Vaccine Passports - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Vaccine Passports

I counted up the countries that require vaccine passports and got to 129, but i counted really quickly, so might be +/- 5 of that.

So it's defo a majority thing. We can quibble about details of it whether it will be effective, the actual concept of it though isn't some specific to the UK/Scotland though.

However when you're monomaniacal with a hammer every problem is a nail.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, phart said:

I counted up the countries that require vaccine passports and got to 129, but i counted really quickly, so might be +/- 5 of that.

So it's defo a majority thing. We can quibble about details of it whether it will be effective, the actual concept of it though isn't some specific to the UK/Scotland though.

However when you're monomaniacal with a hammer every problem is a nail.

There seems to be an obsession from both the media and opposition that whenever the SG implements some new legislation relating to COVID that somehow it needs to be both 100% clear and also completely enforceable.  

That was the case last year with cross border travel and also the whole “what is a cafe” confected nonsense.

The UKG have implemented broadly similar sets of legislation and restrictions and there’s never been the same level of opposition for the sake of it or the media inventing problems which aren’t there.   It’s pretty obvious to me what the media and opposition are up to in Scotland and it’s got nothing to do with genuine scrutiny.  

In England, my experience was that prior to masks being made mandatory in public settings last year around half the people I’d see in my local supermarket would be wearing a mask.  They made it a legal requirement and immediately that went up to around 90%.  There was no real debate or discussion about “how would it be enforced” or “who would enforce it”.  I’d be interested to see how many people have been prosecuted *solely* for not wearing one, I suspect it’s a very small number if at all.  The point of the legislation wasn’t to catch people not wearing a mask but to push adherence up to a high level and it succeeded in that.  The vaccine passport is attempting to do the same, the objective isn’t to catch people sneaking into night clubs unvaccinated rather it’s to push up the vaccination numbers.

in some ways it’s the same false argument that is always deployed, why is it safe to go to place X but not to place Y, where X is somewhere I can go to but have no interest in going whereas Y is somewhere I want to go but can’t.

As an aside, in England, again only my experience, since the UKG made masks advisory, adherence has gone way down.

I’m currently up in Scotland for a few days, first time in two years because of COVID.  Came up yesterday and the train I got earlier in the day in England, around 8am so fairly busy, probably had around 50% on the trains, less on station concourses.  I missed a train at Glasgow Central, so had a coffee while I waited and it was really noticeable to me that virtually everyone was wearing one even in the station concourse.

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

There seems to be an obsession from both the media and opposition that whenever the SG implements some new legislation relating to COVID that somehow it needs to be both 100% clear and also completely enforceable.  

That was the case last year with cross border travel and also the whole “what is a cafe” confected nonsense.

The UKG have implemented broadly similar sets of legislation and restrictions and there’s never been the same level of opposition for the sake of it or the media inventing problems which aren’t there.   It’s pretty obvious to me what the media and opposition are up to in Scotland and it’s got nothing to do with genuine scrutiny.  

In England, my experience was that prior to masks being made mandatory in public settings last year around half the people I’d see in my local supermarket would be wearing a mask.  They made it a legal requirement and immediately that went up to around 90%.  There was no real debate or discussion about “how would it be enforced” or “who would enforce it”.  I’d be interested to see how many people have been prosecuted *solely* for not wearing one, I suspect it’s a very small number if at all.  The point of the legislation wasn’t to catch people not wearing a mask but to push adherence up to a high level and it succeeded in that.  The vaccine passport is attempting to do the same, the objective isn’t to catch people sneaking into night clubs unvaccinated rather it’s to push up the vaccination numbers.

in some ways it’s the same false argument that is always deployed, why is it safe to go to place X but not to place Y, where X is somewhere I can go to but have no interest in going whereas Y is somewhere I want to go but can’t.

As an aside, in England, again only my experience, since the UKG made masks advisory, adherence has gone way down.

I’m currently up in Scotland for a few days, first time in two years because of COVID.  Came up yesterday and the train I got earlier in the day in England, around 8am so fairly busy, probably had around 50% on the trains, less on station concourses.  I missed a train at Glasgow Central, so had a coffee while I waited and it was really noticeable to me that virtually everyone was wearing one even in the station concourse.

Good summary!

On 9/22/2021 at 5:06 PM, aaid said:

Yeah i noticed a huge difference too ; back over for a few weeks ; time in London either end of trip and couple of weeks in Aberdeen - pretty much all masking there aside from exemptions with lanyards - down here ; even on public transport is a free for all - flights mandatory ( per airline tho )

sign in john lewis on oxford st re masks was along lines of do whatever you feel comfortable with

Platform 9 to God's best wee toun?

Read the other day National rail saying mask wearing on train travel in England went from 90 percent when law to 20 % now. And on the underground from almost 100 % to 60 % now. 

42 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Read the other day National rail saying mask wearing on train travel in England went from 90 percent when law to 20 % now. And on the underground from almost 100 % to 60 % now. 

Based on the train journeys I’ve taken in the last month or so, that sounds about right to me.

8 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I use subway fairly regularly in Glasgow and I'd say its 90%+ masks.

Down here the local supermarkets started off close to 100% masks after boris relaxed everything. Now it's less than 50%. Nobody cares anymore 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Down here the local supermarkets started off close to 100% masks after boris relaxed everything. Now it's less than 50%. Nobody cares anymore 

I'd say the only time it's like that on the subway is when Rangers are playing. And that's just a couple of times when I've been going opposite direction.

3 minutes ago, Lamia said:

Sooo the app hasn't been a roaring success so far. 🤔

Just as well they delayed enforcement unless it gets sorted tomorrow!

What's happening i've not been following it. I'm not planning doing anything that requires a passport so not been paying attention.

9 hours ago, phart said:

What's happening i've not been following it. I'm not planning doing anything that requires a passport so not been paying attention.

The app wasn’t matching people up but it seems to have been resolved now. 

I am not planning to need it either but thought I should be prepared in case I suddenly feel the urge to go clubbing 🤔😂

2 hours ago, Lamia said:

The app wasn’t matching people up but it seems to have been resolved now. 

I am not planning to need it either but thought I should be prepared in case I suddenly feel the urge to go clubbing 🤔😂

Just tried it and still can't locate me even with my CHI number.  Shouldn't release these things until they are actually working.  

7 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Humza Yousaf Needs saked over this, he is a walking disaster area. He should’ve been sacked as justice secretary and never let loose in parliament again when he refused to acknowledge misogyny in his ludicrous hate crime bill. What a shambles 

He should be nowhere near a cabinet position. Lap dog that is beyond useless. Contradicts himself every time he opens his mouth.