Bringing the ends closer to pitch at Hampden ? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bringing the ends closer to pitch at Hampden ?

Haggis_trap

Great photo here from 1904 showing how Hampden was an out of town stadium when it was new. 

E31YmeVWEAQhrIL.jpg

Clincart farmhouse in the foreground with terraces of Hampden built on the fields behind it. The recently constructed tenements on Somerville Drive are in the background too.

The farmhouse went on to become part of the pavilion at Lesser Hampden...

Lesser_Hampden_-_geograph-1920423.jpg

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Great photo here from 1904 showing how Hampden was an out of town stadium when it was new. 

E31YmeVWEAQhrIL.jpg

Clincart farmhouse in the foreground with terraces of Hampden built on the fields behind it. The recently constructed tenements on Somerville Drive are in the background too.

Can't remember ever seeing that first photo, cracker, thanks. 

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

E31YmeVWEAQhrIL.jpg

Sandstone should never be skimmed with cement. 

On 9/12/2021 at 2:00 PM, Rich NATA said:

Hampden is a UEFA rated 5-Star stadium.

Because of the distance between the fans and the pitch, it's not what many would like it to be, but Hampden is certainly NOT a sh*t stadium.

There are numerous stadiums across Europe the same shape as Hampden... Rome, Berlin, Vienna, Belgrade, Seville, Moscow, etc...

I suggest we keep the South Stand and build everything around that.

Move the pitch and the North, East and West Stands closer to the South Stand.

One more thing; all the money is in the South Stand. The expense is always in a main stand.

The North, East and West stands are fairly basic structures. Fairly easy to replace and surely not a expensive as replacing the South Stand.

Great post.

Digging down not being possible then move the west and east stands in behind the goals and make the stands taller to allow for more seating capacity than there is at present. The north stand could maybe be move nearer to the pitch edge and a few more extra rows of seats added there too. It could increase the capacity to perhaps around 60, 000.

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Great post.

The more I think about it... The North, East and West Stands are really nothing more than seats on terracing, toilets and catering kiosks.

That's it. There's nothing else.

There are no hospitality suites or executive boxes, etc...

All the expensive stuff is in the South Stand.

Keep the South as it is. Move pitch as close as possible to it. Build three steep stands around the other three sides (I'd like double-deckers: upper tier near-immediately above the lower - not set back).

More intimate inside.

More space between the back of the North Stand an the houses behind it (i.e. safer access).

The back of the New North Stand would probably start where the back row of that stand currently sits.

36 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

The more I think about it... The North, East and West Stands are really nothing more than seats on terracing, toilets and catering kiosks.

There are no hospitality suites or executive boxes, etc...

All the expensive stuff is in the South Stand.

Keep the South as it is. Move pitch as close as possible to it. Build three steep stands around the other three sides (I'd like double-deckers: upper tier near-immediately above the lower - not set back).

More intimate inside.

More space between the back of the North Stand an the houses behind it (i.e. safer access).

The back of the New North Stand would probably start where the back row of that stand currently sits.

there is hospitality in the north stand. I have been in it

2 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

They are pretty much the same as in 1903, just with seats and a roof.

The vast majority of cash spent in the 1990s upgrade was on the South Stand.

I ran up a few stairs in the north stand a couple of years ago for a bit of privacy to slip an extra layer on (November... my grannie telt me to wear a semmit), and was met by a steward/ninja with a look of panic on his face.

It's not what is up there, but who...

4 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

That wee bit at the back, just under the roof? That actually has hospitality in it?

Every day's a school day.

What's up there?

yeah, just your bog standard lunch and drinks before and after the game. Not massively exclusive. It was the Scottish cup final I was there for.

8 hours ago, Malcolm said:

yeah, just your bog standard lunch and drinks before and after the game. Not massively exclusive. It was the Scottish cup final I was there for.

Are they individual boxes or is it a communal suite? Is there a bar?

There can't be much space up there, tucked under the roof. Is it poky?

Or maybe it has the Tardis effect.

6 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Are they individual boxes or is it a communal suite? Is there a bar?

There can't be much space up there, tucked under the roof. Is it poky?

Or maybe it has the Tardis effect.

it’s a communal area, like a mini function suite.  Can’t remember there being a bar…. Long time ago, Celtic v Motherwell cup final whenever that was, about 10 years ago I’m guessing.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought pitch was bigger / wider too , but seems theyve ‘reduced’ the wings for many years now ?

re the earlier pie comment - i think its a fairly recent experience for the need for people to spend barrowloads of cash on food & drinks at the football - is more “part of the experience “ than not being able to survive without food for 90 mins ; ditto cinema & theatre …

I remember going to hampden in 80s ; internationals and finals - but dont recall ever having a pie ( or my mates ) think was fairly spartan back then too