Right then, how do we replace Hanley for Israel? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Right then, how do we replace Hanley for Israel?

Third Lanark

Would prefer Cooper myself but think Clarke will play McKenna as that is who he has used in recent games. Am sure he will stick to 5 at the back also to play Tierney and Robbo in their usual positions. Probably more critical is who we play in midfield to get us more possession of the ball.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

It would be good to see John Souttar back in the squad too he’s made a great start to the season. 

Would you put Souttar in as a starter? 

8 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Similar rules for Tierney the 5’10 centre back also 

Eh? Would you not have Tierney in?

Who would you start instead of Hanley?

19 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

The rules seems to be mctominay needs to be shoe horned into the side somewhere . Despite never seeing any justification for it.

so yes would expect him at centre half

Clearly you wouldn't have Mctominay at CB, who would you have?

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Would you put Souttar in as a starter? 

Eh? Would you not have Tierney in?

Who would you start instead of Hanley?

Clearly you wouldn't have Mctominay at CB, who would you have?

I’d probably rather Souttar than Cooper to be honest, Souttar can play a bit more. 

I think he will stick McTominay there.

Who would you start there in Hanleys absence? 

Oh Christ yes I’d start Tierney. I was just making a point about shoe horning that’s all. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

I’d probably rather Souttar than Cooper to be honest, Souttar can play a bit more. 

I think he will stick McTominay there.

Who would you start there in Hanleys absence? 

Oh Christ yes I’d start Tierney. I was just making a point about shoe horning that’s all. 

I'd be comfortable with mckenna or Cooper in for Hanley

I'd pick mctominay in midfield but in his best position as a box to box midfielder.

11 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I'd be comfortable with mckenna or Cooper in for Hanley

I'd pick mctominay in midfield but in his best position as a box to box midfielder.

Part of our problem is that we are now at the stage where we almost have too many players that can't be dropped. Which can be a detriment to the balance of the team. I'd say there are 6 players that are too good not to start: Robertson, Tierney, Gilmour, McTominay, Hanley and McGinn.

Then you have the likes of C.McGregor, Gordon, Marshall, Jack, Forrest, Hendry, Fraser, Turnbull, Patterson, O'Donnell, Cooper and Christie all justifiably pushing for a start. It must give Clarke nightmares. And he is probably secretly glad to get the odd injury to make his decision easier.

1 minute ago, Tartan blood said:

Part of our problem is that we are now at the stage where we almost have too many players that can't be dropped. Which can be a detriment to the balance of the team. I'd say there are 6 players that are too good not to start: Robertson, Tierney, Gilmour, McTominay, Hanley and McGinn.

Then you have the likes of C.McGregor, Gordon, Marshall, Jack, Forrest, Hendry, Fraser, Turnbull, Patterson, O'Donnell, Cooper and Christie all justifiably pushing for a start. It must give Clarke nightmares. And he is probably secretly glad to get the odd injury to make his 

Forest, Marshall and Jack aren't pushing for starts IMO. Jack has been gone so long I don't think we need him, he's a back up/squad player now. 

Forest had a good spell for Scotland after a very poor first 25 caps. His injury wrecked his season and now he is injured again, before that he wasn't a starter for celtic

Marshall is finished, he's 3rd choice at a shite Derby team

The rest I agree with

12 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Forest, Marshall and Jack aren't pushing for starts IMO. Jack has been gone so long I don't think we need him, he's a back up/squad player now. 

Forest had a good spell for Scotland after a very poor first 25 caps. His injury wrecked his season and now he is injured again, before that he wasn't a starter for celtic

Marshall is finished, he's 3rd choice at a shite Derby team

The rest I agree with

For the players you mentioned, I included them based on relatively recent form (past 2 years). But I agree, all of them have to prove themselves again, but they all have cash in the bank that will ensure Clarke will throw them straight back into the mix when playing regularly.

We do still lack a true anchorman, but Jack's ability, like so many other injured players, has been inflated to more than what the reality is. No disrespect to him, but there is no way Gilmour, McTominay or McGregor are getting dropped for him.

2 hours ago, thelonehutch said:

Hendry in the middle for me. McTominay and Tierney either side bringing the ball out. Souttar on the right if McTominay isn't fit. 

How good is it to have options at centre back again?😁👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Amazing, especially since you are choosing guys that haven't even been in recent squads 😋. But I'm fully in agreement Souttar should be called up, however, it'll be Hendry, Cooper, Gallagher and McKenna ahead of him.

Is it bad that we have so many decent centre back options but will quite likely only play 1? (Tierney and McTominay being the other 2)

On 9/14/2021 at 9:27 AM, er yir macaroon said:

Move Hendry to the centre and put McTominay at RCB, Tierney LCB. Blistering pace in every defensive position, including the wing backs, Patterson and Robertson. Squeeze Israel high up the pitch, get Gilmour on the ball and give them a right good doing. 

For this game I might be tempted to do that.  Generally I want Mctominay in a midfield three with gilmour and Mcginn.

On 9/10/2021 at 2:04 PM, Tartan blood said:

I really don't understand this sudden vitriol for McKenna. He made one bad tackle after unexpectedly being subbed on at the Euros and suddenly he's a dud?

McKenna has been relatively solid for Scotland and is getting rave reviews at Forest. In my eyes he is the obvious long term successor to Hanley and I'd have no problem with him starting against Israel.

He's shite

On 9/14/2021 at 9:27 AM, er yir macaroon said:

Move Hendry to the centre and put McTominay at RCB, Tierney LCB. Blistering pace in every defensive position, including the wing backs, Patterson and Robertson. Squeeze Israel high up the pitch, get Gilmour on the ball and give them a right good doing. 

Keep Mctominay and mckenna out of the backline,  they are both honking defenders