Austria v Scotland - match thread - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Austria v Scotland - match thread

Barney Rubble

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Did not see that result coming. Defended well and had a bit of luck when we needed it. Must be a long time since we’ve been second after 6 games!

Me neither. I don’t want to be negative after a great result but Austria are horse shit at the moment which is strange as they had a decent Euros. 7 points from 6 games is dreadful when you’re the second pot team in the group. Long may it continue. 

Israel are our main rivals for second now unless Austria turn it around and go to Denmark and win which I can’t see happening. 

15 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We’ve got an easier run in than Israel at least in the fact that we have already been away to both our main rivals for second place. I’m sure Austria have still to go to Denmark as well. 

The Israel game is massive. If we can win that I’ll be pretty surprised if we don’t take second place.

Think Israel got Austria away aswell....will probably be playing under new manager and they said on comms Austria got play off spot due to nations league so will need some momentum to go into that so think they'll struggle to win in Vienna.

Think 18 points gets 2nd so 7 points next month would wrap it up before Denmark.

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Me neither. I don’t want to be negative after a great result but Austria are horse shit at the moment which is strange as they had a decent Euros. 7 points from 6 games is dreadful when you’re the second pot team in the group. Long may it continue. 

Israel are our main rivals for second now unless Austria turn it around and go to Denmark and win which I can’t see happening. 

They haven't made a world cup since 1998 either. Just similar range to Scotland, few top class players scattered around the pitch (Aranutovic is well past it now though) with lots of mediocre talent alongside them. They were certainly a very good 2nd seed to pull out which is the luck in draws you need sometimes.

Certainly gave Italy a great game in knockouts but then no different to getting a 0-0 against the other finalists.

Edited by Tartan Chris

3 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

They haven't made a world cup since 1998 either. Just similar range to Scotland, few top class players scattered around the pitch (Aranutovic is well past it now though) with lots of mediocre talent alongside them. They were certainly a very good 2nd seed to pull out which is the luck in draws you need sometimes.

Certainly gave Italy a great game in knockouts but then no different to getting a 0-0 against the other finalists.

True but you’d think they’d have come into these games full of confidence. They must have had the stuffing knocked out of them in Israel right enough. 

12 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Think Israel got Austria away aswell....will probably be playing under new manager and they said on comms Austria got play off spot due to nations league so will need some momentum to go into that so think they'll struggle to win in Vienna.

Think 18 points gets 2nd so 7 points next month would wrap it up before Denmark.

Yeah Austria are pretty much guaranteed a playoff along with Wales. Could be affecting their motivation for these qualifiers as they know they can’t win the group and they’ve already achieved what they are competing for. I felt that might have been the case for us in our last Euros group.

Austria will definitely be playing away in the playoff semis if they get there through the NL though so they should be trying their best to finish second in the qualifiers. Too late now though probably as I doubt they would  be seeded in the playoffs even if they do scrape second place. 

25 minutes ago, Andy C said:

SFA  website says sold out already. Can't be right that, that must mean just the certain sections they put on sale, and now they'll release the rest?

You’d think they would have made any tickets that weren’t on sale available tonight to take advantage of people that might be on a high after the result in Vienna who don’t have a ticket for the Israel game but want one. Business acumen has never really been a strong point at the SFA right enough. 

There could be lots of people that check tonight, see it’s sold out and then don’t bother checking again. Baffling decision. 

Unless it is actually sold out already? Can’t see it though. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I definitely can't see Austria winning in Denmark. and it might not even make a difference if they do. I get ESPN coverage here in New York, and I was massively impressed by the atmosphere in that stadium in Copenhagen (they do a fly around before the game). Completely full, right on the pitch and clearly everyone there to party expecting to see a Denmark victory. Not the biggest, but maybe the best home stadium in Europe?

Edited by COLT NY

2 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

I think Austria might be the nation most similar to us in footballing terms. Good historical pedigree but flattered to deceive over the past couple of decades. Also in the shadow of a big brother nation where most of the best players go to play out their careers if they're good enough. I'm still not sure I like them though.

A few notes on today's performance..

Great first half from Adams... We're still limited in the postition, but he showed a point of difference to anyone else we have available upfront, winning the ball back and attacking with purpose.

Gilmour is an exceptional player. If he was Dutch he'd be worth $80 million and wouldn't be playing for Norwich (okay, he'd probably be playing for Ajax).

Does anyone in world football play like John McGinn? He seems to have unique talents and physique. Great to see his brother get a cap in such a pivotal game.

SOD... Great guy, and has never let Scotland down. Good for him. But how long until we see Calvin Ramsey in a Scotland shirt?

A solid all-round performance and great result. Pleasingly, they got the pressing game back in order and stifled Austria's chances. I don't get the commentators feeling it was a harsh penalty as it looked a stonewaller to me especially on playbacks. Our defence was solid across the backline and O'Donnell showed why Clarke has faith in him.

In midfield we made for a compact unit. I thought McGregor had a great game dribbling the ball out of tricky situations to great effect. McGinn's driving forward runs added to our attacking options. And Gilmour continues to grow. He picks up the ball in tight areas and you just want him to get rid of it quickly nut he twists and finds room so well and uses the ball to great effect.

The two strikers put in a great shift too with us managing to utilize Dykes brawn and hold up play and the pace and attacking runs of Adams.

I cannot fault anyone tonight and we will head into our match against Israel in high spirits whereas Israel surely will feel a little deflated. Pity it wasn't in three days time though.

The downside of the night was Hanley's booking. He will be a miss. Perhaps replace him with Cooper or Gallagher. I am not sure but I think Israel have Elmhady suspended too.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

A solid all-round performance and great result. Pleasingly, they got the pressing game back in order and stifled Austria's chances. I don't get the commentators feeling it was a harsh penalty as it looked a stonewaller to me especially on playbacks. Our defence was solid across the backline and O'Donnell showed why Clarke has faith in him.

In midfield we made for a compact unit. I thought McGregor had a great game dribbling the ball out of tricky situations to great effect. McGinn's driving forward runs added to our attacking options. And Gilmour continues to grow. He picks up the ball in tight areas and you just want him to get rid of it quickly nut he twists and finds room so well and uses the ball to great effect.

The two strikers put in a great shift too with us managing to utilize Dykes brawn and hold up play and the pace and attacking runs of Adams.

I cannot fault anyone tonight and we will head into our match against Israel in high spirits whereas Israel surely will feel a little deflated. Pity it wasn't in three days time though.

The downside of the night was Hanley's booking. He will be a miss. Perhaps replace him with Cooper or Gallagher. I am not sure but I think Israel have Elmhady suspended too.

In todays game thats a stonewaller especially with the help of VAR. Two guys are wrestling him, with one of the guys having both his arms pulling on him for several seconds like a rugby player would. Its tough luck for austria but they were rough all night and we deserved to get that key decision in our favour. 

Was a good solid performance from a defensive point of view and I thought mcgregor was excellent. Thats Serbia away, England away and Austria away where he's been our best player or one of them. Other big performers were tierney, Gilmour, Hanley, Hendry imo. 

Only negative was that we didn't create alot of chances and didn't keep possession well for large periods of the match. If we want to qualify for the world cup we need to be slightly better imo. 

I still can't see us qualifying for the world cup but to get the play off spot would be great and would allow us to go into the euro 2024 with some confidence in ourselves. 

Edited by mccaughey85

37 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

In todays game thats a stonewaller especially with the help of VAR. Two guys are wrestling him, with one of the guys having both his arms pulling on him for several seconds like a rugby player would. Its tough luck for austria but they were rough all night and we deserved to get that key decision in our favour. 

Should've been a second yellow for Hinteregger too so Austria got a break as well. And him still being on the park resulted in Hanley's booking, which did look a harsh decision. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

My Ratings for last nights game. 

Gordon 6

Hanley 8.5

Hendry 8

Tierney 8

Robertson 7

O donnell 7

Mcgregor 8

Gilmour 7.5

Mcginn 7.5

Adams 7.5

Dykes 7

Would be interesting to know how much was expected of players before game and compare with what they actually did. For me Hendry Adams and O'Donnell played above their ratings with the first two having their best performances yet for Scotland. 

I would say you are a bit down on Mcginn and its hard to give Gordon a better rating but he played a big part in the overall defencive performance. 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

A lot people are suggesting Austria are pish and are therefore downplaying the result. That was a proper Scotland performance with aggression and belief. I think we’d have taken something from Denmark if we’d reached the same levels. We have good players and this is what they can do with the bit between their teeth. 

Austria are pish. They have 7 points from 6 games in a group where they are seeded second. They have played everyone in the group (Scotland twice) and have only beaten the Faroes and Moldova. 

That doesn’t mean Scotland didn’t play well last night but let’s be realistic. 

23 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Austria are pish. They have 7 points from 6 games in a group where they are seeded second. They have played everyone in the group (Scotland twice) and have only beaten the Faroes and Moldova. 

That doesn’t mean Scotland didn’t play well last night but let’s be realistic. 

I’m not saying they’re brilliant but they did pretty well at the Euros - 6 points in their group. I say again, the level of performance last night would be enough to beat many teams so it shouldn’t be downplayed. It is up to the players to not let that level drop again. 

First 5-7 minutes thought we were in for a do'ing... then we started to show some hunger, and bar a couple of suicidal passes from SOD, thought we settled in to the game very well.

Hanley and Hendry looked excellent at the back, and Hanley will be a big miss next month as it means totally altering the back line v Israel (be it move Hendry across and play McT at LCB, or try someone like McKenna at CB in place of Hanley).