Right then, how do we replace Hanley for Israel? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Right then, how do we replace Hanley for Israel?

Third Lanark

Now that Grant Hanley is suspended for the next match after being pretty much nailed on as our central centre back, who do bring in? We have IMO the following options:

1.  Bring in McTominay if fit to play to play RCB, moving Hendry in one (where he has played for Ostende); which in effect means 2 changes.

2. Replace him with Gallagher - probably the best like-for-like. And don't forget, before Hanley returned from a long injury lay-off, he was first choice and played well v. Serbia.

3. Bring in a left-footed centre back (McKenna or Cooper) and leave Hendry where he is.

4. Bring in a newbie - Jason Kerr for example.

For me the least disruptive option is Gallagher, but then again Cooper is Leeds captain and faces top strikers each week.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, dougiemacfarlanearran said:

Gallagher all day long but worry he’ll go with McKenna the Scottish efe!!!!!

I really don't understand this sudden vitriol for McKenna. He made one bad tackle after unexpectedly being subbed on at the Euros and suddenly he's a dud?

McKenna has been relatively solid for Scotland and is getting rave reviews at Forest. In my eyes he is the obvious long term successor to Hanley and I'd have no problem with him starting against Israel.

1 hour ago, Templeton_Peck said:

I would rather not have Mctominay defend against Soloman. Hasnt gone well previously. But I think this what he will do. 

All depends on who is fit to play in a months time.

Wouldn't mind if Soloman, Dabbur, Zahavi and Dasa dont make it. Dont really rate anyone else in their side. 

This is it really. 

We can talk all we want about who should replace Hanly but in these times we really just need to hope that we don’t have major covid/injury problems and have to end up recalling Charlie Mulgrew. 😂

I’d leave Hendry where he is and bring in Gallagher if Clarke sticks to a back 3/5. 
I think when we’ve played Israel a back 4 has worked better for us. If I was playing a back 4, I’d have Tierney and Hendry as my CB pairing. Israel don’t have any “Target man” type centre forwards. So Tierney’s lack of height shouldn’t be a problem.

3 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

I would rather not have Mctominay defend against Soloman. Hasnt gone well previously. But I think this what he will do. 

All depends on who is fit to play in a months time.

Wouldn't mind if Soloman, Dabbur, Zahavi and Dasa dont make it. Dont really rate anyone else in their side. 

Wonder if Dasa will continue to look like Cafu on acid vs Robertson this time round. 

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

Hendry playing centre of a back 3/5 tonight on his debut. Maybe he can play there in place of Hanley. 

Hendry playing right centre back in a back 4 tonight on his debut for Brugge

1 hour ago, breeks_mctavish said:

There’s no way he’ll play Tierney, Hendry and McTominey. Too lightweight. Israel would target McTominay, having rinsed him in the past. I agree with Tartan blood. I’d go with McKenna. A good long term option. Better than Hanley was at the same age. Failinibg that, Cooper would probably do a job

It's mad how quickly a lot of supporters just write players off. Especially when there are sooo many examples of guys in our recent past with redemption stories. Especially centre back!

You only need to look at our current squad to know we'd be daft to write off 24 year old, McKenna, or anyone under the age of 30. The fact so many are calling for Gallagher to play ahead of him supports that. (I do like Gallagher as well though)

9 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

1.  Bring in McTominay if fit to play to play RCB, moving Hendry in one (where he has played for Ostende); which in effect means 2 changes.

This is the correct answer, IF (and it's not an 'if' i'm in favour of) we continue with the 352 system.

What i'd like to see is 4 at the back, and for us to play proper wide men. That's how Clarke changed the game in our favour against Israel in our last game.

If you took someone who'd never watched football in their life before, then shown them our games against Israel and asked them which of the players on the pitch was a world class fullback? They'd answer Dasa. We have to change that, and i think we can do it by pinning the baldy wee fucker back using a winger/Robbo combination.

17 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

It's mad how quickly a lot of supporters just write players off. Especially when there are sooo many examples of guys in our recent past with redemption stories. Especially centre back!

You only need to look at our current squad to know we'd be daft to write off 24 year old, McKenna, or anyone under the age of 30. The fact so many are calling for Gallagher to play ahead of him supports that. (I do like Gallagher as well though)

I’m certainly not writing off McKenna, I hope he is a success at Forest and goes on to be a big player for Scotland (perhaps a CB pairing of Hendry, McKenna will be bedrock of our backline in the future, I hope so), but I’ve never really seen McKenna have an outstanding performance for Scotland yet (not that I can think of?)  I’ve seen Gallagher have a few. To be fair to McKenna, he’s not had lots of game time. But I’d like to see him have a top notch performance at international level. But I do hope he will become a mainstay in the team in the next couple of seasons.

6 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

This is the correct answer, IF (and it's not an 'if' i'm in favour of) we continue with the 352 system.

What i'd like to see is 4 at the back, and for us to play proper wide men. That's how Clarke changed the game in our favour against Israel in our last game.

If you took someone who'd never watched football in their life before, then shown them our games against Israel and asked them which of the players on the pitch was a world class fullback? They'd answer Dasa. We have to change that, and i think we can do it by pinning the baldy wee fucker back using a winger/Robbo combination.

I think Tierney in front of Robbo in a back 4 would do the job. Was it Fraser who played wide left, 2nd half in Israel?

Edited by Scot1

3 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I think Tierney in front of Robbo in a back 4 would do the job. Was it Fraser who played wide left, 2nd half in Israel?

I think Fraser was used up front off Dykes? Not sure.

Just re-watched the highlights, and you can see we were much more of a threat in the 2nd half after moving to a back 4.

We should be confident enough to start that way playing at home.

2 hours ago, Scot1 said:

I’m certainly not writing off McKenna, I hope he is a success at Forest and goes on to be a big player for Scotland (perhaps a CB pairing of Hendry, McKenna will be bedrock of our backline in the future, I hope so), but I’ve never really seen McKenna have an outstanding performance for Scotland yet (not that I can think of?)  I’ve seen Gallagher have a few. To be fair to McKenna, he’s not had lots of game time. But I’d like to see him have a top notch performance at international level. But I do hope he will become a mainstay in the team in the next couple of seasons.

McKenna has had some very good performances for Scotland. I can't recall who against off the top of my head, but, more importantly, I can't think of too many blunders he's had either. He is a solid defender, with all the physical attributes a centre back needs. With more experience, I can see people talking about him the way they are Hanley in a few years.

It wasn't so long ago folk had written off Hanley. I certainly didn't. I never bought into the bombscare narrative.

Fyi, I'm not against playing Gallagher, Hendry or Cooper in place of Hanley, I just felt the need to defend McKenna who has seemingly become the new O'Donnell with some fans.

6 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

McKenna has had some very good performances for Scotland. I can't recall who against off the top of my head, but, more importantly, I can't think of too many blunders he's had either. He is a solid defender, with all the physical attributes a centre back needs. With more experience, I can see people talking about him the way they are Hanley in a few years.

It wasn't so long ago folk had written off Hanley. I certainly didn't. I never bought into the bombscare narrative.

Fyi, I'm not against playing Gallagher, Hendry or Cooper in place of Hanley, I just felt the need to defend McKenna who has seemingly become the new O'Donnell with some fans.

Gallagher hasn't looked great so far for Aberdeen, seems to want forever on the ball & nae been so aggressive or decisive.

2 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

Gallagher hasn't looked great so far for Aberdeen, seems to want forever on the ball & nae been so aggressive or decisive.

I think the majority are basing their desire to play Gallagher on past Scotland performances, as am I, because I've not watched him lately.

No disrespect to Gallagher, but I'm surprised he's still being called up. Considering we generally only play 1 or 2 centre backs, you'd think Cooper, McKenna and Hendry would be ample squad cover.

11 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I recall McKenna having a good game against isreal at Hampden in the nations league when Forrest scored a few. I think if McKenna reaches a decent level for notts Forrest in next few weeks he will be considered.