Vaccine Passports - Page 10 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Vaccine Passports

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Anyone get held up on Saturday due to vaccine passport checks?

I saw this, what a load of shite. 

I was asked very softly by a steward, while I queued anyway, if i had a passport. I showed him my soaking wet paper copy. He didn't look. We moved on with our lives. 

Two things caused delays: (1) unnecessary concentration of people in certain turnstile queues, when other turnstiles were much quieter (2) the false economy of replacing human beings with QR ticket readers. 

I did though reflect at the time on the nature of the crowd and the stewards. What would I have done (sober) and what would this (less sober) crowd do if refused access? Certainly, if it came down to it (e.g. if my passport had actually dissolved in scottish rain), the stewards/police would have to have been prepared to use violence to forcible restrain me from getting to the football. 

Bearing in mind there is only ever going to be a few hundred folk amoungst the 50,000 that are unvacinated and only a handful will be "caught". However, there is potential for flashpoints if stewards take this seriously...which they probably won't...in which case it's merely a waste of time. 

Edited by Morrisandmoo

I went in about 1630. Nobody was checking for vaccine passports. Just wasn't happening. Which is fair enough.

The only delays were due to the machines not recognising some QR codes. The stewards didn't seem to be very clued up about how sort that out. You were just unlucky if you got stuck in the wrong queue behind somebody whose code didn't work. It only delayed me a couple on minutes though, so no big deal. A bit annoying but not as bad as getting stuck behind wifeys at supermarket checkouts who spend ages hunting for their purse and then counting out every penny in change only to find out they don't have enough change after all. That does get on my thrupennies.

Since a large number of attendees at home games are SSC members, it wouldn’t be beyond the wit of man to introduce Smart cards which would get you into Hampden.

No doubt people would find something to complain about with that though. 

19 minutes ago, aaid said:

Since a large number of attendees at home games are SSC members, it wouldn’t be beyond the wit of man to introduce Smart cards which would get you into Hampden.

If killie can do It i cant see why Scotland cant.

13 minutes ago, aaid said:

Or they could just go back to paying some folk who need a wee bit of cash some money to collect the tickets. This new technology doesn't save any money it just diverts it to different people .

Edited by Orraloon

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Or they could just go back to paying some folk who need a wee bit of cash some money to collect the tickets. This new technology doesn't save any money it just diverts it to different people .

And you just proved my point. 

In Greece just now. They have a different way of ‘encouraging’ younger folk to get vaccinated.
They had a huge problem as only 15% of young folk were vaccinated and they depend on tourism,  so they are offering all unvaccinated 16-26 year olds Eur 150 and Eur 50 of data for their mobile if they get vaccinated .
Nicola Sturgeon would only need to offer all 16-26 year olds free entry to Sub Club and  a Zombie cocktail to get the numbers up here. 

3 hours ago, aaid said:

And you just proved my point. 

They've just spent a huge amount of money installing a system which doesn't work and you want them to instal another system which probably won't work either. What was wrong with the old system? Hand over your ticket to somebody, who is getting a few hours work on minimum wage, who looks at the ticket and presses a button to open the gate. 

29 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

They've just spent a huge amount of money installing a system which doesn't work and you want them to instal another system which probably won't work either. What was wrong with the old system? Hand over your ticket to somebody, who is getting a few hours work on minimum wage, who looks at the ticket and presses a button to open the gate. 

Nope, I’d suggest that when they put the system in place it also had smart cards. All it would take is to print the QR code on the card. 

"Scotland's excess deaths at highest level since January" and it's not Covid that's the main cause - at least not directly. The excess deaths include: 44 cancer deaths; 40 more deaths linked to circulatory conditions; 27 dementia or Alzheimers. 

Of those that died from covid around 98% were over the age of 45. A population which has vaccination rates approaching 100%. 

I will just keep saying the same thing (1) it's not mathematically possible for vaccine passports to make a meaningful difference (2) we are paying a very high cost by pursuing it (in more ways than one) at the expense of more effective policies. 

Instead of focusing on avoiding those cancer and heart disease deaths, the Scottish Government are spending their time implementing a discriminatory system that will do no good and calling it a health policy. Utterly horrifying and total pish. 

Scotland's excess deaths at highest level since January - BBC News

Deaths involving COVID-19 Week 40: 4 - 10 October, 2021 | National Records of Scotland (nrscotland.gov.uk)

On 10/12/2021 at 1:54 PM, TDYER63 said:

In Greece just now. They have a different way of ‘encouraging’ younger folk to get vaccinated.
They had a huge problem as only 15% of young folk were vaccinated and they depend on tourism,  so they are offering all unvaccinated 16-26 year olds Eur 150 and Eur 50 of data for their mobile if they get vaccinated .
Nicola Sturgeon would only need to offer all 16-26 year olds free entry to Sub Club and  a Zombie cocktail to get the numbers up here. 

Yes! There are other policies which are less discriminatory and costly than a vaccine passport, but achieve the same result. Sub-club entry and Zombie cocktail is one of them 😂

Edited by Morrisandmoo

I can just about get my head around Sandra off Facebook spouting bollocks getting something removed off Youtube but David Davis at a party conference?  Surely debating and countering whatever he's said is more productive/ constructive than censoring  an elected member of parliament.  Don't often agree with him, and would rather take a kick in the swingers than vote for his party, but this seems completely unhealthy.      

57 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I can just about get my head around Sandra off Facebook spouting bollocks getting something removed off Youtube but David Davis at a party conference?  Surely debating and countering whatever he's said is more productive/ constructive than censoring  an elected member of parliament.  Don't often agree with him, and would rather take a kick in the swingers than vote for his party, but this seems completely unhealthy.      

That's capitalism for you. Larry and Sergey own the company so I suppose they can decide who can, and who can't, use their facilities. In days gone by it was newspapers who decided who, and what, got heard. Now it's internet companies. 

It's not an attack on free speech if the government was doing it would be. Private companies doing it isn't.

Not creating a good debating environment but then neither is putting out rhetorical speeches with no opposition either.

56 minutes ago, phart said:

It's a monopolisation issue not a free speech issue, what is happening with this.

People like David Davies - and he is a great example of this - have such an entitled world view that they think not only should they be allowed to say what they want, but that they should also be given multiple platforms to do that and that people should listen to what they say.

That is of course bullshit, freedom of speech means that people are free to say what they want and that the government will neither censor nor prosecute them for that.

In fact as a member of parliament, he has a greater level of "free speech" than the rest of the population.  He is granted a platform in the House of Commons where whatever he says is broadcast on live television and is recorded for posterity.  He is also not subject to some of the legal restrictions around defamation that ordinary citizens are bound by and which he exercised in putting forwards a set of lies surrounding the Salmond enquiry which were very quickly disproved.  Of course, its quite acceptable to promulgate falsehoods in the House of Commons, it's only when you call them out that you get into trouble.

tl;dr 

The guy is a grade A cunt.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

People like David Davies - and he is a great example of this - have such an entitled world view that they think not only should they be allowed to say what they want, but that they should also be given multiple platforms to do that and that people should listen to what they say.

That is of course bullshit, freedom of speech means that people are free to say what they want and that the government will neither censor nor prosecute them for that.

In fact as a member of parliament, he has a greater level of "free speech" than the rest of the population.  He is granted a platform in the House of Commons where whatever he says is broadcast on live television and is recorded for posterity.  He is also not subject to some of the legal restrictions around defamation that ordinary citizens are bound by and which he exercised in putting forwards a set of lies surrounding the Salmond enquiry which were very quickly disproved.  Of course, its quite acceptable to promulgate falsehoods in the House of Commons, it's only when you call them out that you get into trouble.

tl;dr 

The guy is a grade A cunt.

Mighty me that is quite a vitriolic reaction there for a discussion on vaccine passports. 

The name David Davis rings a bell though... feel like I have heard of him before somewhere.... it is on the tip of my tongue...

Oh! Was he the MP who blew the whistle on the Salmond stich-up in the House of Commons fairly recently, was it him aaid? Knew I'd heard the name somewhere. 

😀

Edited by thplinth

On 10/14/2021 at 1:12 PM, ThistleWhistle said:

Google / Twitter / Facebook crossed the Rubicon a good while ago now.

I don't even use Google for searches anymore, not in protest, I genuinely don't trust them anymore to deliver the results uncensored by all the woke garbage.

I consider them all a serious threat to civil liberties and freedom of speech at this point.

Need to be broken up or regulated or recognized as not a platform but a publisher, as they only allow certain views, like an editor of a newspaper( run by a bunch of woke twats). Totally drunk on their own power.

They are in the same league as the mainstream media at this point, both pushing the exact same woke agenda (and it really is identical and in lockstep with the MSM which should be a huge wakeup call for some but isn't) perhaps even far worse in fact than them, due to their reach.

The really interesting thread that runs through all this is the Russian link.

Big Brother Watch, which is pushing this freedom of speech thing with David was set up by the same guy who created the Conservative friends of Russia group, was chief executive of Vote Leave for brexit and say no to AV which kept us having first past the post.

Big money has been piling into the Tories from Russia and Davis was earmarked for being targetted for compromise by them by a previous foreign secretary. The same foreign secretary who had been targetted by the Friends of Russia group who had found an old dating profile pic and released it.