Patterson, Fraser and McLean out - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Patterson, Fraser and McLean out

Squirrelhumper

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I've read some irrational, delusional pish on social media forums over the years but SOD being under constant scrutiny because his brother is a priest is an absolute belter. The guy isn't a good fitba player, it's as simple as that.

If we need a late goal and SOD launches a Hail Mary...(complete the sentence?)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

So if I’ve got it right then the criticism of O’Donnell comes from Rangers fans who are pissed off because he’s keeping their boy Patterson out of the team and his brother is a priest?

That would be the same Rangers supporters that were also told have no interest in Scotland and in fact support England.

Something doesn’t add up here.

You haven't got it right aaid.

The criticism of O'Donnell is coming from supporters of Scotland who are looking for a scapegoat before an important qualification fixture has even started.

Let that sink in.

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

The criticism of O'Donnell is coming from supporters of Scotland who are looking for a scapegoat before an important qualification fixture has even started.

Let that sink in.

So what’s all this stuff I’m reading above about his brother being a priest?  Which was news to me.

14 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Let that sink in.

As a motherwell fan, I hope my club captain has an absolute stormer and he helps us on our way to a victory tonight...but I've watched every game he has played since he signed with us and I dont rate him highly at our level let alone for the national side.

O' Donnell is better as a full back in a back 4 than a wing back. Running in to your team mate when he us about to prepare for a shot on goal, misplaced passes, letting the ball run under your feet when the world is watching are some of the reasons he is getting criticism. Whoever brought religion and club loyalty into this thread is pathetic and doesn't belong in this part of the board (let alone the board overall). There are enough bawbags in the football related section for that.

Patterson had a great game on Saturday including some crucial tackles so will be a big loss. 

3 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

As a motherwell fan, I hope my club captain has an absolute stormer and he helps us on our way to a victory tonight...but I've watched every game he has played since he signed with us and I dont rate him highly at our level let alone for the national side.

That's fair enough - it's obvious that he divides opinion amongst the support.

SC should clearly be looking to improve the RB berth in the team after finding us a reliable striker. However if he deems that SOD is the most trustworthy of his options for major fixtures at this point, then that's good enough for me. He worked with him for two full seasons after all, so SC will know better than any of us if he is the best option available at this time.

5 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

That's fair enough - it's obvious that he divides opinion amongst the support.

SC should clearly be looking to improve the RB berth in the team after finding us a reliable striker. However if he deems that SOD is the most trustworthy of his options for major fixtures at this point, then that's good enough for me. He worked with him for two full seasons after all, so SC will know better than any of us if he is the best option available at this time.

I'm no longer worried about the RB position. Patterson, ramsay and ralston have that covered.

13 hours ago, ProudScot said:

7/10!? 🤣

Aye - O'Donnell was rock solid defensively tonight (again).
Anyone who gives him stick after that performance is an idiot.

All Scottish fans should be delighted to see a Motherwell player perform at this level.

Edited by Haggis_trap

2 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

O'Donnell was better than he's been last night but my main criticism of him is that he's too slow to play that position at this level.  For someone who looks strong and athletic he's incredibly one paced.

I agree, if Patterson is fit and available, he’d be my first choice. He’s a better footballer and more of an athlete. Same with McTominay and McGregor. If McTominay is fit and available, he starts for me.

34 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

O'Donnell was better than he's been last night but my main criticism of him is that he's too slow to play that position at this level.  For someone who looks strong and athletic he's incredibly one paced.

I think last night showed O’Donnell’s limitations at this level. I wouldn’t say he played badly, he had a good game and as I said earlier his commitment is exemplary.

However, all the Austrian play came down their left hand side, it’s clear they’d picked him out as the weak link. TBF, as we’re so strong on the left most teams would target out right regardless of who we were playing there.  However, the number of crosses into the box from that side showed he was failing to do one of the key aspects of the role, which is to stop them coming in in the first place.   TBF to him, I don’t think he had a lot of support in the same way that Robertson, Tierney and to a degree McGregor all cover for each other on the other flank.

In this system though, defending is only half the job and a big part of the role of wing back is the ability to get forwards and provide attacking width.  He did this but his delivery into the box was atrocious.  

A limited player who always gives his all.

Patterson has the potential to make the position his own for the next decade as Alan Hutton - the last decent right back we had - did.  He needs to play regularly for Rangers though to develop that  

Edited by aaid

7 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think last night showed O’Donnell’s limitations at this level. I wouldn’t say he played badly, he had a good game and as I said earlier his commitment is exemplary.

However, all the Austrian play came down their left hand side, it’s clear they’d picked him out as the weak link. TBF, as we’re so strong on the left most teams would target out right regardless of who we were playing there.  However, the number of crosses into the box from that side showed he was failing to do one of the key aspects of the role, which is to stop them coming in in the first place.   TBF to him, I don’t think he had a lot of support in the same way that Robertson, Tierney and to a degree McGregor all cover for each other on the other flank.

In this system though, defending is only half the job and a big part of the role of wing back is the ability to get forwards and provide attacking width.  He did this but his delivery into the box was atrocious.  

A limited player who always gives his all.

Patterson has the potential to make the position his own for the next decade as Alan Hutton - the last decent right back we had - did.  He needs to play regularly for Rangers though to develop that  

Yeah that’s pretty much bang on. 

Blinkers on types think he showed his critics what he can do last night but in reality he’s very limited but did his best and got forward well. He seems to be dangerous in terms of potential goal scoring but his crossing his pretty abysmal.

He does give 100% though and clearly cares about doing his best 

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yeah that’s pretty much bang on. 

Blinkers on types think he showed his critics what he can do last night but in reality he’s very limited but did his best and got forward well. He seems to be dangerous in terms of potential goal scoring but his crossing his pretty abysmal.

He does give 100% though and clearly cares about doing his best 

I think the overriding feeling is that Patterson has a higher ceiling, whereas O'Donnell has reached his. I still think O'Donnell is the safer option right now. Patterson looks electric, but you can see the lack of game time means he's prone to slackness.

I hate talking about O'Donnell being "limited" though. It's very unfair on him. His limit is a competent first team internationalist. Not exactly a bad limit to have. 

4 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I think the overriding feeling is that Patterson has a higher ceiling, whereas O'Donnell has reached his. I still think O'Donnell is the safer option right now. Patterson looks electric, but you can see the lack of game time means he's prone to slackness.

I hate talking about O'Donnell being "limited" though. It's very unfair on him. His limit is a competent first team internationalist. Not exactly a bad limit to have. 

Good post. That should be the last word on the SOD subject. Not too long ago we were worried about right back and right centre back. Now? RB no worries for the foreseeable and RB we have Hendry with McTom as back-up and maybe Jason Kerr to be recruited as cover?

52 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I agree, if Patterson is fit and available, he’d be my first choice. He’s a better footballer and more of an athlete. Same with McTominay and McGregor. If McTominay is fit and available, he starts for me.

Still don’t buy into the mctominay must start theory just cause he plays for man united.

He is still a Jack of all trades master of none for me.

25 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Still don’t buy into the mctominay must start theory just cause he plays for man united.

He is still a Jack of all trades master of none for me.

He’s a box-box midfielder who’s played every role but his natural role. I think alongside Gilmour in midfield we’d start to see the best from McTominay.