Duolingo gaelic course - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Duolingo gaelic course

It's not 100% full proof, but a good wee tip for conversational Gaelic is just add aichean/achan to plural words e.g treanaichean, pleanaichean, planaichean, busaichean, etc. And even if you are having a chat with someone in Gaelic and cannont think of the Gaelic word - make up your own or just insert the Scots/English word - so you don't switch over straight to English or stop. 

You hear loads of folk doing this, and its just a part of the language. Some purists might dislike it, but its either that, or NO ONE over the age of 18 will learn.

So cum oiribh a charaid leis a' Ghaidhlig 

Thanks for that fella, not sure I'm ready to make the leap to that level yet but going to keep it going. It's amazing when some of it just clicks and you realise your understanding the language of your forefathers.

I would say the main thing with Gaidhlig is speaking it frequently in order to keep your pronunciation up to scratch. I could only speak Gaidhlig up until the age of 5 when I started going to school and slowly transitioned to speaking English all the time.

It's nearly 20 years since I lived in the islands and although I understand it I would shy away from speaking it to a native speaker.