Austria v Scotland - match thread - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Austria v Scotland - match thread

Barney Rubble

8 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’m not saying they’re brilliant but they did pretty well at the Euros - 6 points in their group. I say again, the level of performance last night would be enough to beat many teams so it shouldn’t be downplayed. It is up to the players to not let that level drop again. 

Austria did well at the Euros but they beat North Macedonia and a poor Ukraine team although they played well against Italy in the last 16 in fairness. They have been terrible in these qualifiers.

I don’t think we should get carried away after one good performance against a team who did not perform well is all I’m saying. If we can carry over that good performance into the Israel game and win that game then we are in business. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Austria did well at the Euros but they beat North Macedonia and a poor Ukraine team although they played well against Italy in the last 16 in fairness. They have been terrible in these qualifiers.

I don’t think we should get carried away after one good performance against a team who did not perform well is all I’m saying. If we can carry over that good performance into the Israel game and win that game then we are in business. 

It’s not about getting carried away though, it’s not letting our standards drop again. We are a better side than Austria when we are on it, but if we turned out a performance like we did against Denmark we’d have been well beaten last night. 

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

It’s not about getting carried away though, it’s not letting our standards drop again. We are a better side than Austria when we are on it, but if we turned out a performance like we did against Denmark we’d have been well beaten last night. 

Is that how football works though? I don’t really think we can compare the games against Denmark and Austria to judge how well we performed last night. It’s a lot easier to play well against a poor Austria team than it is to play well against a rampant Denmark. You really need to consider the opposition here. 

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Is that how football works though? I don’t really think we can compare the games against Denmark and Austria to judge how well we performed last night. It’s a lot easier to play well against a poor Austria team than it is to play well against a rampant Denmark. You really need to consider the opposition here. 

For me, the mindset of the players was totally different last night. They had their metaphorical sleeves rolled up and were ready for battle. That’s why they won. 

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

For me, the mindset of the players was totally different last night. They had their metaphorical sleeves rolled up and were ready for battle. That’s why they won. 

Aye but it’s a lot easier to roll your sleeves up when you’re not getting battered by a vastly superior team. 

We played pretty well against Moldova as well but we just couldn’t kill the game off. 

I don’t think there was a lot wrong with how we played in Copenhagen to be honest. Denmark were just way, way better than us and Austria were not. That’s the main difference for me. 

The players probably didn’t have the belief that they could win in Copenhagen which wouldn’t have helped but that type of confidence only comes with getting decent results which hopefully we can start to do now. 

12 hours ago, COLT NY said:

A few notes on today's performance..

Great first half from Adams... We're still limited in the postition, but he showed a point of difference to anyone else we have available upfront, winning the ball back and attacking with purpose.

Gilmour is an exceptional player. If he was Dutch he'd be worth $80 million and wouldn't be playing for Norwich (okay, he'd probably be playing for Ajax).

Does anyone in world football play like John McGinn? He seems to have unique talents and physique. Great to see his brother get a cap in such a pivotal game.

SOD... Great guy, and has never let Scotland down. Good for him. But how long until we see Calvin Ramsey in a Scotland shirt?

Made his u-21 debut last night 

The performance was not bad at all, but I am surprised at how many are raving about it. We probably were horrible to watch for a neutral or Austrian last night, but then again, who cares what they may think. The Greeks certainly didn't when they won Euro 2004. 

Last night was an excellent and huge psychological victory. And Clarke, to get 6 pts out of 9 is a very good return, one we would all have dreamed of but rarely expected, so well done the team and coaches. Who needs to score too many, if we can scuff in two 1-0 wins, and I will certainly take it. Last night was such a pleasant surprise, similar to Serbia (a) in the sense we achieved a big result away from home against a team who are near enough/pretty much better than us - if going by the last 24 months.  

We've had our fair rub of the green at times, and our penalty ratio is sublime! For the game, it was a nervy but very excellent defensive performance. Austria had one chance that I genuinely feared for, well two - that late free kick from Alaba- but we limited them to basically punting it up the park at times, and although we still punt it one too many times, its slowly changing, with us trying to retain the ball. Gilmour is a HUGE influence on this side, McGregor as well - he gets a lot of unfair criticism IMO- another solid, outstanding performance in a Scotland shirt. He probably doesn't have the character, but he could be a less aggressive but more skillful Scott Brown for us!

Grant Hanley is becoming one of the first names on the team sheet. He's been outstanding of late, and definitely our best defender or most in form one at present (outwith KT, Robbo) Hendry had another accomplished game as well as SOD at right back - he made one mistake that I saw, absolutely sound the rest of the game and that great run would have been magical if it had went in. 

If we are to be as good defensively as we were yesterday, Dykes is a perfect man for Adams. Perfect in the sense that he runs about makes a nuisance of himself, and is very good and holding up play, knocking balls in or to the channels. His finishing isn't great, but if we can take every third chance then I'd certainly take it. 

Its Scotland though, we still have Israel to come. They'll come out flying for that - knowing our next three games are Moldova, Faroes and Denmark - and pretty much a draw, and two wins will near enough secure second spot. So, we need to be careful, and they are a good side. I'm a little concerned about the Faroes (a), they are a very good minnow and we seen how Denmark pushed them all the way, and they beat Moldova by scoring more goals than us. Then again, let's see what happens after Israel - if we win - we could afford to even draw there in Tórshavn.

Havering on, but if you were to say to me 20 minutes into the Denmark game, we would end the week with 6 pts and Austria with 3...etc, 

A remarkable turnaround, a huge achievement 'ITS IN OUR HANDS' Yikes!

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Unless Israel win or draw  in Austria, which could very easily happen.

If any one wants a bet that if Israel get two draws that we will beat them on goal difference let me know.

Quote my self, but if we draw with Israel and Austria beat Israel it comes down to goal difference again and that's assuming Austria don't take anything of Denmark.

We are still a long way away from the play offs.

SkyBet odds on finishing second, shocking book so we are odds against getting to playoffs

10/11

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Quote my self, but if we draw with Israel and Austria beat Israel it comes down to goal difference again and that's assuming Austria don't take anything of Denmark.

SkyBet odds on finishing second, shocking book so we are odds against getting to playoffs

10/11

I could be misunderstanding you but how would it come down to goal difference in the scenario you have mentioned? You realise we are a point ahead of Israel and 4 ahead of Austria? I assume you are assuming nobody slips up against the Faroes or Moldova?

If we draw with Israel and Israel lose to Austria the best Israel can do is 17 points. Assuming we do beat the Faroes and Moldova (dangerous assumption I know) we would have a minimum of 18 points. Goal difference would not be an issue here.

If Austria don’t get anything in Denmark they would fining on 16 points. If Austria go to Denmark and win then they will end up with a maximum of 19 points and we would also need to take something off Denmark and it could possibly go down to goal difference but Austria winning in Denmark is highly unlikely. 

The biggest danger as far as I can see would be Israel winning in Austria because they would end up on 20 points and we would need to beat Denmark to finish on 21 points. No goal difference here either. 

If Israel draw with us and Austria then it would go down to goal difference unless we can take something off Denmark but I think that was what you said in your first post wasn’t it?

Hopefully we will beat Israel next month and that would make us firm favourites for the playoffs.

3 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

The performance was not bad at all, but I am surprised at how many are raving about it. We probably were horrible to watch for a neutral or Austrian last night, but then again, who cares what they may think. The Greeks certainly didn't when they won Euro 2004. 

Last night was an excellent and huge psychological victory. And Clarke, to get 6 pts out of 9 is a very good return, one we would all have dreamed of but rarely expected, so well done the team and coaches. Who needs to score too many, if we can scuff in two 1-0 wins, and I will certainly take it. Last night was such a pleasant surprise, similar to Serbia (a) in the sense we achieved a big result away from home against a team who are near enough/pretty much better than us - if going by the last 24 months.  

We've had our fair rub of the green at times, and our penalty ratio is sublime! For the game, it was a nervy but very excellent defensive performance. Austria had one chance that I genuinely feared for, well two - that late free kick from Alaba- but we limited them to basically punting it up the park at times, and although we still punt it one too many times, its slowly changing, with us trying to retain the ball. Gilmour is a HUGE influence on this side, McGregor as well - he gets a lot of unfair criticism IMO- another solid, outstanding performance in a Scotland shirt. He probably doesn't have the character, but he could be a less aggressive but more skillful Scott Brown for us!

Grant Hanley is becoming one of the first names on the team sheet. He's been outstanding of late, and definitely our best defender or most in form one at present (outwith KT, Robbo) Hendry had another accomplished game as well as SOD at right back - he made one mistake that I saw, absolutely sound the rest of the game and that great run would have been magical if it had went in. 

If we are to be as good defensively as we were yesterday, Dykes is a perfect man for Adams. Perfect in the sense that he runs about makes a nuisance of himself, and is very good and holding up play, knocking balls in or to the channels. His finishing isn't great, but if we can take every third chance then I'd certainly take it. 

Its Scotland though, we still have Israel to come. They'll come out flying for that - knowing our next three games are Moldova, Faroes and Denmark - and pretty much a draw, and two wins will near enough secure second spot. So, we need to be careful, and they are a good side. I'm a little concerned about the Faroes (a), they are a very good minnow and we seen how Denmark pushed them all the way, and they beat Moldova by scoring more goals than us. Then again, let's see what happens after Israel - if we win - we could afford to even draw there in Tórshavn.

Havering on, but if you were to say to me 20 minutes into the Denmark game, we would end the week with 6 pts and Austria with 3...etc, 

Good post man👌

49 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I could be misunderstanding you but how would it come down to goal difference in the scenario you have mentioned? You realise we are a point ahead of Israel and 4 ahead of Austria? I assume you are assuming nobody slips up against the Faroes or Moldova?

If we draw with Israel and Israel lose to Austria the best Israel can do is 17 points. Assuming we do beat the Faroes and Moldova (dangerous assumption I know) we would have a minimum of 18 points. Goal difference would not be an issue here.

If Austria don’t get anything in Denmark they would fining on 16 points. If Austria go to Denmark and win then they will end up with a maximum of 19 points and we would also need to take something off Denmark and it could possibly go down to goal difference but Austria winning in Denmark is highly unlikely. 

The biggest danger as far as I can see would be Israel winning in Austria because they would end up on 20 points and we would need to beat Denmark to finish on 21 points. No goal difference here either. 

If Israel draw with us and Austria then it would go down to goal difference unless we can take something off Denmark but I think that was what you said in your first post wasn’t it?

Hopefully we will beat Israel next month and that would make us firm favourites for the playoffs.

Got it wrong with Austria your right. 

Strange bookies prices to make Austria 2nd favs. 

10 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Got it wrong with Austria your right. 

Strange bookies prices to make Austria 2nd favs. 

Does seem odd. Presumably they think Israel will lose to Scotland and/or Austria based on their world ranking? 

Based on the fact they are 3 points ahead of Austria, have played Denmark twice and just pumped Austria 5-2 you’d think Israel would be at least 2nd favourite for the playoffs. If our game next month was in Israel instead of at Hampden I would even have them as favourites. 

Mind you their 5-0 defeat in Denmark probably has something to do with it. 

Edited by Texas Pete

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Does seem odd. Presumably they think Israel will lose to Scotland and/or Austria based on their world ranking? 

Based on the fact they are 3 points ahead of Austria, have played Denmark twice and just pumped Austria 5-2 you’d think Israel would be at least 2nd favourite for the playoffs. If our game next month was in Israel instead of at Hampden I would even have them as favourites. 

Mind you their 5-0 defeat in Denmark probably has something to do with it. 

Looking at the remaining fixtures Israel are in a decent position to get 2nd, if they beat either us or Austria which is entirely possible then they would just need to do the business against the faroes and Moldova and hope we don't get anything out of our last match against Denmark.

It would probably be best to try and bury them next month instead of hoping not to lose the game. 

With regards to the Austria V Israel match it is quite possible Austria will have a new manager in place for that so players will be out to impress. Also, as we are often aware, they will be anxious to protect against slipping down a pot for the seeding system which another defeat would ensure. Austria will also be smarting from that drubbing against Israel so will be out for a bit of pay back. Israel are a tough side to beat at home but away they are not so strong.

11 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

10/11

Also read somewhere that our win in Austria has been the most surprising win of WC qualifying so far, topping Luxembourg 's win over ROi and North Macedonia 's win over Germany! 

27 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

Also read somewhere that our win in Austria has been the most surprising win of WC qualifying so far, topping Luxembourg 's win over ROi and North Macedonia 's win over Germany! 

It's hardly that surprising, on paper our team is pretty equal to austrias, we also just went to the euros and we are a pot 3 team. Israel beating Austria 5-2 is probably much more surprising along with whole pile of other more surprising results across the groups. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's hardly that surprising, on paper our team is pretty equal to austrias, we also just went to the euros and we are a pot 3 team. Israel beating Austria 5-2 is probably much more surprising along with whole pile of other more surprising results across the groups. 

Austria were miles ahead of us in the rankings. Even if anyone thinks that we should be turning them over I’d suggest that our history and lack of away success against even notionally similar level opponents suggests otherwise. 

Our win over then gave us +14.84 ranking points. Israel’s win over Austria was +17.88. 

If you look across all of the games that have taken place in Europe this 3 game period, there’s not many picking up that many points. 

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Looking at the remaining fixtures Israel are in a decent position to get 2nd, if they beat either us or Austria which is entirely possible then they would just need to do the business against the faroes and Moldova and hope we don't get anything out of our last match against Denmark.

It would probably be best to try and bury them next month instead of hoping not to lose the game. 

Absolutely. If we don’t beat Israel at home we probably don’t deserve a playoff anyway.

No disrespect to Israel as they are a decent team these days but you’ve really got to be looking to win your home games against your main rivals if you want to progress. 

45 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Absolutely. If we don’t beat Israel at home we probably don’t deserve a playoff anyway.

No disrespect to Israel as they are a decent team these days but you’ve really got to be looking to win your home games against your main rivals if you want to progress. 

I wasn't expecting anything other than a defeat on Tuesday but in fairness to Clarke that was probably a bit unfair given these type of games seem to play to his  strengths.  Israel is a good benchmark for progress given how often we've played them already  and never seemed to have learnt very much plus this is the type of tricky pot4 team we always seem to have issues with.  

If we drop  to a flat back 5 again like usual and watch their forwards knocking it about a bit it'll be a long night.  If instead like Tuesday Robertson comes out to Dasa in particular instead of leaving him to roam like Cafe like usual, and Gilmour  is told to go and out football Nacho, then their forwards may rarely see the ball.   

On 9/7/2021 at 10:56 PM, Malcolm said:

Not going overboard. It was a good solid performance, we stil missed a few good chances.

As Morrisey said

We needed a win

We got a win

And heaven knows your miserable now.

Enjoy it.It was a good performance.They don't come around that often.

19 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

We are nothing like Greece of 2004.

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

I didn't say we were. I said most neutrals would have found the game on Tuesday quite dull to watch.

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

I didn't say we were. I said most neutrals would have found the game on Tuesday quite dull to watch.

Maybe,but to be honest i couldn't give a rats arse what neutrals think.Their opinion doesn't matter to me.I loved it.End of.

5 hours ago, thesaint said:

As Morrisey said

We needed a win

We got a win

And heaven knows your miserable now.

Enjoy it.It was a good performance.They don't come around that often.

Exactly. Win with a bad performance or a good performance. 

What difference does it make.