stretton is an out and out striker. Gemmill didn't play him though. 🙄

3 hours ago, henry george said:

I thought we were very poor with only Ashby and Kelly getting pass marks.  Watching the U21's has been a painful experience these past few years.  Gemmill's tactics seem to be simply "give me a shift and, if you get the ball, panic!"

Dreadful stuff to watch.😌

Agreed, he picks the most physical players he can find and send them out on anti-football patrol.